Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When people first settled in Ireland, around 5-6000 years ago, the climate was warmer and drier.
    The climate at the time was much warmer, leading to almost year-round growth potential. Samples taken from the remains of trees found in the bog provide ample evidence of this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9ide_Fields

It was also warmer during Roman and medieval times, but don't let me interrupt your climate panic, carry on running around squawking about the sky falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If the Irish version is anything like in other countries it will involve a lot of middle class well travelled people telling everyone else to stop travelling etc.

And celebrities telling us to lesson our carbon footprint before they then head off to the airport to jump on their private jet.

The Green movement is in danger of replicating what has damaged the Left so much but more so.

Becoming an upper Middle Class movement where calling out others as sinners seems to be a bigger thrill than enacting change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

cnocbui wrote: »
    When people first settled in Ireland, around 5-6000 years ago, the climate was warmer and drier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9ide_Fields

It was also warmer during Roman and medieval times, but don't let me interrupt your climate panic, carry on running around squawking about the sky falling.

You can't use verifiable facts in here!! This is the climate alarmism thread!!

REPORTED

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

On the flight path to global meltdown
    George Monbiot

There is no technofix to the disastrous impact of air travel on the environment, argues George Monbiot in the final extract from his new book - the only answer is to ground most of the aeroplanes flying today

Anyone care to guess how many air miles that hypocrite Monbiot has under his belt?

This ones a classic:
    Extinction Rebellion chief Gail Bradbrook racked up 11,000 air miles and a carbon footprint of 2.6 tonnes, on holiday to Costa Rica, in 2016

The founder of the eco-activist group Extinction Rebellion boasted of a luxury long-haul holiday on social media just three years ago.

Gail Bradbrook racked up 11,000 air miles when she flew to Costa Rica in 2016 to stay at the £2,500 luxury New Life Iboga resort.

The 47-year-old, pictured, helped to set up the protest group last year and it has called for a drastic reduction in the number of flights taken.

But Dr Bradbrook’s Central American trip had a carbon footprint of 2.6 tonnes – a quarter of the amount that the average Briton emits in a whole year.
    https://www.newsypeople.com/hypocrisy-of-extinction-rebellion-founders-11000-mile-trip-to-costa-rica/

Who can ever forget the 5 racing yacht crew members flown to NY to sail the barge of hypocrisy back to Europe, after it delivered the Joan of Arc of extinction?

Spare us you pathetic climate panic video featuring arch hypocrites.

• Advertisement

If you think there's no problem, then just ignore us. The young people can, and will, solve this. They have to. Old thinking and old ways will either die out due to the planet becoming uninhabitable, or people (hopefully) seeing that other ways work better and managing to live in peace with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

If you think there's no problem, then just ignore us. The young people can, and will, solve this. They have to. Old thinking and old ways will either die out due to the planet becoming uninhabitable, or people (hopefully) seeing that other ways work better and managing to live in peace with the world.

Says the poster who wants re-wild rural ireland for their enjoyment.

mgn wrote: »

His highland clearance iniative.

Cattle and sheep farming has to go, everybody knows this. As ever Irish people will make the switch but not before being brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century. like with turf.

Once that's gone, that leaves huge swathes of Ireland with which we can re-wild.

Cattle and sheep farming has to go, everybody knows this. As ever Irish people will make the switch but not before being brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century. like with turf.

Once that's gone, that leaves huge swathes of Ireland with which we can re-wild.

Your final solution approach sounds like trolling but it is pale in comparison to many things that Green Councillors, Tds etc have brought up.

Nevermind the European and British Greens whose crazy is at a completely different level again.

I support a lot of green initiatives and would be for a radical rehaul but much of ithe Greens ideas are nuts, contradictory and unworkable in a democracy.

• Advertisement

Has to go, who is this everybody know this. I live in rural Ireland and i'm going nowhere.

Danzy wrote: »
    I support a lot of green initiatives and would be for a radical rehaul but much of ithe Greens ideas are nuts, contradictory and unworkable in a democracy.

Nonsense. There'll be naturally wastage i.e. as demand (with huge, high taxes on meat/meat farming) mean many farmers will pack up, the government can step in and buy the land. We can use CPOs for others. It'll take time but re-wilding is hugely popular across Europe.

Has to go, who is this everybody know this. I live in rural Ireland and i'm going nowhere.

