Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I asked one of these protesters, who the biggest polluting nations of the world are and they didn't have a clue.
    Did you ask them how much carbon in the atmosphere - about 1 in 2500 of the atmosphere is carbon and most of that is natural not man-made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

_Brian wrote: »
    What is systemic change anyway.
    Do you think that governments that rely on votes will intentionally reduce the standard of living of its people, not a hope. Particularly when most don’t want that.

The term systemic change is used because the leaders don’t want to list out the unpalatable actions they hope for.

Bunch of whack jobs at best.

Systemic change going from a fossil fuel dependent civilization to carbon neutral. That’s the scope of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Systemic change going from a fossil fuel dependent civilization to carbon neutral. That’s the scope of this.
    Won't happen unless there is a significant reduction in the world's population. Would you be willing to euthanise yourself for the greater good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Seems you missed the memo, the increase in Carbon tax will add 15 euro to a fill of home heating oil, solid fuels will increase aswell .

Only to fuel for motors.

No increase until next year for home fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd urge anyone with even a passing interest to read this article from the last issue of the New Yorker bar one

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

His point is that climate change is real, its man-made, and we're all fcuked. It's too late.

He has a point. Even if we delay global warming for a few generations, even if we take drastic action now, how long until our population reaches our capacity to contain ourselves? There is no time-limit on global warming, it's not a library book that we need to return lickety-split. There is no end to it. If it doesn't reach catastrophic levels in 70 years, as currently expected based on today's outputs, it will happen in 150 years instead.

I hope Extinction Rebellion makes some inroads, but the change would have to be radical, and permanent throughout human history. That's not going to happen.

There's a cheery thought for your Monday commute (probably stuck in traffic).

Climate change has always existed, long long before humans existed.

Humans have an “impact” on climate change definitely, but it is not a wholly man made event.

Let’s at least be accurate with our statements and not be misleading to people who are easily led and so frightened. Mistruths diminish any argument no matter how well intentioned or important the topic.

There is plenty we can do without “systemic change” and asking people to be happy to be plunged back to the Stone Age just turns Joe public away from the topic altogether.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    Only to fuel for motors.

No increase until next year for home fuel.

Next year as in January first.

Won't happen unless there is a significant reduction in the world's population. Would you be willing to euthanise yourself for the greater good?

Stop talking complete and utter balderdash and take a step back and do a bit of research on the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I'd urge anyone with even a passing interest to read this article from the last issue of the New Yorker bar one

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

His point is that climate change is real, its man-made, and we're all fcuked. It's too late.

He has a point. Even if we delay global warming for a few generations, even if we take drastic action now, how long until our population reaches our capacity to contain ourselves? There is no time-limit on global warming, it's not a library book that we need to return lickety-split. There is no end to it. If it doesn't reach catastrophic levels in 70 years, as currently expected based on today's outputs, it will happen in 150 years instead.

I hope Extinction Rebellion makes some inroads, but the change would have to be radical, and permanent throughout human history. That's not going to happen.

There's a cheery thought for your Monday commute (probably stuck in traffic).

The world climate is doing what it has always done, stop with the dramatic “we’re out of time” bull****. The world will still be turning 100 years from now, maybe slightly warmer (is that really a bad thing for Ireland? Lol) but none of this apocalyptic nonsense will be a reality. All that kind of prose is is neon for the ****ing ridiculously gullible.

Stop talking complete and utter balderdash and take a step back and do a bit of research on the issue

Are you aware of the use of fossil fuels in the production of food? If you are it didn't stop you making a stupid comment.

Are you aware of the use of fossil fuels in the production of food? If you are it didn't stop you making a stupid comment.

Fossil fuels are involved intrinsically in industrial society.

That needs to change full stop. ASAP.

• Advertisement

He doesn’t care at all - he’ll happily go back to eating random lumps of matter out of the grass and traveling around on a horse (sorry horse isn’t carbon neutral) bicycle with a sack over his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Lugs Branigan would have cleared their march down Grafton Street today.

Fossil fuels are also intrinsically linked with food production, so how many millions do you wish to starve to death and will you start with yourself?

vriesmays wrote: »
    Lugs Branigan would have cleared their march down Grafton Street today.

Having read Lugs biography - great read btw- he was very into the outdoors life and loved wildlife.

I figure lugs would be on the March with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It’s about doing the least damage. Eating less meat etc. using less land for food production and giving more land back to the wild.

The world climate is doing what it has always done, stop with the dramatic “we’re out of time” bull****. The world will still be turning 100 years from now, maybe slightly warmer (is that really a bad thing for Ireland? Lol) but none of this apocalyptic nonsense will be a reality. All that kind of prose is is neon for the ****ing ridiculously gullible.
    Is there any particular reason why you're skeptical about climate science, which is basically physics but in prose, and not - say - against engineering or medical research?

I find this fascinating. The same people who dismiss science when it comes to the climate would be mortified to do so when it comes to claiming that vaccines cause autism, or epilepsy is witchcraft.

Seriously, what's your justification? Maybe you've read scientific research the rest of the world hasn't heard about?

Having read Lugs biography - great read btw- he was very into the outdoors life and loved wildlife.

I figure lugs would be on the March with them.

He was also a vegetarian and gave out his famous home made kombucha to local street urchins and taught them yoga in his spare time.

It’s about doing the least damage. Eating less meat etc. using less land for food production and giving more land back to the wild.

