Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrote off car

Options
  • 18-04-2019 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I crashed my car into a ditch. No other parties involved, no injuries. The car is completely fecked though and had to be recovered with a tow truck and a write off as far as I am concerned. The car is 14 years old, with high mileage. I don't intend claiming through insurance. Do I need to notify the insurance company at all if I have no intention of claiming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

You are supposed to notify your insurance company of any accident with your car, whether there are other parties involved or not, even if you don't intend to claim.
    However, many people don't do this. Who's to know you had an accident?
    If you intend to scrap this car and buy another, just switch over your insurance and say you've bought a new car.
    You're not claiming, but they could still use the accident against you in some way to increase premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get the insurance disc from the car and take it and the cert to the surance company, ask them to suspend the policy. This will stop the clock and save you money because the policy will not be running while you have no car. Just tell them you've scrapped the car because some major part (e.g. gearbox) broke and it's not worth repairing.

If there's even a 1% possibility that the car could be 'repaired' and end up back on the road again, be sure to have it officialy scrapped by gettting to to an 'authorised treatment facilty', your local county council's website will have a list of approved places. The ATF will take your car and give you a certificate of destruction which you send to Shannon with the registration cert.

Advertisement