Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden after Building Works

Options
  • 18-04-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My back garden is in a state after doubt building works to house. We also had shed taken down and it's foundations removed (the trench in pics).

I have no money to get garden done so will be working on this myself. All I want really is to have a lawn.
    However, at the moment it looks a mess and I don't know where to begin.

Should I get rid of all the soil with rubble, and tree roots in it and just get in loads of top soil?

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

Despite what you may think that soil looks excellent, use the mounds to fill in the holes, level it and compact with your feet as best you can and then buy a tonne of screened topsoil to spread on top and sow grass seed.
    No expertise needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Do I need to remove all the rocks/stones before filling the holes?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

No just bury them, you could fork the biggest stones out of the mounds and throw them in the bottom of the trenches first but it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While you don't want big stones on or just under the surface of the soil for grass, stones are not a problem, they help with drainage. I agree with the advice above. I would dig over the rest of the garden (from what we can see of it) and remove perennial weeds (thistles, docks, dandelions, scutch) as you go. If there are any places where sand or gravel have been dumped dig them over to spread the remains. Any lumps of concrete, plaster board, plastic etc clear them, then level it and put on a bit of good quality top soil and let it settle/walk it down before seeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Despite what you may think that soil looks excellent, use the mounds to fill in the holes, level it and compact with your feet as best you can and then buy a tonne of screened topsoil to spread on top and sow grass seed.
    No expertise needed.

thanks for this...we are in a similar rut.

https://youtu.be/2xzq5Jp2uxo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Thanks all for the help. I have finally cleared all rubble, wood, glass, nails, and rocks.

I will level out the soil as best I can. Any tips for leveling?

Do I need top soil or is it OK as it is?

Thanks!

Advertisement