Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council elections 2019

• 18-04-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭

Only a few weeks to go so time to make the predictions or discuss the runners and riders so to speak.

One of the shocks so far is the official confirmation of Frank McBrearty running on the FG ticket. A very clever move by the party HQ but a bit of a knife in the back for the 2 candidatures already selected at local level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im not close to politics out that end of the county, but id have thought there was little crossover between FG supporters and McB supporters. And his move under FG would alienate both rather than merge them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

havent seen anything relating to local elections, no candidates nothing, saw fidelma in donegal town yesterday anvassing for the european elections but thats it . seems very low key.

very difficult to make a choice as i dont think any of them have done much that ive heard of

What runners ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

What Frank McBrearty running for FG!!! I'm sorry but why?? After the last election did he not show his true colours with a tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

water-man wrote: »
    What Frank McBrearty running for FG!!! I'm sorry but why??
    I think that Frank would be the only man who could give the reason why

After the last election did he not show his true colours with a tweet.
    What did he tweet if you dont mind me asking?

muffler wrote: »
    I think that Frank would be the only man who could give the reason why

I seem to vaguely remember a bit of a rant about how many people promised him a vote which wasn't forthcoming, and something to the effect that he was finished with politics?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I had the local FF candidates leaflet pushed through my letterbox today. I haven't heard from any other candidates so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It was on Facebook, see here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98881075&postcount=111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Haven't heard a peep from any of the candidates so far.
    Kevin Gallagher seems to have opened a campaign office Port Rd but that's as much as I've seen.
    Frank McBrearty, the man with more positions than the Karma Sutra

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Only a few weeks to go so time to make the predictions or discuss the runners and riders so to speak.

One of the shocks so far is the official confirmation of Frank McBrearty running on the FG ticket. A very clever move by the party HQ but a bit of a knife in the back for the 2 candidatures already selected at local level.

Clever move? wonder how long til hes censored, if anything it shows up the state of irish politics. candidates should take a political compass test before deciding which party to join then the electorate should take one to figure out where they stand. I know people who choose who they vote for by who looks nice on the poster...... then vote FF/FG regardless

Haven't heard a peep from any of the candidates so far.
    Looks like I jumped the gun a wee bit but there are a few confirmed in any event. Official nominations must be made during the week from 27th April to 4th May. So in less than 2 weeks time we will have the full list of candidates across the County.

Heard Ian McGarvey on the radio a few weeks back and I think he said he was going to run again :confused:

cosanostra wrote: »
    Clever move? wonder how long til hes censored, if anything it shows up the state of irish politics. candidates should take a political compass test before deciding which party to join then the electorate should take one to figure out where they stand. I know people who choose who they vote for by who looks nice on the poster...... then vote FF/FG regardless
    First of all I'll have to declare that I am not involved in politics and generally couldnt care less about it or the participants but I do take a bit of an interest when it comes to election time.

The reason I think its a clever move by FG to have McBrearty on the ticket is that its likely he will be re-elected again and there's a good chance that Harley will also be elected thus giving the party 2 seats in the Stranorlar EA which is something they never had before. FG's tactics failed repeatedly in the past when running a more or less unknown candidate alongside the sitting councillor. If they can do something similar in other EA's then there's a good chance that they will increase the overall number of seats on the Council and obviously have one eye, like any major party, on having a majority.

I take your point though on McBrearty's temperament but I think he may have mellowed slightly in recent times....then again, maybe not ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Heard Ian McGarvey on the radio a few weeks back and I think he said he was going to run again :confused:

Is that the guy from ramelton thats about 90???

retalivity wrote: »
    Is that the guy from ramelton thats about 90???
    Yup, thats him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I saw a few young fellas with a van and a ladder out half an hour ago putting up election posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

first canvassers were round on Tuesday. Sinn Fein do get the feet on the ground quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

first canvassers were round on Tuesday. Sinn Fein do get the feet on the ground quick

Canvassers for Manus Kelly were around here in Letterkenny on Tuesday also. Not just SF on the ball.

Just noticed the first batch of posters up in the twin towns area this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bells of shandon

I keep a nail on the wall of the outside toilet. I hang the leaflets from FF/FG/SF/Liebour there. They are used for wiping my ass, as the only way I can save money with those bunch of crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

I keep a nail on the wall of the outside toilet. I hang the leaflets from FF/FG/SF/Liebour there. They are used for wiping my ass, as the only way I can save money with those bunch of crooks.

Jesus, calm yourself, they aren't elected just to save you money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You wipe your arse with hard, shiny paper? Each to their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Firblog

Think I'll vote for this maguire guy, who has steamhosed his message onto footpaths around Donegal Town; seems to think 'out of the box' in relation to canvassing/promoting himself, hopefully he'd be able to bring the same ability to issues facing the county.

• Advertisement

Nominations are now closed and a full list of the candidates in their respective Electoral Areas may be viewed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Just looked at the Stranorlar/Lifford area candidates:

11 candidates
    3 Fine Gael
    2 Fianna Fail
    2 Sinn Fein
    2 independent
    No female candidates
    1 candidate not resident in Republic of Ireland

How many get elected from each area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

11 candidates
    3 Fine Gael
    2 Fianna Fail
    2 Sinn Fein
    2 independent
    No female candidates

Who or what is the non-resident?

At least we have some women in Letterkenny. Manus Kelly's insistence on having "Mandy" on his posters, and now the official papers, and likely the ballot paper, annoys me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rootlesstree

11 candidates
    3 Fine Gael
    2 Fianna Fail
    2 Sinn Fein
    2 independent
    No female candidates

Buncrana 5
    Carndonagh 4
    Donegal 6
    Glenties 6
    Letterkenny 7
    Lifford-Stranorlar 6
    Milford 3

Who or what is the non-resident?
    If its the guy Im thinking of then he was born, lived and worked in the Ballybofey area.

11 candidates
    3 Fine Gael
    2 Fianna Fail
    2 Sinn Fein
    2 independent
    No female candidates

Couple of interesting points in this area.

No women this time whereas there were 2 running in 2014. Pity, as I think there should be more female representation. Also in 2014 there were 13 candidates for the 6 seats but this time around there 2 less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

...Manus Kelly's insistence on having "Mandy" on his posters, and now the official papers, and likely the ballot paper, annoys me no end.

I asked one of his canvassers about that. She said it's a local way of shortening the name Manus, I hadn't the heart to point out they're exactly the same length.

I asked one of his canvassers about that. She said it's a local way of shortening the name Manus, I hadn't the heart to point out they're exactly the same length.

I've heard of Mandy being used to shorten the paternal name in nicknames - eg. Joe Mandy, where Joe's father was called Manus - but I've never heard it used for a forename. Where is this Manus guy from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I've heard of Mandy being used to shorten the paternal name in nicknames - eg. Joe Mandy, where Joe's father was called Manus - but I've never heard it used for a forename. Where is this Manus guy from?

Glenswilly. Local celebrity don't ya know with the rallying ;)

• Advertisement

So, does anyone want to put their predictions forward before the counting over the weekend?

For my own EA which is Stranorlar (has been renamed Lifford & Stranorlar) I think we will see the same 6 ugly mugs again ;)

Advertisement