Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire in Donegal

• 18-04-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking at hiring a car for someone but all I can find is Enterprise (Lk) - they have a good rate per day generally, BUT require a 250e deposit? Anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks,
    EH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cant help you myself other than point to the obvious google search.

Are you looking to hire here in the county and head off somewhere or are you arriving in the county and looking to hire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

€250 isn't too bad as a deposit these days. I was quoted a deposit of £1500 in Edinburgh a few weeks back and promptly told them where they could shove said car. After shopping around the one I went with had a £250 deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Firblog

OH has rented from them a couple of times and never any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is the deposit in any way linked to the fact you may be using a debit card rather than a credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Is the deposit in any way linked to the fact you may be using a debit card rather than a credit card?

Enterprise used to charge local renters an extra deposit for a reason I could never figure out - even on credit card. Dublin was far enough away for Carrickfinn to escape it at least. Could be that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

muffler wrote: »
    Cant help you myself other than point to the obvious google search.

Are you looking to hire here in the county and head off somewhere or are you arriving in the county and looking to hire?

Nah, I'd be heading 26km away - A to B, within Co. Donegal - I've hired cars in the past but in Scotland. Is that kind of deposit standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

smashey wrote: »
    €250 isn't too bad as a deposit these days. I was quoted a deposit of £1500 in Edinburgh a few weeks back and promptly told them where they could shove said car. After shopping around the one I went with had a £250 deposit.

Car rental is a farce these days. I remember hiring a fiat cinquento (awful car) off Waverly station for under 100 sterling (inc deposit) - although that was 20 years ago. It's the deposit cost that I don't trust - what's to say they say "oooh there's a scratch" and goodbye deposit.

I have no trust in any company these days - its money, money, money. No customer relations/support - purely profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Firblog

Car rental is a farce these days. I remember hiring a fiat cinquento (awful car) off Waverly station for under 100 sterling (inc deposit) - although that was 20 years ago. It's the deposit cost that I don't trust - what's to say they say "oooh there's a scratch" and goodbye deposit.

I have no trust in any company these days - its money, money, money. No customer relations/support - purely profit.

I don't know why they are charging you any deposit at all, they will have your credit card details, and the agreement you sign will allow them to take upto 2K from that - depending on what insurance you take out. if you take out the package with all the bells and whistles then you are fully covered, if you take out insurance with which you pay the first 100/250/500 euro of any claim, then they can take that amount from your card to cover that.

If you are fearful of them doing what you said above, I'd recommend that you examine the car fully in daylight prior to driving away, and to video the examination on your phone; if they then point out that there is a 'new' scratch when you leave it back you can review your video to see if it was actually a pre-existing one.

Advertisement