We'll see. You're living in a dream world if you think things can continue on like this. Listen imagine you're currently living in a one-off house near Galway. After getting battered by the 5th cat 3 hurricane, you might have no choice but to move to somewhere that's prepared for that. When bitter Canadian style winters start to hit, see how long you last a big drive from even the nearest newsagent. Good luck.

Nonsense. There'll be naturally wastage i.e. as demand (with huge, high taxes on meat/meat farming) mean many farmers will pack up, the government can step in and buy the land. We can use CPOs for others. It'll take time but re-wilding is hugely popular across Europe.

I get that you are trolling but it's effective in that your views are reflective of many activists.

Danzy wrote: »
    I get that you are trolling but it's effective in that your views are reflective of many activists.

Trolling? Nothing I've said is outside of 1) state goals i.e. lessen Ireland's carbon impact as we're LEGALLY obligied to do by treaty and 2) its powers. CPOs are used all the time.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar admitted to the European Parliament in January what climate activists have long known: Ireland’s performance on climate change is abysmal. “As far as I am concerned,” he said, “we are a laggard.”

If only. When it comes to emissions Ireland is no laggard. At least a laggard moves. There isn’t a hope that Ireland’s obligatory EU reduction targets for 2020 will be met, and the prospect of reaching our 2030 targets is dismal.

A big player in this story is agriculture. As the Taoiseach said, a “huge amount” of our emissions – just over a third – comes from farming. EPA scientists predict these emissions will continue to rise.

According to Pete Smith, professor of soil science at the University of Aberdeen, you need to do the obvious – reduce the herd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/ireland-s-agriculture-emissions-are-hurtling-in-the-wrong-direction-1.3583142

No, I'm not going to ignore people who's 'solutions' are idiotic and which would seriously affect people's enjoyment of life. It always comes down to money - proposed ways of supposedly tackling the (imaginary) problem, are all hideously expensive, both on societal and personal levels. And none of them would have any impact whatsoever even if the imagined problem was real, because all the problems like plastic pollution of Oceans, increased CO2 emissions, deforestation, over-fishing, are happening in Asia or for/by Asians, which basically is just code for China.

One of the problems I have with the extinction CO2 idiocy is that they have distracted attention from what i think are the two greatest genuine threats to the ecology of the planet, namely deforestation and over fishing of the oceans.

Buying Teslas and chucking some solar panels on your roof are utterly pointless when the panels, inverters, and such all come from China - of all places! - and they, the Brazilians and Indonesians are all responsible for cutting down the few trees remaining on the planet and intent of consuming every gram of 'free' protein they can get from the oceans.

So do I, but I am going because the Greenies and `CO2 alarmists will cause the government to just keep on taxing and coercing. The battle is already lost so I'm off to warmer climes - ironically - as soon as I can manage. And I am going to fly.

We'll see. You're living in a dream world if you think things can continue on like this. Listen imagine you're currently living in a one-off house near Galway. After getting battered by the 5th cat 3 hurricane, you might have no choice but to move to somewhere that's prepared for that. When bitter Canadian style winters start to hit, see how long you last a big drive from even the nearest newsagent. Good luck.

I'm the 4th generation of my family living where i am now, i think if the survived around here i'll manage.

You and people like you don't ever get it - there isn't enough money and everything you ever propose would see economic activity decline massively, thus ensuring there was even less money. To say you lot are fekin clueless about the most basic realities of economics is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

You and people like you don't ever get it - there isn't enough money and everything you ever propose would see economic activity decline massively, thus ensuring there was even less money. To say you lot are fekin clueless about the most basic realities of economics is an understatement.

Why does economic activity have to decline?
    Can concentrate on green markets which are growing very quickly.

20Cent wrote: »
    Why does economic activity have to decline?
    Can concentrate on green markets which are growing very quickly.

Green markets - oh, you mean like eco-tourism? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,269 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Green markets - oh, you mean like eco-tourism? :rolleyes:

Unless you count sheepwrecked hills and cattle farms we don't really have much eco to present to tourists.