Veganism in other words? A nation of bicycle riding vegans traveling through the miserable rain and weather to earn money they can’t really afford anything with due to carbon taxes?? Kill me now if that’s a utopia you want, sounds like hell on earth to anyone with half a brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No need for cynicism folks

Remember. The issues are so huge now that systemic change is required. Individuals can only do so much.

The system as a whole, churning out greenhouse gas at a frightening rate, needs to be disrupted and innovations brought in.

Won’t happen overnight i grant you.

Does that make you feel better about your lack of action?? Literally hurling from the ditch while doing nothing.

Fossil fuels are also intrinsically linked with food production, so how many millions do you wish to starve to death and will you start with yourself?

Plum it’s to do with changing the food production system from top to bottom

But when u mention starvation unfortunately vast swathes of the planet are going to become deserts over the coming 50 years due to global warming.

There’s a writer called David Wallace wells and he reckons there’s going to be genocidal levels of fatalities due to global warming. It’s scary and it’s real.

There’s also going to be multiples of the current levels of migration out of the euqatiorial regions of the planet.

Hence we need to get on this ASAP and go carbon neutral and then figure out how to halt global warming.

• Advertisement

Is there any particular reason why you're skeptical about climate science, which is basically physics but in prose, and not - say - against engineering or medical research?

I find this fascinating. The same people who dismiss science when it comes to the climate would be mortified to do so when it comes to claiming that vaccines cause autism, or epilepsy is witchcraft.

Seriously, what's your justification? Maybe you've read scientific research the rest of the world hasn't heard about?

Because it may inconvenience him and he may have less stuff and money. Also it seems most of the posters on boards who don’t believe the science are farmers too, and it could affect their livelihoods. Sure rural folk still go to catholic mass, what more would you expect from people into that rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But when u mention starvation unfortunately vast swathes of the planet are going to become deserts over the coming 50 years due to global warming.

There’s a writer called David Wallace wells and he reckons there’s going to be genocidal levels of fatalities due to global warming. It’s scary and it’s real.

There’s also going to be multiples of the current levels of migration out of the euqatiorial regions of the planet.

Hence we need to get on this ASAP and go carbon neutral and then figure out how to halt global warming.

There’s a writer called Stephen King. He writes scary fiction books too.

Veganism in other words? A nation of bicycle riding vegans traveling through the miserable rain and weather to earn money they can’t really afford anything with due to carbon taxes?? Kill me now if that’s a utopia you want, sounds like hell on earth to anyone with half a brain

I cycle 20k a day in and out of work and love it, far less miserable than sitting in traffic. And yes we all need to eat less meat yes for the planet’s benefit.

Your biggest problem is the fact you think you can “control” anything that happens on this planet - much like the weather you can’t and nothing you do will make a difference, just like a country contributing 0.11% of the worlds emissions will make **** all difference to those contributing 24% and upwards.

What part of this is the hardest for XR to understand???

To anyone with half a brain, basic human survival is better than a world without McDonald's outlets.

You can scoff all you like, it isn't just the muesli-munchers who are saying this. I grew up on a beef and dairy farm, most of my family still work in those industries. I've never hugged a tree. But I have at least a basic bit of cop-on, enough to believe that climate change isn't a conspiracy theory.

If you're under 50, the science suggests that we will witness the return of starvation in some of the world's poorest regions in your lifetime. If you're under 30, you'll see unprecedented mass migration and crop failure; if we can't respond, you'll see entire populations of humans disappearing in your old age.

But try telling that to the anti migration brigade.

You see.
    Anyone who has worked with people to motivate them towards some end result will tell you that you are killing the whole thing yourself.

Asking people to emotionally buy into some action needs an achievable goal that they can get in a reasonable timeframe. Particularly if it’s going to negatively affect them and their family in the short term.

Blurting out things like we need to end the use of fossil fuels now just switches people straight off as it’s impractical and actually for the average person it’s impossible. So if the average person is switched off there will be no pressure on politicians and so essentially nothing but optics from politicians is why you get.

An example is the stupid massive tree planting farce announced by FG, it’s about tree numbers and not environment, biodiversity or sustainability.

There’s a writer called Stephen King. He writes scary fiction books too.

Oh how we laughed. So original and witty you are. Take a bow good man good man

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Do you know how many barrels of oil it takes to make an electric car and ship it? or build a wind turbine, or solar array?

The environmentalists got rid of nuclear energy (probably for the best, imagine us trying to build a nuclear plant, we'd make the most incompetent soviets look like savants), so there's no alternative, there is no change

When you factor how much carbon is created shipping aid to Africa each year, and the projected population numbers for that continent, and then you look at China and India's emissions, how much plastic they dump in their rivers, and the effects of rare earth metal mining, the fact that you have morons haranguing us to pay taxes to change the climate, and like morons we fell for it, when what we in Ireland emit in a year China probably emits in a week, it scares me how susceptible we are to this stuff, because if you bring any of it up your shouted down as a climate denier, or even more bizarrely, a Trump supporter.

Oh how we laughed. So original and witty you are. Take a bow good man good man

It makes about as much sense you do - I for one laughed at that comment.

• Advertisement

I cycle 20k a day in and out of work and love it, far less miserable than sitting in traffic. And yes we all need to eat less meat yes for the planet’s benefit.

I drove 120km, my wife drove 85km
    It’s great some people can cycle but it’s not for everybody.

Advertisement