Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague sending gold stars

Options
  • 17-04-2019 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

So what do you make of this?

A guy in my office sends people gold star jpegs in an email when they complete a job

I didn't believe it until I received the aforementioned email today after completing a simple website change request from him

Part of me is amused, the rest of me wants to smack him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Send him back a Blue Peter Badge jpeg to up the stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Send him back a Blue Peter Badge jpeg to up the stakes.

A blankety blank chequebook and pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

A guy in my office sends people gold star jpegs in an email when they complete a job

I didn't believe it until I received the aforementioned email today after completing a simple website change request from him

Smack him

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Reply with a Bullseye Tankard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

good Lord! the rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Jim fixed it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Inform the relevant authorities. Laugh as his hard drive is placed in an evidence bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

We get them also.

The come with up to 2 grand in cash also though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Are you sure it was Gold and not Bronze? Could be he is letting you know that you are below expectation?

Is someone in the office keeping score?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s an great workplace of this is tue top of the “makes me want to smack him” list.

I’d find it a bit condescending or something, it’s a bit odd at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean he is trying to assume authority over you, I would ask his boss straight out if he is your boss because he has assumed authority and you were unaware of the company restructure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s an great workplace of this is tue top of the “makes me want to smack him” list.

I’d find it a bit condescending or something, it’s a bit odd at least.

It might just be an awarkward way of thanking or complimenting the person. i would send an occasional txt thanking them or complementing colleges for things they have done well.

Dont automatically think its something bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would assume he has some emotional, psychological or intellectual problem and just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

I ended up in the canteen at the same time as him today - he's clearly a very very strange guy.

I'm going to make it my mission to collect 50 stars by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Life would be very boring if we were all the same. If this is a genuine (if quirky) 'thank you' then why not accept it as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

If you get 6 stars, do you get to put them on a glove and wipe out half of mankind with a click of your fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I ended up in the canteen at the same time as him today - he's clearly a very very strange guy.

I'm going to make it my mission to collect 50 stars by Christmas

So it's doing exactly what it was intended to do, a little motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Print it out and frame it, then leave it on your desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Tell him straight, its condescending and yoi don't want anymore of it. Tell him you don't need regognition as you enjoy yoir role and doing a good job.
    I had a similar issue, more of a 'oh good man look at that hey team look at that this man is winner' type nonsense.

I said it to him 1 to 1 but the added spiel about not needing praise as im all about bringing the team to the top seemed to soften the blow lol

The majority of managers that go on like that mean it sincerely, they are just either old school or utter cheese merchants!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Maybe he's actually just really funny and he's being ironic. Either way it's the opposite of a problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

We get them as well in work but with a 50 euro one for all and it's quite normal to print it out and stick it to your desk.

My desk at the moment is full of these and certs that I have complated since joining the company I work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is he just a colleague or your boss?

whats the actual problem tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Just send a quick reply: "Do not send me spam emails again, this is a place of work".

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I mean he is trying to assume authority over you,

I think your right. The OP should do the Alpha thing and present their genitals in a show of dominance and defience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Work Problems OP1: "I work terribly hard, do an amazing job, customers love me but noone ever recognises my effort. I don't like this. What should I do?"

Work Problems OP2: "I work terribly hard, do an amazing job, customers love me and colleagues recognise my effort. I don't like this. What should I do?"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

whats the actual problem tho

This.

If you cannot engage in genteel office-worker banter like this, I'd wonder who the actual problem lies with.

Next time your colleague sends you a request, look out a suitable emoticon to acknowledge the request with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Stop whining. I'm unemployed and don't get any gold stars from anyone. I have to download them myself and it's not the same at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Stop whining. I'm unemployed and don't get any gold stars from anyone. I have to download them myself and it's not the same at all.

Good luck getting a job until here have a star from me.

2lu2842.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

You should get a cork office board and start a league to see who gets the most stars

Advertisement