Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City vs Tottenham (0-1), CL Q-Final 2nd Leg, VM Sport Extra 1 & BT Sport 2, 8pm

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

greenspurs wrote: »
    Please show me anywhere, for any other team you have used the term "Gassed" … Ever..
    I'll wait.

Once you’re not having a go at Chelsea, or their DUP brothers Rangers or linfield it’s all cool. So spurs are fair game. Maybe if you put a sash on them it’d be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It was silly when it was one Spurs fan with their knickers in a twist. It's absolutely hilarious tho that they're all jumping on board* now and thinking they have some right to be offended because someone used a well known term, that has some distant reference to their club.

Ridiculous.

*this is not a reference to a train. Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Quazzie wrote: »
    It was silly when it was one Spurs fan with their knickers in a twist. It's absolutely hilarious tho that they're all jumping on board* now and thinking they have some right to be offended because someone used a well known term, that has some distant reference to their club.

Ridiculous.

*this is not a reference to a train. Relax

WOW...
    Arsenal and Chelsea trying to rile Spurs supporters on a thread...
    And both of them protected …… Must be fun for yee…

COYS .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Bye bye.

To Man Utd … ???

#Salty

COYS

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

greenspurs wrote: »
    WOW...
    Arsenal and Chelsea trying to rile Spurs supporters on a thread...
    And both of them protected …… Must be fun for yee…

COYS .

You're really embarrassing yourself now. You seem to think this is a tribal thing or something (I'm a LFC fan, for the record). No, it's a common sense thing - you should apply it once in a while. You're being absolutely ridiculous.

Both you and the other lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

This place is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its gas.

• Can't bate a bit of midweek faux outrage

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Usually it's the losing teams fans getting upset

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

You'd think spurs fans would be happy not looking for drama where there isn't any. Camped and gassed are used all the time in football. No wrongdoing on the part of GavRedKing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

votecounts wrote: »
    You'd think spurs fans would be happy not looking for drama where there isn't any. Camped and gassed are used all the time in football. No wrongdoing on the part of GavRedKing.

I’m not giving a **** whether he meant it or not, but when a Chelsea fan comes out with that kind of patter it’s a fair assumption it’s intentional

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Liamosail, golfball37, greenspurs don't post in this thread again please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Another exciting tie and late drama brought to you by the invaluable away goals rule.

City cost through the penalty they missed and inability to get one which would've seen them through in the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What's the average age of people around here? Ten?

Fcking hell, that guy looking for anti-semetic references. What the hell, such crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

dfx- wrote: »
    Another exciting tie and late drama brought to you by the invaluable away goals rule.

City cost through the penalty they missed and inability to get one which would've seen them through in the madness.

Aguero was disappointing for me over the two legs.

He took his goal very well last night but he was largely out of the game all last night.

D.Silva wasnt much better either TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What dafuq is happening here? :confused:

I'm still trying to figure out if people are being serious. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What an incredibly pathetic way for a thread on such a great game to end. So much to talk about from that match yet a few idiots look to get offended. Never seen a thread derailed by the victors before. Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

.G. wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance it's penalty. Var and the ref got it spot on.
    I think it was so obviously not a penalty that I think VAR got it wrong by even suggesting the referee review it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi Guys,

Has anyone a link to decent highlights ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Spurs lucky to win first leg, City won second leg easily. Best team never went through but that's football. If City had played for another 20 minutes they've have stuck another 4 pass that shambolic spurs defence.

City were not good enough to go through in 180 mins so you think they only needed another 20??

As for the "shambolic spurs defence", you know city conceded 3 at home yea? How much did city spend on their defence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone a link to decent highlights ?

Thanks

If in Ireland, you can see them on the Virgin Media Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mr.H wrote: »
    City were not good enough to go through in 180 mins so you think they only needed another 20??

As for the "shambolic spurs defence", you know city conceded 3 at home yea? How much did city spend on their defence?

Exactly, City had a bench of players anyone of who would probably have started for Spurs last night. Spurs were dogged (not a sexual reference) with injuries and their bench was as weak as I can remember.

City have no-one to blame but themselves, and Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Exactly, City had a bench of players anyone of who would probably have started for Spurs last night. Spurs were dogged (not a sexual reference) with injuries and their bench was as weak as I can remember.

I dont think the injuries were really that bad though.
    Kane was the only "A-Lister" missing. And Son enjoys playing that role so much, they've hardly missed Harry.

