Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I have a particular loathing for militant vegans, I also dislike animal cruelty but when I have someone attempting to dictate my diet I switch off. Actually i'm aware how animals are processed in Ireland I have no interest in the behaviour of other countries behaviour either cultural or religious slaughter of animals. Animal welfare in the slaughterhouses here is very high.

I hear what you're saying. To an extent our animal welfare in slaughterhouses is better than in many countries, although we can't pride ourselves in being an animal loving country with decent animal welfare laws while we export animals to be abused for religious or cultural practices. I don't like hypocrisy and that isn't aimed at you. Militant anything is a bad idea, all it does is put people's backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You don’t have to shiver. Upgrade to an energy efficient house/office. There’s plenty of options there. And as well the auld wooly jumper is a solution low tech yes but effective

But where will we get the wool from?

Surely a hemp jumper would be more environmentally friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

blueshade wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying. To an extent our animal welfare in slaughterhouses is better than in many countries, although we can't pride ourselves in being an animal loving country with decent animal welfare laws while we export animals to be abused for religious or cultural practices. I don't like hypocrisy and that isn't aimed at you. Militant anything is a bad idea, all it does is put people's backs up.

Animal loving country? Good one! Puppy farming capital of Europe, sulky racing, greyhound scandal, hare coursing, lamping, fur farming, no pigs reared for food ever see the light of day...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good to see the greens up 4% to 8% in the latest poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Animal loving country? Good one! Puppy farming capital of Europe, sulky racing, greyhound scandal, hare coursing, lamping, fur farming, no pigs reared for food ever see the light of day...

And foxhunting. The unspeakable after the uneatable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope thats desire for them to be hunted and eaten .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The jump in support won't last long if Eammon keeps saying stupid stuff. Latest was suggesting a village of 300 should only have 30 cars between them.

The jump in support won't last long if Eammon keeps saying stupid stuff. Latest was suggesting a village of 300 should only have 30 cars between them.

The poll was taken over the wkend. After those comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Eamonn does his composting in his Cranium .

Wrong as usual, but nothing new there.

• Advertisement

Wrong as usual, but nothing new there.

I’m literally quoting what was said on RTÉ news. So if I am wrong take it up with the RTÉ 9 o’clock news.

I’m literally quoting what was said on RTÉ news. So if I am wrong take it up with the RTÉ 9 o’clock news.

Margin of error 2.8 per cent. lol.

Margin of error 2.8 per cent. lol.

So, in reality, they could be at 5%. Or 11%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Doesn’t matter, 8 % is still pathetic. Not a hope in hell will they ever be in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's still only about 6 seats if that's how a GE pans out and if they are lucky.

So, in reality, they could be at 5%. Or 11%.

I would say between 5 and 7, definitely not 11. Rurally they are toxic.

I don't understand. Why do you say between 5 and seven considering they polled 8 and you say the margin of error is 2.8%?

Wouldn’t say that at all

Wouldn’t say that at all
    The Greens are a middle class party in urban areas. Greater Dublin & Cork are pretty much the extent of their popularity. Rural and largely rural constituencies are a duopoly.

Well myself and a few friends I can think of are probably what you would call working class, and we will all vote greens. Not because I agree with all their policies I just can't stand the rest of the eejits. I hope we get enough seats in the Dail so that they can at least annoy a few people or maybe get a couple of policies in place.
    Hopefully they get a good turn out of voters from us coconut latte sipping cycling urbanites who are hell bent on destroying the rural way of living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well myself and a few friends I can think of are probably what you would call working class, and we will all vote greens. Not because I agree with all their policies I just can't stand the rest of the eejits. I hope we get enough seats in the Dail so that they can at least annoy a few people or maybe get a couple of policies in place.
    Hopefully they get a good turn out of voters from us coconut latte sipping cycling urbanites who are hell bent on destroying the rural way of living.

So your agenda is to vote someone in to annoy a few people, grow up, you haven’t the maturity to vote.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So your agenda is to vote someone in to annoy a few people, grow up, you haven’t the maturity to vote.

The annoyance is just an added bonus, I've always voted greens as they are the only party that shares even some of my views on things

You're confusing the FPVs with where people might vote a lot further down the list. All the FPVs do is signify the possible order of TDs elected. You don't need to take my word for it, take a look at where they get elected, out and out middle class areas, often lefty-liberal. They are the same voters who have a fondness for Labour, a party who haven't been working class since the 70s.

Rural people dislike the Greens because for the most part the party you support are clueless morons, Ryan's stupid comments about reintroducing Wolves and car sharing lends credence to my opinion.

Rural people dislike the Greens because for the most part the party you support are clueless morons, Ryan's stupid comments about reintroducing Wolves and car sharing lends credence to my opinion.

Wouldn’t be so sure of rural ppl disliking them. For example around ten years ago they had a good few TDs from rural constituencies.

Wouldn’t be so sure of rural ppl disliking them. For example around ten years ago they had a good few TDs from rural constituencies.
    Well the Hughes girl couldn't get elected to Europe despite this alleged green wave. Mainly a rural constituency. A good few green TDs from rural constituencies care to name them? I think you are spoofing again tbh.

They had one from Carlow Kilkenny. All the others were either Dublin or Cork. Their highest number of seats were in 2002 and 2007 at 6. Prior to that and since 2011 their total has been 0-2 seats.

Wolves is stupid yes but i think car sharing is a good idea just sayin. I thought they were disliked because they are against wrecking peatlands and hunting etc.

Wolves is stupid yes but i think car sharing is a good idea just sayin. I thought they were disliked because they are against wrecking peatlands and hunting etc.

Suggesting a village with a population of 300 should only have 30 cars is beyond stupid and if you think that is a good idea I can safely assume you're not a member of mensa.

• Advertisement

Suggesting a village with a population of 300 should only have 30 cars is beyond stupid and if you think that is a good idea I can safely assume you're not a member of mensa.

Well id like to live in a country where car ownership isnt a necessity. Bad planning has made it difficult for now but id like to think we are moving in a direction away from private car ownership. We aren't though.

Advertisement