Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Options
  • 17-04-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭

The local Elections are on in just over a month (Friday May 24th). With the city boundary extension kicking in after this election the ward boundaries of the city have been increased to reflect this change. Despite this vast increase in area there is actually one less ward as the 3 wards on the less populated north side of the city have been merged into 2.

Somewhat oddly, the total number of councillors is due to remain the same for a vastly increased area and population.

The following areas have been transferred from the county to the city:
    Rochestown, Douglas, Grange, Donnybrook, Frankfield, Cork Airport, Togher, Ballincollig, Kerry Pike, Tower, Blarney, Killeens, Ballyvolane, White's Cross, and Glanmire
    (link)

Total breakdown by party currently is:
    FF - 10
    SF - 8
    FG - 5
    AAA -2
    WP - 1
    Ind - 5
    (link)

jRYPxDR.jpg

How do people see this going?
    Will you be voting?
    Will FG and FF total numbers more reflect national opinion polls afterwards?
    Any interesting candidates running that you know of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Declared candidates by party

Fianna fail
    North East - Cllr. Tim Brosnan, Cllr. Kenneth O’Flynn, Martin Dorgan
    North West - Cllr. John Sheehan, Sean Coleman, Cllr. Tony Fitzgerald
    South Central - Cllr. Sean Martin, Cllr. Tom O’Driscoll
    South East - Cllr. Mary Rose Desmond, Cllr. Terry Shannon
    South West - Cllr. Fergal Dennehy, Cllr. Daithí O’Donnabháin, Colm Kelleher

Fine Gael
    North East - Cllr. Joe Kavanagh, Lorraine O’Neill
    North West - Julie O’Leary, Damian Boylan
    South Central - Shane O’Callaghan
    South East - Cllr. Deirdre Forde, Cllr. Des Cahill
    South West - Cllr. PJ Hourican, Cllr. Derry Canty, Sinead Ronan, Garrett Kelleher

Sinn Fein
    North East - Cllr. Mick Nugent, Mandy O’Leary-Hegarty
    North West - Cllr. Kenneth Collins, Cllr. Thomas Gould, John Stanton
    South Central - Cllr. Eoghan Jeffers, Cllr. Fiona Kerins
    South East - Cllr. Chris O’Leary
    South West - Cllr. Henry Cremin, Eolan Ryng

Green Party
    North East - Oliver Moran
    North West - Mark Cronin
    South Central - Dan Boyle
    South East - Lorna Bogue
    South West - Colette Finn

Labour party
    North East - John Maher
    North West - Luke Carroll
    South Central - Luke Field
    South East - Peter Horgan
    South West - Ciara Kennedy

Social Democrats
    North East - Sinéad Halpin
    South Central - Patricia O’Dwyer
    South East - Cllr. Joe Harris
    South West - Ciaran McCarthy

Solidarity
    North East - Carol Brogan
    North West - Fiona Ryan

People Before Profit
    South East - Ed Fitzgerald
    South West - Tjitske de Vries

Other Parties
    North East - Cllr. Ted Tynan WP
    North West - Catherine Coffey WP, Martina Murphy HRRA, Finian Toomey Aontú
    South East - Anna Daly Aontú, Cllr. Diarmaid Ó Cadhla HRRA
    South West - Joanne Murphy Aontú, Shirley Griffin HRRA, Thomas Kiely HRRA

Independents
    North East - Sean O’Sullivan, Cllr. Ger Keohane
    North West - Joe O’Callaghan
    South Central - Cllr. Paudie Dineen, Lekha Menon Margassery, Sean Cronin
    South East - Cllr. Kieran McCarthy
    South West - Cllr. Thomas Moloney

Retiring Councillors
    North East - Stephen Cunningham SF
    North West - Marion O’Sullivan SOL
    South Central - Tom O’Driscoll FF
    South East - Shane O’Shea SF, Laura McGonigle FG, Nicholas O’Keeffe FF
    South West - John Buttimer FG, Mary Shields FF

All data taken from adriankavanaghelections.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Might throw SD a vote.

Used to vote Green/FG, but im sick of the greens

According to this i should vote FF (76%)
    https://ireland.isidewith.com/en/political-quiz

Just couldnt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Might throw SD a vote.

