Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of load bearing pillar

Options
  • 17-04-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

Just asking if anyone has experience of removing a load bearing pillar and ballpark costs. Our kitchen/dining room has a pillar about 60cm wide on all sides (roughly 2.5m high). It would have been part of the original back wall of the house.

A single level kitchen extension was built at least 15 years ago and the section of wall between the old back door and kitchen window remains. It's in an awkward position and I'd like to remove it but know it is load bearing.

Any advice or ballpark costs would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

It can be removed once it has been thoroughly investigated.

If I picture it correctly , to remove this is substantial works. Its there for a reason.

New steel required, possibly new pad foundations for steel columns at existing walls.

What is access like to house?Is it detached?

Maybe even a crane for such a steel to span 5- 7m + if supporting upper floors?

Extensive redecoration of openings rooms, painting after works etc.

Do you want this steel visible or flush ceiling??

Off the wall figure , again , If I imagine correctly 20k minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Neroli

Thanks FPA,

It's a 2-bed terraced house that was built in the 50s with mass concrete walls.

Re: the steel being visible or not, I don't mind to be honest if there's a significant difference in cost!

Advertisement