Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Veg Curry - sour smell

Options
  • 17-04-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've cooked a Thai veg curry with freshly bought ingredients and there is an awful sour smell from it.

The ingredients freshly bought were:
    • butternut
    • peppers
    • onions
    • sweet potato
    • broccoli
    • cauliflower
    • tesco thai red curry paste
    • creamed coconut
    • coconut milk

I've made this numerous times before with no issues. However, I can only think that one of two things happened - the coconut milk (canned) was off somehow - or I added the creamed coconut too late to the mixture and it didn't get blended in correctly and 'went off' overnight before I packed it for the freezer.

Which is more likely?
    A bit irritated as the ingredients were expensive enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Hi,

I've cooked a Thai veg curry with freshly bought ingredients and there is an awful sour smell from it.

The ingredients freshly bought were:
    • butternut
    • peppers
    • onions
    • sweet potato
    • broccoli
    • cauliflower
    • tesco thai red curry paste
    • creamed coconut
    • coconut milk

I've made this numerous times before with no issues. However, I can only think that one of two things happened - the coconut milk (canned) was off somehow - or I added the creamed coconut too late to the mixture and it didn't get blended in correctly and 'went off' overnight before I packed it for the freezer.

Which is more likely?
    A bit irritated as the ingredients were expensive enough.

It's Probably the coconut milk, but sometimes those Tesco jars can be awful quality. I use the blue dragon brand and mix it with Normal milk. Turns out ok most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

jcorr wrote: »
    It's Probably the coconut milk, but sometimes those Tesco jars can be awful quality. I use the blue dragon brand and mix it with Normal milk. Turns out ok most of the time.

Funny that. I checked the Tesco website and the paste had a 2 star review. It was a different one to what I usually use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It might be the nam pla smell, its a common ingredient in many Thai curries, check if it has it in the ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299624478

INGREDIENTS: Water, Onion, Red Pepper (12%), Lemongrass (5%), Red Chilli (5%), Garlic Purée, Modified Maize Starch, Kaffir Lime Leaf (3%), Tamarind Concentrate, Ground Coriander, Salt, Rapeseed Oil, Chilli Powder, Sugar, Coriander, Colour (Paprika Extract), Potassium Chloride, Flavouring, Maltodextrin.

Advertisement