Used to vote Green/FG, but im sick of the greens

According to this i should vote FF (76%)
    https://ireland.isidewith.com/en/political-quiz

Just couldnt though.

I feel some what dirty after doing that quiz.
    It said I should vote Green or Sinn Fein, never in a million years.
    I'd sell up and leave the country if Sinn Fein were in government.

I'll be giving my vote to FG.

Italix wrote: »
    I feel some what dirty after doing that quiz.
    It said I should vote Green or Sinn Fein, never in a million years.
    I'd sell up and leave the country if Sinn Fein were in government.

I'll be giving my vote to FG.

SF get in, you can leave your wallet out on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

93% match for a Shinner according to that quiz :vom:

They're all pretty close at the 85-90 mark after that except Renua who were down in the 60's.

Goes to show the problem we have in this country where every main party is virtually identical unless you go into real specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrpdap

That quiz had me as SDP/SF, would never vote for either
    I did the quiz twice, going for the additional questions the second time.
    Top three results were the same each time, but dropped from 90% alignment to 80%
    Overall, its hard to know who to vote for. Few of the candidates are standing out in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I’m now in the same ward as Rochestown. Anyone got a list of of city and former county councilors that hung out with the M28 steering group or opposed the M28 in any shape or form?

I don’t normally blackball on a single issue, and try to take a measured approach, but I don’t want to accidentally give a vote to anyone who has objected in this case

Jaysus I’ve just spent the morning researching my local candidates (I was in cork co. council area 5 years ago). Grim reading. They all claim to be in favor of a strong Cork economic engine and all then have stood against infrastructure or other initiatives designed to facilitate same.

More than half of non shinners want to block m28. Grim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

MrDerp wrote: »
    Jaysus I’ve just spent the morning researching my local candidates (I was in cork co. council area 5 years ago). Grim reading. They all claim to be in favor of a strong Cork economic engine and all then have stood against infrastructure or other initiatives designed to facilitate same.

More than half of non shinners want to block m28. Grim

The following are who i am aware of either being involved with or attending the fundraiser for the objectors:

Mary Rose Desmond
    Jerry Buttimer
    Dan Boyle
    Lorna Bogue
    Micheal Martin

All of the above attended a fundraiser in recent times for them, photos on the M28 Facebook page.

Others i wouldn't vote for even if they were on my patch as they are also opposed to it and have attended steering group meetings are

Marcia Dalton
    Seamus McGrath
    Michael McGrath

Buttimer seems to be the main one who is very close to them however.

I need to limit how much i say about the motorway directly, there is an open thread over in Legal discussion about that.

I am based in the Wilton/Togher area and will be quizzing them all on their position in regards to this project, that will dictate how i vote. I am pro M28 in its current format, not the proposal of the objectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks OP, didn’t realise my ward was changing, I am now south east.

I’d consider a vote for anyone except that absolute vandal Diarmuid Ó Cadhla.
    How he keeps getting away with illegal signs all over the place, as well as painting over historical signage... ugh. Blood boils at his sense of entitlement.

• Advertisement

Thomas Maloney puts on a great kids evening in Bishopstown on bonfire night.

Worth a vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks OP, didn’t realise my ward was changing, I am now south east.

I’d consider a vote for anyone except that absolute vandal Diarmuid Ó Cadhla.
    How he keeps getting away with illegal signs all over the place, as well as painting over historical signage... ugh. Blood boils at his sense of entitlement.

His jeep was parked outside Penneys on Friday in the loading bay and displaying a disabled persons blue parking card. It has the big stickers with his picture on the side of it. His gofundeme campaign has only raised 746 euro out of 5000.

The following are who i am aware of either being involved with or attending the fundraiser for the objectors:

Mary Rose Desmond
    Jerry Buttimer
    Dan Boyle
    Lorna Bogue
    Micheal Martin

All of the above attended a fundraiser in recent times for them, photos on the M28 Facebook page.

Others i wouldn't vote for even if they were on my patch as they are also opposed to it and have attended steering group meetings are

Marcia Dalton
    Seamus McGrath
    Michael McGrath

Buttimer seems to be the main one who is very close to them however.

I need to limit how much i say about the motorway directly, there is an open thread over in Legal discussion about that.

I am based in the Wilton/Togher area and will be quizzing them all on their position in regards to this project, that will dictate how i vote. I am pro M28 in its current format, not the proposal of the objectors.

