Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well people keep going on about introducing wolves - why? there's no room for them in Ireland and probably hasn't been in centuries.
    Let them feed in the Dail for a few weeks , thats if they can compete with the Wolves already there .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If it was a US bound plane he might have got a bullet in the chest from the air Marshall.
    That would be good use of lead for the environment !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not in favor of “frightening” ppl but honestly a bit of sober reality injected into the conversation on climate change and where we as a planet are headed is well required at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Well maybe not but it’s a part of the Green Party wishlist if they get into coalition

Just another one of their many stupid ideas. What national parks do you think could be connected in Ireland so as to facilitate the reintroduction of wolves to ireland after many hundreds of years absence.

Presumably with this plan the somehow connected national parks would have to completely restricted and wired off to keep your wolves in. Do you have any idea about the logistics of implementing this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

More national parks would be a great thing, there's just no room for them in Ireland unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't eat tofu or quinoa, I'm not even really sure what quinoa is, some kind of grain I think. I'm not a vegan though. It's about doing the least amount of damage, so importing and exporting food isn't going to go away, but if we change to a more plant based diet and cut down on meat, there'll be far more land to give back to nature, around the world.
    Your beloved farmers are importing millions of tonnes of soya from south America to feed cows, and maize too. I don't care if people eat beef, I'd just rather the country wasn't one big green desert for feeding cows, and we can't even grow enough grass to feed them.
    What kind of f*cking moron wants wolves in Ireland given you can't walk 100 meters in our so called countryside without hitting a road or a house or a cow? Obviously there's no room for them so why anyone would take a suggestion like that seriously is beyond me.

Sorry I thought you were vegan with your intense hatred for beef and dairy producers. :(
    As others have said we do not have the feedlot mentality of farming so prevalent in some other countries which means huge amounts of things like maize being fed to animals.
    Yes we have often to supplement grass fed cattle and guess why it is often necessary.
    Yep it is down to weather and the changes in climate that some reckon farmers don't know anything about.

BTW it is your fellow ecowarrior that wants the wolves.
    Glad we agree on one thing, no wolves.
    Well at least only outside beechwoodspark's gaff.
    Legitimate protest in this instance. The plane actually did take off so no real disruption was caused.

So it was ok to hold up flight.

Were the engines running at time ?
    Was push back delayed, were any other flights put on hold waiting for them ?
    How much increased emissions did this stunt cause?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Just another one of their many stupid ideas. What national parks do you think could be connected in Ireland so as to facilitate the reintroduction of wolves to ireland after many hundreds of years absence.

Presumably with this plan the somehow connected national parks would have to completely restricted and wired off to keep your wolves in. Do you have any idea about the logistics of implementing this at all?

It's just another example of loony left wing Green thoughtlessness. Introduce wild wolves into rural Ireland, what could possibly go wrong? Look at the damage done to sheep by roaming pet dogs every year. Although maybe Amadan o Riordan thinks letting packs of wild wolves savage sheep is a good way to lower carbon emissions.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes we have often to supplement grass fed cattle and guess why it is often necessary.

Would it not be down to too many cattle? I mean another poster says extensive farming is the way forward but that produces less food and needs more land. So surely we'd have to drastically reduce the herd and amount of dairy and beef we produce if we were to go down that road.
    Does anyone agree that we need to reduce the amount of cattle in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheRodgers

the man on the plane this morning is a terrorist he hijacked a plane and made demands he should be treated no different and jailed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Fair play to the protestor

Time has well passed for pussy footing around these issues
    But this is legitimate protest and I can get on board with that.

Genuinely astonished anyone supports this kind of behaviour.

This is not a protest. This is one deluded moron disrupting the travel plans of hundreds of other people and for what? Did he save the world? Did he inspire others to join the 'cause'? Absolute clown.

And what did he achieve with this stunt - absolutely nothing, other than pissing a lot of people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

This is off topic. But how to creat national parks- compulsory purchase orders could be used. This country could be a premier eco tourism destination if only ppl would lift their eyes to the horizon and step back and look at the vision. We could compete for film settings also along with eco tourism. Huge tree planting to replace our native forestry. I don’t just mean spruce trees. A mix.

And as well. Comms Tech is improving monthly at this stage. You could be sitting in the middle of an Irish National Park Skyping Apple hq in Palo Alto. There’s no need to be physically there any longer.

christ you're a complete muppet of the highest order.
    From the rubbish you were saying on the other post about the wedding reception and now to this complete cack.
    You want to create national parks for tourism?
    Are you for real? How do you expect tourists to visit?
    Paddle across the ocean in a hemp dingy?
    Not even Greta went for that with her recent visit.:rolleyes:

Would it not be down to too many cattle? I mean another poster says extensive farming is the way forward but that produces less food and needs more land. So surely we'd have to drastically reduce the herd and amount of dairy and beef we produce if we were to go down that road.

I don't think we need to reduce the number of cattle in Ireland. We are currently in a situation where Phil Hogan signed Ireland up to take beef from Brazil which led to greedy men in Brazil setting lots of fires to burn down more forest so they can graze Frankenstein cattle on it to cash in on the European market. I notice that the media hasn't made much comment on the fact that we're now exporting calves to Libya for Halal slaughter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

blueshade wrote: »
    It's just another example of loony left wing Green thoughtlessness. Introduce wild wolves into rural Ireland, what could possibly go wrong? Look at the damage done to sheep by roaming pet dogs every year. Although maybe Amadan o Riordan thinks letting packs of wild wolves savage sheep is a good way to lower carbon emissions.