When are people going to cop on to these clowns in government.
    Everyday the come up with something to deflect attention away for their incompetence, what's on the front pages of newspapers today, 25c levey on a coffee cup instead of the 700 hundred people lying on trolleys,
    It's the same thing everyday,climate this climate that,shower of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

What really gets me in all this is that the vast majority of these propositions by so called eco-activists is that they are woefully unaware that the vast majority of pollution comes from the developing world and that in comparison the developed nations aren't that bad. and it's continuous too

Article from 2011:
    https://www.iloencyclopaedia.org/part-vii-86401/environmental-health-hazards/53/developing-countries-and-pollution

Article from 2014
    https://breakingenergy.com/2014/09/23/environmental-pollution-is-inevitable-in-developing-countries/

Article from 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/05/12/who-global-air-pollution-is-worsening-and-poor-countries-are-being-hit-the-hardest/

Yes the usage of stupid things like paper straws based on (afaik) a survey literally taken by kids is grossly irresponsible especially given that a number of sources have shown that they are not nearly as beneficial to the environment as we are lead to believe (some sources attached)

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/17/why-plastic-straws-are-actually-better-for-the-planet-than-paper-straws/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/paper-straws-wont-stop-climate-change/596302/

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/theres-a-huge-problem-with-mcdonalds-new-ecofriendly-paper-straws/

While I'm sceptical that human beings are the main reason behind global warming I don't completely rule out we have some affect. Given modern science hasn't been around that long, relativistically speaking compared to the length of human occupancy on the planet and the age of the planet, I don't deny that we need to do something to protect our natural resources and the plant and animal life on the planet.

I believe we have a huge responsibility to it. But even things like the governments (imo) ludicrous 2040 plan to import another 1,000,000 people to the country from the developing world over the next 20 years is going to have a hugely detrimental effect on our local resources, plantlife and animal life because we will need to chop down trees dig up ground, reroute rivers alter flood plains etc in order to accomdate them and then all the extra pollution created by the additional 1,000,000 after all this from their every day life.

Gannicus wrote: »
    What really gets me in all this is that the vast majority of these propositions by so called eco-activists is that they are woefully unaware that the vast majority of pollution comes from the developing world and that in comparison the developed nations aren't that bad. and it's continuous too

There are 54 countries in Africa with a combined population of 1.2 billion.
    Ireland's national emissions (pop 5m) are bigger than 48 of those countries.

Also

EIpLpULXYAA-wGM?format=jpg&name=medium

Also least tree coverage in Europe. Importing millions of tonnes of soy and maize from South America every year to feed cattle, resulting in destruction of Amazon rainforests.

But yes Ireland is squeaky clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Also

Also least tree coverage in Europe. Importing millions of tonnes of soy and maize from South America every year to feed cattle, resulting in destruction of Amazon rainforests.

That bar chart is interesting. Are there any obvious explanations why Ireland, Estonia and Luxembourg are such outliers from the rest of the continent? Some difference in the law? My personal experience living in the UK for a long time then moving back here, is that people actually seem more conscious of plastic waste in Ireland, so it'd be interesting to see why that doesn't play out.

quokula wrote: »
    That bar chart is interesting. Are there any obvious explanations why Ireland, Estonia and Luxembourg are such outliers from the rest of the continent? Some difference in the law? My personal experience living in the UK for a long time then moving back here, is that people actually seem more conscious of plastic waste in Ireland, so it'd be interesting to see why that doesn't play out.

I think we have quite the throwaway culture here, that is not as prevalent from my experience in other countries like Germany and France. E.g. ready meals, take away, they have them in other Euro countries but just don't seem to be as much a part of life as they are here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

quokula wrote: »
    Never discount that somebody just made all this up rather than do the work .

They may have been ‘ conserving ' their time . And maybe bothers to check .

And you know what the Irish like to brag .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Also

<-- Does this take into account that we sell A LOT of our green energy (Wind) to the UK etc and they use the carbon taxes agsint their greenhouse output.

<-- Okay so we all go vegan, we ban the sale and breeding of livestock for consumption. Then we move directly to vegan friendly farming. Watch as the tree coverage all over Ireland declines further again in order to allow for more farm land for crops. then we see animals being displaced from their homes as a result. Rivers being leached to irrigate land, soil erosion tearing up layer after layer of top soil until in becomes uncultivatable from crop harvesting. Wildlife being meshed up in treshers/harvesters. Natural nutrients being drained rom the land due to crop growth.

<--Point out to me where I said Ireland were Squeaky Clean. I didn't. I see it all the time from countless people walking past a bin yet still dropping cigarette butts, gum, or wrappers etc on the street (which irks me to no end), to the itinerants nearby fly tipping into a farm field or dumping **** on the side of the road before they move on

P.s. there is no quick and easy solution, but we all, as a planet need to sit down and work out the problem as one big entity and look at all possible side effects from any suggestion thrown forward. Not just virtue signal and lay down taxes and self congratulatory pats on the back because a plastic bag is now 25 cents or your Starbucks is 25 cent more because you used a throwaway cup.

Advertisement