Cheers,

Appears Deirdre Forde is involved with Buttimer on the ground. Peter Horgan the labour candidate hasn’t said anything directly on social media, but shares steering group posts.

It would appear that my candidates are focused on vehemently defending the status who on just about everything, pitching on local issues - where local issues seems to be confined to anything locals are peeved about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

MrDerp wrote: »
    Cheers,

Appears Deirdre Forde is involved with Buttimer on the ground. Peter Horgan the labour candidate hasn’t said anything directly on social media, but shares steering group posts.

It would appear that my candidates are focused on vehemently defending the status who on just about everything, pitching on local issues - where local issues seems to be confined to anything locals are peeved about.

I am now also sucked in here. The likes of buttimer are your real typical politician. Will say anything to get someone on side. Anything against him or fg is sensationalism. He got some kick in the stones when he wasn't elected last time out. Only reason he is even still about is enda Kenny put him in the seanad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bells of shandon

I have studied all the candidates of the usual fraternity of chancers belonging to FF/FG/ Liebour. I find no difference in any of their policies.. Our political system is like a freak show of incompetent ,self-serving fools.
    I will vote Independent, rather than not vote at all, or spoil my ballot paper.

Really a protest vote against the clowns selling off the country and running it into the ground.

Posters are up this morning around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Posters are up this morning around the city

Srsly that is so overboarding, there should be legislation to have at least 10 meters between two of the same posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Harika wrote: »
    Srsly that is so overboarding, there should be legislation to have at least 10 meters between two of the same posters.

Mary Rose Desmond has a poster on pretty much every pole in Douglas. It's insane.

Billy Kelleher's (for the Euros-not the locals) are all over the South Link and the city centre. He must have had an army of people out at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Billy Kelleher's (for the Euros-not the locals) are all over the South Link and the city centre. He must have had an army of people out at midnight.

Many of the posters were up well before midnight (which is against the law).

• Advertisement

FG in "populist" move:
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leos-auction-politics-exposed-as-home-tax-plan-shelved-for-votes-38044739.html

They'd be the first to whinge about FF doing it

FG, Lab and the greens can fcuk off.
    SF and FF can too.
    Im running out of options.

Can we take these bloody election posters down? There's one for sinn feins Fiona Kerins on a pole outside my house. It's basically all we can see now when looking out the living room window. It's extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

He had two louts putting up posters on the South Ring, at the end of the on-ramp from the Coolroe roundabout. That was at 5.20pm yesterday.

I hit the horn and got a little wave back from one of them.

Interestingly, the posters were gone this morning.

Maybe conscience got the better of them!

So Billy Kelleher was breaking the law it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

They pay fellas with vans cash in hand to put them up. FF & FG even pay the same guys, so you see the bizarre sight of their posters being put up at the same time by the same people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Des Cahills posters in Douglas are ridiculous.
    They are massive, the one in Maryborough woods is at least 10 ft by 4ft, are they allowed put posters in housing estates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dbu wrote: »
    Des Cahills posters in Douglas are crazy.
    They are massive, the one in Maryborough woods is at least 10 ft by 4ft, are they allowed put posters in housing estates?
    Saw them earlier today on Rochestown Rd, there should a max limit on the size; he’s taking the p!ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

On the N20 between Mallow from Cork there are posters for some woman (I can't even remember her name) on every single pole looking both ways for a stretch of half a mile at Rathduff. It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand the point of 100 posters for the same candidate in one place. :confused:

The fact that I can't remember her name says how effective they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Saw them earlier today on Rochestown Rd, there should a max limit on the size; he’s taking the p!ss.

This is the same guy that complained about a builders sign in Blackrock village being too large a few weeks ago. Lost 4 votes in this house anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 46,124 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have studied all the candidates of the usual fraternity of chancers belonging to FF/FG/ Liebour. I find no difference in any of their policies.. Our political system is like a freak show of incompetent ,self-serving fools.
    I will vote Independent, rather than not vote at all, or spoil my ballot paper.

Really a protest vote against the clowns selling off the country and running it into the ground.
    Dont forget your free bog roll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They were up early in the north east ward and more this evening. I means there's two posters from different candidates all the way down the main road in my area out of the city to mayfield. It's madness.

Advertisement