Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

But if they bring about any policy change those few 1/100 s of a flight will pay themselves back a million fold

A policy change by flying to a ski slope?

Also what’s the policy change on flying? Carbon taxes or rationing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A policy change by flying to a ski slope?

Also what’s the policy change on flying? Carbon taxes or rationing?

I meant flying to conferences and meetings, didn't check what you were quoting. Flying for holidays is hypocritical alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I meant flying to conferences and meetings, didn't check what you were quoting

Yes but I think they should probably do a Skype or hangouts conference. Although people will complain even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Ah yes. You can only be an eco-activist if you dont leave your town.

Get your head out your arse man. People who appreciate nature do so because they go surfing/skiing/skydiving/rock climbing/hiking

What part of his quote about curtailing air travel only in emergencies covers what you have mentioned?

Pull your head out of your own arse.

Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In terms of air-travel, some 40 percent of (international) trips are business trips. In a previous job for example, I was sent on long-distance trips a few times a year that were quite frankly pointless and could have been done via Skype in a couple of hours. Some cultures (Japanese) are complete hoors for pointless business travel and think business should only be done face-to-face. An engineer on a quality control inspection I can understand, but much of that 40 percent is wasteful, and in more than the environmental sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

padd b1975 wrote: »
    "Do as I say, not as I do" merchants have always struggled with credibility.

EG. AL Gore.

Not long after Gore started crying about sea levels rising 20 feet he went and bought a seaside mansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

buried wrote: »
    Not to become extinct. Too bad because its on the cards one way or the other.

The big looney ejits. Only in it for themselves and well us...

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Reading this thread is mental

I thought not believing Climate Change existed was just something clowns like Donald Trump or Michael Healy Ray said every so often to get attention. I didn't realise scores of these muppets actually existed

Who doesn’t believe in climate change? It’s a silly phrase that the alarmists invented to make people feel good about believing them. BTW they were spouting the same nonsense 30 years ago but their predictions failed badly. https://www.apnews.com/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

How will the trustfarian crusties get to Bali, Peru, Thailand etc to get stoned if flying is banned?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Half the nuclear power stations in the US are losing money.
    Nuclear didn't replace coal.

Cheap gas and environmental regulations are what's wiping coal out.

Only one one coal plant has opened in the US since 2015. It's in Alaska. It's tiny, less than 2% the size of Moneypoint.

A decade ago coal used to provide nearly 45% of the US's electricity , now it's 25% So huge reduction in carbon emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How will the trustfarian crusties get to Bali, Peru, Thailand etc to get stoned if flying is banned?

The stuff grows here too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

:D
    The stuff grows here too

We can just about grow potatoes here tbh. Cannabis strains grown here do not ripen properly unless sourced from specially adapted grow houses staffed by poor trafficked Chinese folk ....

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-smash-international-human-trafficking-14304292

And anyone with a social or environmental conscience aint going to be recommending that kind of thing imo unless they're complete eejits ...

Nuclear didn't replace coal.

Cheap gas and environmental regulations are what's wiping coal out.

Only one one coal plant has opened in the US since 2015. It's in Alaska. It's tiny, less than 2% the size of Moneypoint.

A decade ago coal used to provide nearly 45% of the US's electricity , now it's 25% So huge reduction in carbon emissions.

They are using gas instead which produces methane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The cult of Greta Thunberg
    https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/04/22/the-cult-of-greta-thunberg/
    It struck me that this was a march against people. Most radical protest and direct action is aimed at officialdom or government or people with power. This macabre schlep through London was aimed squarely at ordinary people. Banners and placards made no disguise of the marchers’ contempt for how the masses live.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Alt right propaganda "Magazine" funded by the Koch Brothers attempts takedown piece on teenage girl who is getting attention for climate action.

Quelle surprise.

Alt right propaganda "Magazine" funded by the Koch Brothers attempts takedown piece on teenage girl who is getting attention for climate action.

Quelle surprise.

You don’t need the Koch brothers to tell you she is a puppet, there’s plenty information from reliable sources that have already confirmed that. But if you want to believe she is some climate angel carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Quelle surprise.

Hadn't read that - but I did came across a piece she talked about herself not that long ago. She is evidently a young impressionable teenager who acknowledges that her aspergers  and obsessive and compulsive disorder means that she has a tenancy to focus selectively on specific ideas to the exclusion of practically everything.

At just 11 years of age the poor kid was diagnosed with depression and amongst other things she stopped eating when she became fixated upon the whole idea of the end of the world. Ffs this was a young kid who had become so obsessed with the the doomsday hysterics of those telling her the world was about to end that she began self harming through not eating and even stopped attending school

And was she helped? Was she heck. The parents who are certainly wealthy and comfortably off and are themselves heavily invested in the whole morass of deep ecology - unwittingly enabled the child to become even more obsessed with these ideas.