Dier has hardly played in months anyway. Not really missed.
    Winks is still establishing himself in that team. They still had a pretty strong midfield last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Neither of these teams are quite good enough to win the Champions League. Without Kane, Spurs are very limited in attack. Llorente can very effective as a linkman but won't actually score many so they are mostly reliant on Son who is more of an attacking midfielder or Moura who never plays well in big games.
    If Vincent Kompany is your first choice centre half then you have problems. Even in his prime he was never more than of average Premiership standard and now he is just a complete liability. I would be critical of Pep for still selecting him when you have Stones available. The keeper Ederson is not a shot stopper but more of a sweeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I dont think the injuries were really that bad though.
    Kane was the only "A-Lister" missing. And Son enjoys playing that role so much, they've hardly missed Harry.

Dier has hardly played in months anyway. Not really missed.
    Winks is still establishing himself in that team. They still had a pretty strong midfield last night.

Its not so much who they had missing from the first 11 as to who they had if they game developed in a way that they needed. For instance Sissoko was injured, if he had Dier/Winks he comes on. Lorente wasn't able to continue the press and Kompany and Laporte were far more comfortable from a defensive point as Son moved out wide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

chicorytip wrote: »
    If Vincent Kompany is your first choice centre half then you have problems. Even in his prime he was never more than of average Premiership standard and now he is just a complete liability..

That has to be the most stupid statement I’ve ever read on here. How in gods name did you come to that assumption?

One of the greatest centre half’s to play in England, it’s not even debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

City are similar to PSG - they can get found out in these big games and are exposed to a surprise result because they are not used to facing some of the attritional aspects of the game you need in a high stakes knockout game against top sides.

There's a few aspects to this.

They're not used to having to defend because they dominate so many of their games. City have a great defensive record, but this is more based on an ability to suffocate games through total dominance rather than defend with backs to the wall. You're not going to get this luxury in CL QFs and beyond.

They don't have a quality shot-stopping goalkeeper that can be depended upon. Ederson is perfect for them in the league, his ball-playing ability is second to none and he's brilliant as being a sweeper keeper. But is he that good at saving shots? Not usually an issue but when you play a high stakes game it becomes one. He was poor for the opening goal and doesn't fill me with confidence as a shot stopper.

Full backs are there predominantly for their attacking qualities. Again, not a problem in the league, and will in fact make you more likely to win a league, but in these ties you leave yourself vulnerable.

Playing Kompany when you know you've got a pacy duo of Moura and Son was a bizarre call to me, Stones or Otamendi would have been far better. Kompany at this stage is only good for an attritional battle against a Deeney. He is incredibly slow at this point and is past it as a starter at this level. He should be whelled out as 4th choice in cup matches or in an injury crisis only.

I think the CL has a unique pressure to it, you need to be able to have a spell where you can defend backs to the wall if needed, or really control and slow down the game. City can do this but the early goals took this option out of their hands, they were always chasing. You need to have players in key defensive positions you can depend upon not to make any mistakes.

I appreciate that the margins were incredibly fine and City were unlucky to go out, as were PSG. Both teams would have been good enough to win the CL. But these kind of deficiencies end up leaving more to chance than should be.

City are superior to Spurs and were the better side over two legs, as were PSG to United. But they both went out, and truly great clubs who aspire to dominate in Europe like the recent Madrid side or the great Barca team don't have these holes in them.

It will be a challenge for Pep to address this, because I do think having brilliant ball playing centre backs, fullbacks who are more like wingers, and a goalkeeper who is better than 90% of midfielders at passing the ball are all things which help you steamroll weaker teams in the league and tot up about 100 points year on year, but may not be suited to attritional, high pressure, high stakes CL games against top opposition.

I can see why a few of my mates are tipping Liverpool for the CL now, because they do have a solid keeper, a world class centre back, and at least one full back in Robbo who can do the defensive side as well as the attacking side. As well as of course the ability to score goals. This seems like a better set up and more balanced approach for winning the CL.

I think Pep can and probably will do it with City, let's not forget the very small margins in play last night, and I still think they are probably the best team in Europe right now, but they are so good and have so much financial backing that these small margins that went against them honestly shouldn't have really come into play.

