Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage issues - credit card debt

• 17-04-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

So today i got an email from the bank we applied for a mortgage with saying that I was flagged for an issue with a credit card from years ago.

As the amount was small (€150) and from 2016, and was subsequently cleared by myself.

It was my own stupid fault, the card balance was originally cleared and a charge was made after the fact but i didn't see it and it accrued and all the letters were sent to my mothers address not my own.

My question is, will this hinder my mortgage application or can I explain it to the bank that it was a small amount and an oversight on my part?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Is this shown up on your credit report with www.icb.ie or is it just on record with the bank that you had the credit card with and who is processing your mortgage.

You have two options (1) If it's not on your credit report apply to a different lender or (2) Just write a letter the lender apologizing and explaining you moved and was under the impression that the card was cleared etc. It's not a huge amount and if explained and an apology offered it should be ok
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi All,

So today i got an email from the bank we applied for a mortgage with saying that I was flagged for an issue with a credit card from years ago.

As the amount was small (€150) and from 2016, and was subsequently cleared by myself.

It was my own stupid fault, the card balance was originally cleared and a charge was made after the fact but i didn't see it and it accrued and all the letters were sent to my mothers address not my own.

My question is, will this hinder my mortgage application or can I explain it to the bank that it was a small amount and an oversight on my part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Trish56 wrote: »
    Is this shown up on your credit report with www.icb.ie or is it just on record with the bank that you had the credit card with and who is processing your mortgage.

You have two options (1) If it's not on your credit report apply to a different lender or (2) Just write a letter the lender apologizing and explaining you moved and was under the impression that the card was cleared etc. It's not a huge amount and if explained and an apology offered it should be ok

I'm assuming it's with the ICB as the bank and credit card provider are separate companies.

I've requested a copy from the ICB in the meantime

Advertisement