Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up

Options
  • 18-04-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I could do with an independent outlook on a work related issue that I would be very reluctant to talk about with colleagues.

As part of my work role it is necessary that I undertake a qualification with a 3rd level body. Whilst not certain, in our most recent exams I think that I underperformed and possibly failed.

A number of factors played into the below par showing. I am really fatigued as I have not had a holiday outside of public ones in about seven months. During this period and currently a parent is very ill requiring frequent hospitalizations for periods of weeks at a time. In addition my family broke up in an ugly way with threats of legal action and so forth. Between a full time job, study and caring for an ill parent I am constantly on the go with little time for anything else. My work does not know about the personal issues as I like to keep my personal life private and not have it impact on my work.

Obviously it has had an impact though as I am constantly stressed trying to juggle three commitments without respite and when it came to exams I thought that I could push through as I have done for the last while but it is like I hit the wall mentally and physically. Material I studied and know well I could not recall. I would be confident academically and know I am able - but it is like brain fog set in and I started to panic at times during exams as I have worked so hard to get this far.

The question is how do I proceed now? Due to work commitments I can’t take holidays currently. Should I inform a line manager about the above to give them advance notice that the exams did not go well and that I am struggling?

On a personal level I am very disappointed as I have tried my absolute best and know my own perspective might be skewed as I am not used to failure. I probably contributed to the problem as I put a lot of pressure on myself and I have ambitions which this could setback. So an outside view would be helpful.

Advertisement