Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bring back hanging?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There are plenty of convicted murderers walking the streets of Ireland.

Also, it is possible to break the law INSIDE prison.

Yes but you were talking about America they don’t commute death sentences to off you go try and be nice. They spend the rest of their lives in prison. It would surely be the same here a death sentence would be the most extreme sentence not the next thing up after 200 hours community service.
    Your second point is true of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Purge would be better craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

salmocab wrote: »
    Well it’s not the death penalty or freedom it’s generally or life in prison so they aren’t out committing crimes.

Its not hard to direct crime from a cell.

Id prefer to hung rather than be a criminal who ruined people's lives.

Innocent people getting on with their business and getting killed, badly assaulted,
    Men and women's lives ruined over being inappropriately molested.

There will always be evil bastards and social justice warriors on this planet who'll scream for human rights.

I think the system should be changed and bring back the rope, it'll do society no harm.

My grandfather seen the last hanging in Ireland.

It's quite quick id say, a bit of a drop and lights out.

Obviously a fair trial will go ahead.

I don't believe that the death penalty is a deterrent. That's my take on it

But it'll be one less scumbag on our streets and some of these guys influences have a ripple effect, hang em....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a finite amount of serious criminals.
    And here was me thinking that humans reproduced. Silly old me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Its not hard to direct crime from a cell.

Id prefer to hung rather than be a criminal who ruined people's lives.

Innocent people getting on with their business and getting killed, badly assaulted,
    Men and women's lives ruined over being inappropriately molested.

There will always be evil bastards and social justice warriors on this planet who'll scream for human rights.

I think the system should be changed and bring back the rope, it'll do society no harm.

My grandfather seen the last hanging in Ireland.

It's quite quick id say, a bit of a drop and lights out.

Obviously a fair trial will go ahead.

They're not dead after the long drop, they're unconscious. It can take up to 45 minutes for the body to fully expire with the LD.

I had to chose a method I'd go with Firing Squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    and no Atari Jaguar option either.

Poll is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No. When you look at how bias and screwed up the system is, carrying out absolutes like death is a very bad idea. The system needs looking at. You can help bankrupt the country and get a fat pension and a pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There are much better ways to put a dangerous Criminal to death as hanging is a bit barbaric IMO. But for the worst of crimes a death penalty would be very useful.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Of course it isn't. If it were there wouldn't be people added to the numbers on death row in the States or quite a few other countries every year.

• Advertisement

They're not dead after the long drop, they're unconscious. It can take up to 45 minutes for the body to fully expire with the LD.

I wouldn't be able to watch it though.

Firing squad sounds good, id say the instant pain is something they'd never remember.

I did an LLB at Griffith College after my undergrad in Lim. At that time I got involved with The Innocence Project. It basically consists of scores of law students, professors and lawyers worldwide pouring over reams of Death Row Files from the States mostly.

Ever case I studied was a heinous crime, murdering kids, women, men ,rape.

All cases were convicted by a court of law and had exhausted their appeals.

The condemed came from every section of society.

After a couple of months on the Innocence Project I realised that I didn't want to help any of these men, I wanted them to die.

It made me want to a Prosecuting Attorney for the State, sending animals to the Chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It made me want to a Prosecutoing Attorney for the State, sending animals to the Chair.

Maybe there's something wrong with you, an incredible amount of research has been done in the last few decades regarding the route causes of criminality, we may actually know how to try prevent serious crimes from happening

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe there's something wrong with you, an incredible amount of research has been done in the last few decades regarding the route causes of criminality, we may actually know how to try prevent serious crimes from happening
    I don't need a criminology lecture,.

For what it's worth I'm anti Death Penalty, I just found that the Innocence Project had the opposite impact on me, I trawled through horrific case files and court testimony .

I left it because I felt that 100 per cent of the cases I studied who were awaiting execution were Guilty of their crimes..

We're talking post fact here, after the crime has been committed.

I'm all for understanding the nature of people on Death Row and what we as a society can do to prevent it from happening, but that doesn't solve the problem of what do we do with people who are currently awaiting the DP.

It takes a lot to get execution in the US also. The State will only seek it when the crime is abhorrent.

Many States with the Death Penalty don't pursue it in lesser cases, even if the charge is punishable by death.