Not to take anything away from Spurs who were fantastic and I'm glad for Pochettino that the rubbish narrative that gets pedalled against them can't be rolled out here.

chicorytip wrote:
    Neither of these teams are quite good enough to win the Champions League. Without Kane, Spurs are very limited in attack. Llorente can very effective as a linkman but won't actually score many so they are mostly reliant on Son who is more of an attacking midfielder or Moura who never plays well in big games. If Vincent Kompany is your first choice centre half then you have problems. Even in his prime he was never more than of average Premiership standard and now he is just a complete liability. I would be critical of Pep for still selecting him when you have Stones available. The keeper Ederson is not a shot stopper but more of a sweeper.

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

gstack166 wrote: »
    That has to be the most stupid statement I’ve ever read on here. How in gods name did you come to that assumption?

One of the greatest centre half’s to play in England, it’s not even debatable.
    Wow

Definitely off the mark to say that Kompany was only ever mediocre, he was a top Centre Back in his day. Wouldn't make it into my top 5 in the league but a superb defender all the same and a City legend.

But I would be in agreement that he shouldn't be starting these matches.

Son must have been licking his lips seeing him on the team sheet last night.

Don't forget he should have been sent off against Liverpool in the 2-1 win. We could easily be sitting here talking about him costing City both the league and Champions League

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

chicorytip wrote:
    If Vincent Kompany is your first choice centre half then you have problems. Even in his prime he was never more than of average Premiership standard

Is this an attempt to bait someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great achievement for Spurs to get through. There would have been some of the usual bottlers nonsense written today about Poch and Spurs if that goal had have stood. Instead its Pep that will now get criticism.

Morzadec wrote:
    But I would be in agreement that he shouldn't be starting these matches.

To be honest i only agree with that because of the rest of citys defence. Kompany right now would start for every single team in the premiership liverpool included. He might not be the main man for some sides but he would easily be one of the center back pairing.

In fact i believe he is still the best center back city have. Laporte is a passenger. Has a bit of pace and is decent in the ball. But defensivly he is average.

Of course thats just my opinion. I am sure many would disagree

Watched the highlights again earlier. City fans could have done more near the end. A lot of quiet spells from them.

Spurs fans were excellent all game.

What a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

To be honest i only agree with that because of the rest of citys defence. Kompany right now would start for every single team in the premiership liverpool included. He might not be the main man for some sides but he would easily be one of the center back pairing.

In fact i believe he is still the best center back city have. Laporte is a passenger. Has a bit of pace and is decent in the ball. But defensivly he is average.

Of course thats just my opinion. I am sure many would disagree

Suffering jesus kompany has gone for 2/3seasons now, he wouldn't even get a game at utd and that's saying something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ballyargus wrote:
    Is this an attempt to bait someone?

It's a sad fact. Stones may not be the world's greatest but should be first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's a sad fact. Stones may not be the world's greatest but should be first choice.

Kompany is one of City's best ever players and has been one of the best players in the Premier League over the past ten years (let alone defenders) - "average" he ain't.

He has declined, there isn't much doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take the faux outrage elsewhere.

There was no malice intended in the post.

Feel free to replace the words I used with "10 men behind the ball" or "parking the bus".

"Ran out of steam" or "no energy left"

Before you do though, I'd suggest doing a quick search for the use of a team or player "gassing" in sport or a team being "camped in their own half"

You'll be shocked, maybe surprised to learn its not holocaust reference.

Why is it there is never any malice intended in your post, yet you continually piss off spurs fans. Even when we had our own forum you would come there and piss us off, and even got us shut down. No wonder people hate you around here.

Examples of Gavred trolling spurs fans.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057718230&page=8
    "Ye were very good, theres a trophy in that Spurs side but not this season, IMO.
    I love the calling of fans scum though and then saying theyve no class.
    The irony isnt lost on me.
    Good luck in Wembley next year too
    "- Gav

Multiple spurs fans banned in this thread aswell. Why does bannings follow this guy around?

D0NNELLY
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GavRedKing View Post
    "Saying ye'll win a trophy soon and wishing ye luck for next year is trolling now?
    you know well when trolling is trolling. telling spurs fans see ye next year when its a running joke is trolling"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99592538&postcount=78
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99596510&postcount=129
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99596699&postcount=134
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103299423&postcount=115
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103302760&postcount=127

"Saying ye'll win a trophy soon and wishing ye luck for next year is trolling now?
    I'll leave ye too it so, enjoy the run in and maybe we'll see ya over in the main forum some day"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The persecution complex is strong.

Arghus wrote: »
    The persecution complex is strong.

My account is 6 years older than yours. Also I had another account before that. Do some research, it is there for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This thread is nearly better than the game itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement