Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does nearly every job now require a specific qualification

• 18-04-2019 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I need a rant as im really frustrated with the rigmarole of trying to get a job, I have an undergrad and postgrad which are suited to the job im in but adaptable to many different environments, without giving too much detail about my profession, I love the work itself but the lack of security and opportunities in this sector have forced me to reevaluate my career prospects.
    Ive had nothing but problems with finding permanent jobs on top of management and pay issues, im now trying to find a way out of this career.
    I thought my experience and qualifications should stand to me when job searching, they show that I have problem solving skills, computer, literacy and management skills. I can easily work on my own initiative or in a team, get on very well with colleagues, work well in stressful/challenging situations, new environments, I am a great mediator, im adaptive, reliable and responsible, caring and have experience with all different ages, groups and disabilities.
    So why is it so hard to get a job?
    Every job ive searched besides bar work and waitressing (Which all require 2+ years experience) state the employment requirements are a qualification specific to the role, every job now requires very specific level 5 or 6 qualifications, why?
    I dont feel it should be mandatory, having knowledge and experience of the role should be expected but surely having a degree at a higher level with the experience and skills needed should be acceptable.

The idea of going back to college for another 1+ year(s) to study something that may or may not get me job is not something I want to do. Surely my qualifications and previous work experience show that I am more than capable.

Im sick to death filling out long online application forms which require essay length statements and indications of suitability for the job, applications that wont be read. What happened to sending a cv? Why isnt this an acceptable form of job application anymore?
    Are employers so unwilling to train in new staff or give anyone a chance at a job outside their field of study that they wont even entertain the notion of offering them employment?

Why is this so hard!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I am also sick of applying for jobs, and filling in those stupid tweaked essay answers.

A major part of the problem is that a degree is now effectively worthless, because colleges are extremely reluctant to fail people, because it's bad for business. You turn up, pay your fees, and get your degree. It is very much a quantity over quality industry now.

The job specific level 5 or 6 seems like a sensible way to get into an industry, if businesses are willing to drop the requirement to do a higher degree beforehand. Then you could maybe qualify for and try three "industries" in the same time it takes you to do one higher degree and try to set yourself apart from every other Tom, Dick and Harriet who has exact same degree.

I would also prefer to send a CV, obviously, because that would shift the work of finding the relevant bits therein from my shoulders to the shoulders of the hirer. This is certainly not in the hirer's interest though, and in all fairness, you should probably have a better idea of what you bring to the table than they do.

They need some way to filter out the many, many applicants they receive - an online application form is a good way to do this, as at least some level of interest is required to jump through those hoops - otherwise everyone would just send CVs to everywhere.

Keep your chin up. Write one good answer to the generic "ability to work in a team, good organisational skills, literate" bull**** question, and just paste it in to every application. It won't be perfectly tailored, but as you say, nobody is likely to read it anyway. Inasmuch as possible, devising answers you can paste in for the other questions is helpful too, though they are more likely to require some tailoring.

Keep at it - something will turn up! Also, perhaps be more picky about which jobs you do apply for, rather than applying for everything which seems vaguely related to what you're after or which you might be able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

In todays environment, you are on a looser looking for a job. You have to search, fill out specific online application forms as well as tuning your CV every time. This costs a lot of time and energy and frustration.

You must put yourself in a situation where the employer comes looking for you. What does your online, social media or face to face networking profile say about you that would make it easy for an employer to say, this guy looks possible to employ.

Instead of spending all your time on job search, spend it on bettering your profile and experience. Do quality online courses, if out of work, get some free ones. If in work, try and get on projects that will lead you in the direction you want to be. Dont be thinking about your next project but think about the good one, two years away.. What experience do you need to gain now to put you in a with a shot in two years.

One good way that worked for me is that I started a business, and spent time developing my idea, looking for funds etc.. In the end business wound up, due to me not finding the funds and at the same time, several employers spotted me and said yea he looks good. Starting the business gave a lot of confidence to ask questions and learn about new areas in your target industry. That worked for me and even though business did not succeed, I look back and am proud of it for where it got me now.

1 year in college is nothing compared to several years of wondering what if , why cant I etc. Perhaps the college course you are thinking of has great placements or suitable projects which could be angled to your jobsearch.

OP have you actually applied for any of the jobs you're interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

You don't need to tick every requirement they have to get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Simply put its academic inflation as a result of the downturn people stayed in college longer and did masters instead of leaving when no jobs with a degree. It's a load of ****e afaic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Are employers so unwilling to train in new staff or give anyone a chance at a job outside their field of study that they wont even entertain the notion of offering them employment?

Yes it is very hard to imagine why any employer would seek to take on someone that is actually qualified to do the job when they have a chance to take you and your sense of entitlement on instead.