Btw it's not the first time in history that young impressionable children of this age have developed similar obsessions and become terrified of the world around them. During the recent cold war up to and including the 1980s- young children and teenagers faced the terror and uncertainty of a world which could have been destroyed in a minute by superpowers at the push of a button. Their lives were lived under the shadow of the total obliteration of all life on the planet and civilisation as we knew it.

The generation before that - some young kids who were brought up on a diet of ultra religous beliefs and some believed they saw the Virgin Mary who told them that the world was to end because of 'sin' and that they had to do something to help stop it. Their lives were also deeply affected by their beliefs and the notoriety it brought them.

The point is - she is a kid. A young intelligent but highly impressionable kid who is been held up by some as some near Joan of Arc figure. I get it that she's scared by the doomsday stories she's been brought up on. I don't get it that the kid is being made into a figure head by others including at least one individual who have already tried to make her the symbol of a mass marketing campaign. I personally find the whole cult which has developed around her to be truely deeply unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are the crustie wasters still there?? They had said they weren't moving until they got what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gozunda wrote: »
    Hadn't read that - but I did came across a piece she wrote about herself not that long ago. She is evidently a young impressionable teenager who acknowledges that her aspergers  and obsessive and compulsive disorder means that she has a tenancy to focus selectively on specific ideas to the exclusion of practically everything.

At just 11 years of age the poor kid was diagnosed with depression and amongst other things she stopped eating when she became fixated upon the whole idea of the end of the world. Ffs this was a young kid who had become so obsessed with the the doomsday hysterics of those telling her the world was about to end that she began self harming through not eating and even stopped attending school

And was she helped? Was she heck. The parents who are certainly wealthy and comfortably off and are themselves heavily invested in the whole morass of deep ecology - unwittingly enabled the child to become even more obsessed with these ideas.

Btw it's not the first time in history that young impressionable children of this age have developed similar obsessions and become terrified of the world around them. During the recent cold war up to and including the 1980s- young children and teenagers faced the terror and uncertainty of a world which could have been destroyed in a minute by superpowers at the push of a button. Their lives were lived under the shadow of the total obliteration of all life on the planet and civilisation as we knew it.

The generation before that - some young kids who were brought up on a diet of ultra religous beliefs and some believed they saw the Virgin Mary who told them that the world was to end brcause of sin and that they had to do something to help stop it. Their lives were also deeply affected by their beliefs and the notoriety it brought them.

The point is - she is a kid. A young intelligent but highly impressionable kid who is been held up by some as some near Joan of Arc figure. I get it that she's scared by the doomsday stories she's been brought up on. I don't get it that the kid is being made into a figure head by others including at least one individual who have already tried to make her the symbol of a mass marketing campaign. I personally find the whole cult which has developed around her to be truely deeply unsettling.

Therein lies the problem. I like her a lot and admire what she's attempting to do but as it stands her protests can do little. She is an absolute godsend to hardened activists and movements around combating change, especially in how open she is to embracing all of them.

As for the movement, well, they are making absurd and impossible demands and patience will wear very thin, very quickly, for their flop on the road protests and playing with glue. It also attracts the usual suspects to their protests, some of whom have their very own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Attack the child. Attack the child!

Interesting thread. Alot of feelings on show.

• Advertisement

Attack the child. Attack the child!

Interesting thread. Alot of feelings on show.

Who's attacking the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Reading this thread makes me feel so sick and depressed. We truly are doomed.

Do you want to expand on that "essay"?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you want to expand on that "essay"?

The denialism, the rabid anti-enviromentalist rhetoric, the hatred towards activists, the head in the ground anti-scientific attitude flying in the face of all evidence...

Just makes me feel depressed and sorry for us as a society and species.

The denialism, the rabid anti-enviromentalist rhetoric, the hatred towards activists, the head in the ground anti-scientific attitude flying in the face of all evidence...

Activists are their own worst enemies because they have a tendency toward self-righteousness. Protests, regardless of the purpose, invariably attract all kinds of loopers and the anti-anything brigade. Slowly and steadily, with dialogue and requisite actions is how we will move forward in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

gozunda wrote: »
    Very interesting video here. I think you may be correct btw. Lovely types calling the police 'facist pigs". It appears to now be available on the sun website :eek:

Ah yeah, the completely unbiased and not right wing newspaper, the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

To be fair after hours doesn't represent Irish society as a whole. Its worth remembering that reading this thread.

To be fair after hours doesn't represent Irish society as a whole. Its worth remembering that reading this thread.

I'll keep that in mind.

Are you trying to say the majority of Irish society are eco evangelists? Doesn’t look like it to me with all the consumerism.

• Advertisement

Do you not agree the the media over exaggerate the problem? Even the alarmists themselves have admitted supplying false data to make things look worse, but let’s ignore all that and carry on believing everything they say.

Advertisement