This is the type of rubbish one gets with the Green party. With all the issues in the country what sort of numbskulls sit down and reckon that re-introducing wolves should be one of the issues at the top of the agenda. Just full of nutjobs always looking for notice. I hope they will be obliterated again in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More national parks would be a great thing, there's just no room for them in Ireland unfortunately.

we have the biggest park in Europe in the middle of the capital city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nope it's not down to 'too many cattle' aka your favourite bugbear on boards

Again does it need to pointed out (again) Thelonoius - that we have less cattle now than we had in 1973 when we joined the EU.

The thing we have more of is humans - with an increase of over 30% in the same period.

And all you can harp on is about cows. Its funny that those who push this type of rubbish always seem to start such posts by making the disclaimer '-but I'm not vegsn ' or wtte
    Sure Thelonious we believe you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This is the type of rubbish one gets with the Green party. With all the issues in the country what sort of numbskulls sit down and reckon that re-introducing wolves should be one of the issues at the top of the agenda. Just full of nutjobs looking for notice and I hope they will be obliterated again in the next election.

The last time the greens were in government they spent 300k euro counting frogs as the country was heading to near bankruptcy.

we have the biggest park in Europe in the middle of the capital city

Its a field with a road going through it. Maybe look up what national park usually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Keyzer wrote: »
    Genuinely astonished anyone supports this kind of behaviour.

This is not a protest. This is one deluded moron disrupting the travel plans of hundreds of other people and for what? Did he save the world? Did he inspire others to join the 'cause'? Absolute clown.

And what did he achieve with this stunt - absolutely nothing, other than pissing a lot of people off.

I wonder did delaying the flight have the knock-on effect of planes having to circle around the airport waiting for their turn to use the runway? Which is delicious irony if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Its a field with a road going through it. Maybe look up what national park usually means.

You mean it doesn't have wolves? You're not wrong there. (Well except the zoo of course which does have wolves!)

That said technically it is classified as an urban park and one of the largest enclosed recreational spaces within any European capital city. It is also home to a herd of wild fallow deer. Lots of areas in the park are dedicated to nature conservation and wildlife. None of that is a reason to knock it though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I wonder did delaying the flight have the knock-on effect of planes having to circle around the airport waiting for their turn to use the runway? Which is delicious irony if it did.

I wouldn’t worry whoever it was will experience the full wrath of the law, hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    Absolute clown.

I think that’s their mentality and objective, including that mr beechwoodspark or whatever he calls himself..

They just have something missing in their lives, bless....

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I think that’s their mentality and objective, including that mr beechwoodspark or whatever he calls himself..

They just have something missing in their lives, bless....

I’m actually laughing here at how ppl seem to be obsessed with my personal eco life choices. It’s not just me that has to change folks. It’s society worldwide.

I’m actually laughing here at how ppl seem to be obsessed with my personal eco life choices. It’s not just me that has to change folks. It’s society worldwide.

If you going to spout nonsense, I surprised you feel it's unusual that you are called on it. Personally I think you're just a wind up merchant but not a particularly clever one.

If you going to spout nonsense, I surprised you feel it's unusual that you are called on it. Personally I think you're just a wind up merchant but not a particularly clever one.

I’m not a wind up merchant whatsoever. I’m “sold” on the climate science. And where this planet is heading if we don’t get the co2 down to normal levels.

I’m not mr holier than thou. Just tapping along doin the best I can in my own life.

It’s not laughable when someone sparks a security incident at an airport,

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s not laughable when someone sparks a security incident at an airport,

I’ve aleeady outlined my views on the aviation industry. It should be wound down until a zero Carbon version of aviation is found.

Looking at the coverage of the cyclists blocking the buses on the news made me really angry. How many people were using those buses to get to hospital appointments that they may have waited years for and then missed? Ah well Mr Fabian Double Barrel Name who mammy will collect in her diesel guzzling SUV and take home to Foxrock had a nice day out and got on the news. Bored well off pensioners and work dodgers is what I saw today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I’ve aleeady outlined my views on the aviation industry. It should be wound down until a zero Carbon version of aviation is found.

Do you say this kind of nonsense out loud in real life or just on internet forums?

blueshade wrote: »
    Looking at the coverage of the cyclists blocking the buses on the news made me really angry. How many people were using those buses to get to hospital appointments that they may have waited years for and then missed? Ah well Mr Fabian Double Barrel Name who mammy will collect in her diesel guzzling SUV and take home to Foxrock had a nice day out and got on the news. Bored well off pensioners and work dodgers is what I saw today.

Yet these clowns think this will get the ordinary Joe/Jane to rally to their cause. Support for the vegetables/greens dropped away very fast after the locals. Very few interested in putting them in government where they can do real damage.

• Advertisement

Do you say this kind of nonsense out loud in real life or just on internet forums?

Not engaging with u. Told u earlier in thread. But again I would recommend u do some research online on the issue. No excuses.

Advertisement