I don't need a criminology lecture,.

For what it's worth I'm anti Death Penalty, I just found that the Innocence Project had the opposite impact on me, I trawled through horrific case files and court testimony .

I left it because I felt that 100 per cent of the cases I studied who were awaiting execution were Guilty of their crimes..

apologises, maybe an overreaction from myself, id imagine it was an interesting experiencing, trawling through all those cases, even though somewhat disturbing. i have spoken to people that have tried to rehabilitate serious criminals, some of their stories are horrific, some professionals even being unable to deal with it, and refusing to do so. im not sure we know what to do about serious criminal acts, and those that commit them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Unless they come back as zombies the hanged criminal won’t commit any other crimes.

Unless they come back as zombies the hanged criminal won’t commit any other crimes.

it doesnt really solve the problem

salmocab wrote: »
    Yes but you were talking about America they don’t commute death sentences to off you go try and be nice. They spend the rest of their lives in prison. It would surely be the same here a death sentence would be the most extreme sentence not the next thing up after 200 hours community service.
    Your second point is true of course.

I used “America and other countries” as an example to prove the point that when one scumbag dies, another previously innocent person doesn’t decide to go bad. Not in relation to anything else.

• Advertisement

Nowadays you can work out from height/weight of the scumbag how long the rope has to be so that the persons neck breaks when they hit the bottom of the rope. So it is pretty instant in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

100%, way to much scum roaming the streets these days. Not enough prison spaces, and it would be very cost effective. Society has become way too soft. There is a midpoint between killing someone who has wronged you and the namby pamby "hooman rights" nonsense we have now, and punishing someone with death for a heinous crime should be that midpoint.

Any evidence to suggest its cost-effective? how could death be a mid point?

Any evidence to suggest its cost-effective? how could death be a mid point?

Length of rope: €10
    Year of imprisonment: €45,000

I’ll let you work out the maths.

Well if lynching someone accused of a crime is point 1 and crying about some scumbags human rights is 10. Then hanging after a fair trial is about a 5 on that scale in my eyes. So the midpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I don’t understand the argument that the death penalty is wrong as it violates the human rights of citizens.

The concept has existed in western legal theory for centuries that govt may deny certain rights to those who violate the rights of others.

When the government puts you in prison, they’re denying your rights.

If the govt can take away the right to liberty and property of criminals, why can’t it take the right to life when the crime reaches a certain magnitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd be of the view of being only being used in the most serious of crimes with irrefutable proof and on repeat offenders, it's not something that should be used unless theres is absolutely no doubt whatsowever in the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’m in the belief that an offshore island as a prison with no guards and no way off. Just enough provisions for half the prisoners. That should be a good deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’m in the belief that an offshore island as a prison with no guards and no way off. Just enough provisions for half the prisoners. That should be a good deterrent.

And absolutely no grey tracksuit bottoms,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

In terms of hanging yea bring it back who would shed a tear for Larry Murphy, Sean is Fitzpatrick ........ and any number of the feral runts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only if trolls and re-regs count !

Only if trolls and re-regs count !

That's you swinging from the rafters so lol

Length of rope: €10
    Year of imprisonment: €45,000

I’ll let you work out the maths.

Well if lynching someone accused of a crime is point 1 and crying about some scumbags human rights is 10. Then hanging after a fair trial is about a 5 on that scale in my eyes. So the midpoint.

That's one of the most factual responses I have ever read.

Ten out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

And absolutely no grey tracksuit bottoms,

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Infini wrote: »
    I'd be of the view of being only being used in the most serious of crimes with irrefutable proof and on repeat offenders, it's not something that should be used unless theres is absolutely no doubt whatsowever in the case.

This is the legal standard for being guilty of every crime. “Proof beyond all reasonable doubt”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yes for very serious crimes and for not indicating appropriately on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If it does get brought back they need to have a large viewing gallery for the execution so all the people with revenge fantasies about what they would do to X and Y can tug themselves dry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Infini wrote: »

Presumably there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever in the 160+ cases of people who have been freed from death row in the States since 1973 either?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

Hi there

Would you support bringing back hanging?

It's a shame the ones who need hanging are the ones who would be in charge of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is this about Hanging with Hector?

Yeah, alright.

Advertisement