Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else with a recumbent bike?

Options
  • 18-04-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I have only ever seen my own recumbent bike in Ireland, there was loads when I was in London but I've only ever seen the one in Ireland?

How come?

Anybody else got one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you a gent in your 50s(?) as I met one at East Wall a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i see Mark Pollock on a tandem recumbent on the S2S north from time to time. other than that I don't think I've seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Why would anyone ride a recumbent bike rather than a normal one unless that had a physical reason for doing it? Are there any advantages over a traditional design? Genuinely interested question!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

C3PO wrote: »
    Why would anyone ride a recumbent bike rather than a normal one unless that had a physical reason for doing it? Are there any advantages over a traditional design? Genuinely interested question!

I've seen a guy on one quite often in East cork. They're a lot harder to spot than a standard cyclist when driving.

mordeith wrote:
    I've seen a guy on one quite often in East cork. They're a lot harder to spot than a standard cyclist when driving.

I agree - I've seen them with flags on fiberglass poles to make them more visible!

• Advertisement

Recumbents include Velomobiles which are fast as fook. But they're a rare sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Personally, the appeal for me is:
    * They are fast.
    * They are a different challenge to get to grips with.
    * They look fun. Only ever rode one a few metres but it felt fun too.
    * They are another bike!

doozerie wrote: »
    Personally, the appeal for me is:
    * They are fast.
    * They are a different challenge to get to grips with.
    * They look fun. Only ever rode one a few metres but it felt fun too.
    * They are another bike!

I get that they are fast on the flat but up or downhill? They always look very slow when I see them on climbs and I'm sure they'd be hairy enough on a descent?

I've seen someone go like the clappers on a recumbent up towards Sally Gap. He passed me out on the drag just after the steep section (approaching Sally Gap from Glencree side), he must have shot up the steep bit and he disappeared from sight pretty fast on the drag and I never saw him again.

I can climb okay on a good day (there is so little of me for gravity to grab hold of), but I couldn't even keep him in sight.

doozerie wrote: »
    I've seen someone go like the clappers on a recumbent up towards Sally Gap. He passed me out on the drag just after the steep section (approaching Sally Gap from Glencree side), he must have shot up the steep bit and he disappeared from sight pretty fast on the drag and I never saw him again.

I can climb okay on a good day (there is so little of me for gravity to grab hold of), but I couldn't even keep him in sight.

Fair enough! In that case, I wonder why they are inherently fast - is it the low profile or is the rider position more efficient?

• Advertisement

Regular ones aren't really faster.

They're harder to climb with as you can't use your bodyweight for extra torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't see why they should be slower uphill than seated climbing. Are they heavy?

Weird vulnerable "dog inviting belly scratch" position doesn't appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Fair enough! In that case, I wonder why they are inherently fast - is it the low profile or is the rider position more efficient?

Both of those things you mentioned contibute to much better aerodynamics.

On an upright bike large frontal area (your torso) creates high wind resistance and that resistance increases exponentially at higher speeds (over about 25kph), so for example, the power needed to go from 45 - 50kph a multiple of that needed to go from 25-30kph.

This wind resistance increases at a much better rate with recumbents, so the faster you go, the more efficient they are over an upright bike. As another poster mentioned, velomobiles are more efficient again.

Nice speed and power calculator here where you can see what power is needed for diff bikes in diff scenarios:

Other big reason people like riding them - they're comfortable, even when you're going hard its like working out in a comfy armchair. People report being able to do 100-200km in a single session and just having tired legs - none of the pains normally associated with long sessions on an upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I see one in the Castleknock/Phoenix Park area regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I see one on the Rock road quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

There's a velomobile out blanchardstown direction a few days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If it's a bright pink velomobile, it belongs to an Audaxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Wow I didn't expect so many replies so quickly!!! I have mine in Waterford, but travel to Dublin regularly.