No one owes you a living. Either sort yourself out and get the qualifications you need to switch careers or stay where you are, it is up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

AiryFairy, what would you like to do? I think you might fare better if you choose specific roles that you're actually interested rather than this 'any job will do' mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Credentialism. 20 years ago, if you wanted to become a journalist, you entered as a cub reporter and spent your first few years learning the ropes, compiling the cricket scores and local deaths. Now, for the same role you're competing with people with masters degrees in multimedia journalism out the wazoo. Old school journos actually don't actually think these advanced degrees are worth a sh*te, but they've somehow become the new bare minimum to enter the media world.

20 years ago, it's twenty years since I started studying journalism and you most definitely did not get a job as a cub reporter unless you had a qualification or your Dad was the editor (knew plenty of the latter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lux23 wrote: »
    20 years ago, it's twenty years since I started journalism and you most definitely did not get a job as a cub reporter unless you had a qualification or your Dad was the editor (knew plenty of the latter).

The broader point was that journalism degrees weren't really a thing 20 years ago. Entrants might have studied law or whatever - now they're the new normal.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    The broader point was that journalism degrees weren't really a thing 20 years ago. Entrants might have studied law or whatever - now they're the new normal.

No, they were definitely a thing 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A person could own a child care facility or it could be any care type of organiation they know someone who would be just fabulous at the job however they cant give them a the job because of regulation they have to employ qualified people it's the law. That is what is happning a lot of the time.

The employer is asking for the qualification because they have too its nothing personal againg the person looking for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Most job specs are aspirational. They are describing the perfect person for the job. That means they are usually willing to accept someone who doesn't tick all the boxes.

Also, a lot of job specs are political. "Our department is full of really smart people - look at the skills we require in our job specs!"

By applying you have nothing to lose. Just make sure your cover letter is excellent.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Most job specs are aspirational. They are describing the perfect person for the job. That means they are usually willing to accept someone who doesn't tick all the boxes.

Also, a lot of job specs are political. "Our department is full of really smart people - look at the skills we require in our job specs!"

By applying you have nothing to lose. Just make sure your cover letter is excellent.

If the job is madated leagaly to have qualified people there is no around not having the qualifications.

mariaalice wrote: »
    If the job is madated leagaly to have qualified people there is no around not having the qualifications.

Sure, I'm not saying a plumber can work as a doctor, I'm talking about jobs which don't require a professional qualification or some sort of membership of an association or entity.

Sure, I'm not saying a plumber can work as a doctor, I'm talking about jobs which don't require a professional qualification or some sort of membership of an association or entity.

it's not just jobs like that you cant work in a chid care facility with out a qualification the same with a nursing home, in a finincial institution a relatively low levl job in fraud prevention could require the person to a have an AML qualification and so on.

mariaalice wrote: »
    it's not just jobs like that you cant work in a chid care facility with out a qualification the same with a nursing home, in a finincial institution a relatively low levl job in fraud prevention could require the person to a have an AML qualification and so on.

Sure I think everyone understands this.

Credentialism. 20 years ago, if you wanted to become a journalist, you entered as a cub reporter and spent your first few years learning the ropes, compiling the cricket scores and local deaths. Now, for the same role you're competing with people with masters degrees in multimedia journalism out the wazoo. Old school journos actually don't actually think these advanced degrees are worth a sh*te, but they've somehow become the new bare minimum to enter the media world.

Absolute rubbish. Twenty plus years a go the standard entry qualification was the Certificate in Journalism from the College of Commerce in Rathmines. Both Oral Guerin and Paul Williams among others were there during my time.

So a labourer on a building site or a farm, janitor, dishwasher, shelf stacker, warehouse worker, grounds person, maybe some retail positions, anything else?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So a labourer on a building site or a farm, janitor, dishwasher, shelf stacker, warehouse worker, grounds person, maybe some retail positions, anything else?

Here's my post again:
    OMM 0000 wrote:

So what I'm saying here is just because a job spec says you need 5 year's digital marketing experience, that doesn't mean they won't accept someone with less than that.

Almost every job is like this.

Obviously I am not saying a labourer should be applying for computer science lecturer positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. Twenty plus years a go the standard entry qualification was the Certificate in Journalism from the College of Commerce in Rathmines. Both Oral Guerin and Paul Williams among others were there during my time.

Maybe not 20 years' ago, but you get the general gist. That's how it worked historically.

I know two guys I grew up with who worked as a proof readers in the The Irish Times in the 90's with just a passes in Inter-cert English because both fathers was in the print room for years.

The Cert from Rathmines was one thing, getting into the NUJ was another. Thankfully those days are gone now.

Advertisement