Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My job is being moved overseas while on probation

Options
  • 17-04-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

So I found out the annoying news that the job I've been hired to do in Dublin is being moved overseas to Poland and Bulgaria, and that my probation will finish and I won't be kept on.

Can a company do this? I've turned down other opportunities to be in this position, I'm five months in to a 6 month probation, I've been getting great performance reviews, I was all set to stay on. This is happening to myself and one other guy on the team who started a couple weeks before me.

Do I have any options here? I'm going to see if the company will arrange for another role in the company based in Dublin. Is there any legal process I can look at? I see this as essentially being made redundant, but since I'm on probation does that even count.

I wanna try come out of this in the best shape possible, as I've a child coming in July and this news has ****ed up all of my plans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're being made redundant, but since you're there less than a year, there's nothing you can do. Company can let you go and are not obliged to pay any redundancy.

Other than seeing if you can get an internal transfer, the best thing you can do now is ask for a written reference and ask them to supply two copies on company-headed paper, signed or stamped.

You'll have difficulty getting in touch with anyone in the company in a couple of years, so this written reference will be gold.

On the plus side, this gives you a couple of things in your favour when it comes to job hunting.

1. If they're keeping you on till the end of your probation, you can get paid while job hunting.

2. You're available for an immediate start

3. You have a genuine reason for leaving the company, you don't have to make up some bull about looking for a fresh start.

Get your CV out there today. Interview on company time. Seize any job offer that comes your way and forget about giving notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If you are still on probation then you can usually be let go at the drop of a hat, without any justification being required, and I do not believe that any legal recourse can be taken. This is one of they key reasons for having a probation period in the first place, in that an employer can easily remove someone who is not a fit without any fuss or complicated process. It works in the employee's favour too of course, as one can also leave without any long notice period to be served.

You say that you have been getting great feedback, so this in itself I would see as a positive, for both the possibility of moving to a new role internally, or finding a new role outside of the company.

Advertisement