Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with ivy

Options
  • 18-04-2019 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi i am having a problem with ivy in my garden, i have spent many hours trying to remove it by hand
    i have been cutting and pulling it up for the last while but it really is out of control, it is now growing in all the hedging and in a good few of the shrubs near the hedge,
    is there any weedkiller i could i could brush on that would help?
    i wont be able to spray in this area
    can anyone recommend something
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Cut it off just above the ground and wait for it to wither and die. Much easier to remove dead stems later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

strandroad wrote: »
    Cut it off just above the ground and wait for it to wither and die. Much easier to remove dead stems later.

+1 on this, though you'll probably need to repeat a couple of times a year for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

A billhook is very useful for removing ivy, chop the steam above ground. The ivy above will wither and die, use the flat side of the billhook to pry the dead ivy off.

Advertisement