Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Block shed being built onto garden boundary wall

• 17-04-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, looking for advice, neighbour to side of my house is building a solid block shed onto our shared boundary wall, not onto our house, shared garden boundary wall, using the boundary wall as the main shed wall, this wall is solid block to their side and decorative brick work to our side. I assume this wall will will be used to support the roof etc. Can they do this without permission from us first. Will this building put undo pressure onto our wall over time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any pics?
    First you need to determine who owns the boundary or if it’s shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ptd

http://tinypic.com/r/35jfbxl/9

this is a shared boundary wall and runs from beginning of my front garden up the side entrance of my house then it joins fencing onward up the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

ptd wrote: »
    Will this building put undo pressure onto our wall over time?

Most of the weight of the shed walls etc. will be bearing down, so if they've put in sufficient foundations, should be fine. If they've tied the new building into the boundary wall and the shed settles a little, that might cause some issues. However on the whole, the new shed over time is more likely I'd think to act as a buttress and add stability to your boundary wall.

Should have at least asked you first, if just out of courtesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Should have at least asked you first, if just out of courtesy.
    Actually, it's a legal responsibility.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes it would have been nice to have been asked first, but then we would have probably objected to the build and suggested that they build their shed independent of our shared boundary wall.

Their new block work it joined directly to the boundary wall on their side and the roof is being supported via a concrete plint that runs along the length of the boundary wall which it also then attached to the boundary wall. Our concern is with all the heavy items that people over time attach to the wall inside, (tools, bikes, shelving, equipment etc as we have in our own shed), along with the normal movement of the shed will in time effect the wall on our side which is finished with yellow brick.

a house down from us has the same wall and with disturbance on the other side of their wall, all the yellow brick collapsed and fell down off the solid concrete block work.

They have also concreted their foundations over a mains sewer?

Should we be concerned, or leave it be, just to be neighbourly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The Irish are such bloody scofflaws.

They shouldn't be building over a sewer and shouldn't be using the boundary wall the way they are.

Plenty of heartache for the OP in 10 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tbh he should have spoke to you first but that's bygone now. From the pic it looks like he put a bit of time and effort into it. He has used flashings and you said he put in a lintel to hold up the roof. So it looks like he knows a little about construction. As for building over the sewer as long as he has left access to it it shouldn't cause you any bother and it there is a problem later on it will be his shed that will be dismantled. As for hanging things up on the wall boundary walls are designed for this they use 20nt blocks on the flat.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The Irish are such bloody scofflaws.

They shouldn't be building over a sewer and shouldn't be using the boundary wall the way they are.

Plenty of heartache for the OP in 10 years or so.

Building over a sewer is common practice here and in other countries.
    I fact, we have regulations to cover it and also technical details available on how to do it properly.

The boundary issue is a much bigger problem in my experience.

Do you think we should object to this shed, or leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have to ask yourself. what happens when you wish to sell your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

kceire wrote:
    Building over a sewer is common practice here and in other countries. I fact, we have regulations to cover it and also technical details available on how to do it properly.

kceire wrote:
    The boundary issue is a much bigger problem in my experience.

Would you be able to point me to these technical details and regulations if available online please

eurokev wrote: »
    Would you be able to point me to these technical details and regulations if available online please

TGD H
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/technical_guidance_document_h_2016.pdf

There may be more available from the county council or Irish water if building new infrastructure that will be taken in charge in the future.

Do you think we should object to this shed, or leave it be.

Unfortunately the pic you posted is not clear so cannot see the detail.
    It depends on how the shed is built and how the boundary wall is being used.

Can you post a clear not blurry picture?

http://tinypic.com/r/243ku36/9

best image i can get from here

http://tinypic.com/r/243ku36/9

best image i can get from here

My opinion is that it’s exempt development as the works are contained within the person site. Even though the flashing extends onto the boundary wall, the flashing only extends half way onto the boundary so within their site.

Precedent for this has been set by county councils and indeed An Board Pleanala.

ABP Ref : ABP-302774-18

http://tinypic.com/r/2qbzxwm/9

this is the actual size of the boundary wall, not a pretty site from our side

http://tinypic.com/r/2qbzxwm/9

this is the actual size of the boundary wall, not a pretty site from our side

Is the brick and block build up as it always was or was it built like that to accommodate the shed?

yep, yellow/red brick to my side and concrete block to their side always there, they are using the wall that was already there as their fourth wall/back wall of shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

yep, yellow/red brick to my side and concrete block to their side always there, they are using the wall that was already there as their fourth wall/back wall of shed.

I'm curious as to what you would prefer them to do, they have built a shed on their own property.

If they had built a new fourth wall a couple on inches away from the boundary wall would you have been happier?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm curious as to what you would prefer them to do, they have built a shed on their own property.

If they had built a new fourth wall a couple on inches away from the boundary wall would you have been happier?

Your answer in your second paragraph is the perfect solution to the question in your first.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Your answer in your second paragraph is the perfect solution to the question in your first.

Thanks, but the question was directed towards the person that started the thread and there is no question in my first paragraph.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Yes I would have preferred them to build their shed independent of our shared boundary wall, or at least discussed it with us so that we could all agree on what would be best all round. Instead of just building it regardless.

I am only now interested in whether this build interferes with the boundary wall, especially as we are most likely going to sell next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm curious as to what you would prefer them to do

..is a question, even if you omitted the question mark.

I had a neighbour in a previous house I owned build a shed using a boundary wall. The roof overhung into my garden by a few inches.

Was all built before I bought the house, really annoyed me as it was the first thing you'd see when you looked out the back windows.

People should really be building a second wall as you said and using that as the shed wall rather than the boundary one.

Yes I would have preferred them to build their shed independent of our shared boundary wall, or at least discussed it with us so that we could all agree on what would be best all round. Instead of just building it regardless.

I am only now interested in whether this build interferes with the boundary wall, especially as we are most likely going to sell next year.

To be honest if anything I'd say the shed will have strengthened the boundary wall the way it is built, and it seems to have been built with consideration to your entitlements.

I can't grasp why they would need to consult you before building on their own property, but that's probably just me.

To be honest, OP, that looks like a fairly respectfully built shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To be honest, OP, that looks like a fairly respectfully built shed.

I have to agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 readymix111

Would have to agree with the above posts, if anything this would support the wall further and looks to be done to a good standard, this doesn't seem to overhang onto your property and is within the persons property. As far as I can see this wouldn't have any bearing if you plan to sell. Sheds around the country are built using this method.

Thanks for all the comments. We are going to leave it for now as it does not impact on us for now. Hopefully will not need to revisit this issue at a later date. Many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement