Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-crutch users

Options
  • 17-04-2019 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

What is it with the abundance of a certain class of people with one crutch and nothing wrong with them? Are there benefits attached? They're not even hiding it.

I noticed it at first with a man on one crutch (for 2 years by my count now) always standing on a corner and every few mornings being interrogated by Gardai, leading to him changing corners the next week. Now they seem to be getting more plentiful around the place. I regularly see them even in groups walking along carrying their crutch as if it were a hurley, one night they were having a sword fight with them.

I've been lucky enough require crutches quite a few times in life through breaks and ligament tears, and never saw the need for just one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dmakc wrote: »
    What is it with the abundance of a certain class of people with one crutch and nothing wrong with them? Are there benefits attached? They're not even hiding it.

I noticed it at first with a man on one crutch (for 2 years by my count now) always standing on a corner and every few mornings being interrogated by Gardai, leading to him changing corners the next week. Now they seem to be getting more plentiful around the place. I regularly see them even in groups walking along carrying their crutch as if it were a hurley, one night they were having a sword fight with them.

I've been lucky enough require crutches quite a few times in life through breaks and ligament tears, and never saw the need for just one.

Nailed it... never seen them walking around without an issue and using it as a third leg? :rolleyes:

A varying combination of:

-scamming the social
    -falling around while out of the head (down the steps in the flats used to be a big one)
    -poor general health from being a junkie
    -poor condition of legs from injecting gear
    -brittle bones from lack of calcium
    -getting battered for not paying debts
    -injuring themselves from running from the Garda
    -injuring themselves from various other illegal activities (climbing walls etc)
    -using them as a means to stash drugs
    -using them as a weapon to batter the other scrotes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I noticed it in Cork first a few years ago and it seems to be getting more common with the local lads and ladies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

The best one is the lad I regularly see around Townsend Street in a wheel chair, he uses his legs to move himself along. Have seen him walking around too not a bother on him. Fooling no one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    The best one is the lad I regularly see around Townsend Street in a wheel chair, he uses his legs to move himself along. Have seen him walking around too not a bother on him. Fooling no one!!

Hes fooling exactly who he needs to fool.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

dmakc wrote: »

Try getting a Metatarsal Fracture then .

While there is a need for 2 at the time of the fracture as time goes by you can get by in using one

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

one crutch USERS is right :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One punch Mikey would sort them out, unless they are practicing for The Day of the Jackal.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If only one leg has a problem and the difficulty is intermittent, surely one crutch is enough? I was hit by a car years ago and after a few weeks progressed to one crutch and then none.

Just because someone can stand at times, doesn't mean they don't need a crutch or wheelchair.

Advertisement