I can manage 200km on mine no issue, but it is electric assist. No aches no pains after. Much more aerodynamic as mentioned with none of the draw backs of discomfort. On hills I'm still faster with my electric assist, cheating yes... but I'm more in to it for the sheer enjoyment of riding a silent bike across some beautiful scenery rather than the fitness side. And I'm 29 years old lol, a cycle technician by trade and just wanted an exotic bike to showcase my talents, this was it! I have a Challenge Hurricane, which has hub gearing and a cassette on the same wheel, hydraulic rim brakes so it really is exotic.

ED E wrote: »
    They're harder to climb with as you can't use your bodyweight for extra torque.

You may not be able to throw your body weight into the pedals, but on the other hand with any of the recumbents I've seen the seat extends up behind your hips and sometimes further up your back so you have something relatively solid which you can push against as you press on the pedals.

That provides a lot of benefit pretty much all the time. Certainly on the recumbent I briefly tried many years ago it felt like I was able to apply a lot more pressure to the pedals than on a regular bike because of the position and shape of the seat.

I'm just taking a guy who owns a dozen of them at his word.

There's a model that lets you pull your arms in to leaver against the BB, apparently you can climb like a rocket with it.

https://cruzbike.com/products/v20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

When I was, for the first and only time in a spotty employment history, flush with cash, I did think I might get a Windcheetah. I couldn't see it not being vandalised, and it seemed a bit hard to park, but I lived in Lucan and had to visit family in Kilmacud area quite often, so I was wondering whether a Windcheetah with a fairing might make the journeys a bit faster (it seems to be recumbents -- and Moultons -- with aerodynamic fairings that are the really fast human-powered vehicles).

Richard Ballantine was a relentless advocate of recumbents, a passion that outlived his 1970s advocacy of dog-choking.

The last thing I need is another bike but I’m beginning to think a recumbent might make an interesting addition to the garage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used to see one around Morehampton Road from time to time. I like the idea of sitting back on not leaning on the hands and wrists. Do they suit taller gents like meself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

i see Mark Pollock on a tandem recumbent on the S2S north from time to time. other than that I don't think I've seen one.

That's not just a tandem recumbent though. His stoker seat is (since he is paralysed) set up for hand cycling, while the pilot is more along the lines of a normal recumbent. Overall a very unique bike for someone in a fairly rare position in terms of disabilities!

Recumbents open up some interesting, or mad depending on your point of view, sub-niches too. At the height of one of the nastier winters a few years back I found myself looking at 3-wheeled recumbents and thinking that I'd much sooner commute on one of those than my regular 2-wheeled commute bike fitted with its spiked tyres.

Once I started peering into that rabbit hole, I started thinking about the benefits of a recumbent with a full fairing for the wettest of days (which are actually very few and far between but I've never let facts deter me from the prospect of a new bike before and I wasn't going to start now). And then thinking about the feasibility of a much longer commute if using a recumbent. Etc.

By then I wasn't peering in any longer, I was inside the rabbit hole and barely holding onto its edges by my fingertips. I've still not fully dragged myself back out. I'm still happily married to my regular bikes, but I'm open to the possibility of an affair with a recumbent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to see one around Morehampton Road from time to time. I like the idea of sitting back on not leaning on the hands and wrists. Do they suit taller gents like meself?

There was a dapper, tweedy fella who I used to see between Clonskeagh and Ranelagh.

It always brought to mind bikesnobnyc's quip about the resemblance to someone fighting off an eagle attack with his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I used to have one, and enjoyed it. I do find, though, that a 'normal' bike lets you climb better, because of the whole getting-out-of-saddle thing. And 'bents are heavy. I sold mine on, eventually.

They are comfy, though. They go fast on the flat. You can see where you're going, without neck strain.

I do think cars can see you ok - but if in doubt - lash on a few lights.

There's an English guy out near Cleggan with a trike that looks really pleasant to ride. Saw him pulled up at Sweeneys for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

They'd suit you brilliantly, will reduce your wind resistance which is like 80 percent of the issue above 25kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    They'd suit you brilliantly, will reduce your wind resistance which is like 80 percent of the issue above 25kmh

That sounds good, though comfort and visibility would be higher priorities for me than speed. I'm talking about city commuting rather than country spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

So how does one go about buying a recumbent bike in Ireland? I'm having a really hard time finding bike shops selling these.

Advertisement