Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Saw this up today. Surely there must be some rules about what you can do on council-owned property? It's pretty outrageous

Sorry it's sideways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Saw this up today. Surely there must be some rules about what you can do on council-owned property? It's pretty outrageous

Sorry it's sideways
    Thats a ridiculous place to put up a poster / banner. But then again this is the famous Fianna Fail we're dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

muffler wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous place to put up a poster / banner. But then again this is the famous Fianna Fail we're dealing with.

As well as a tax defaulting drink driver. Ara but shurr hes a good ff town man who will get voted in. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

According to lad at work tally men are predicting John O'Donnell will top the poll in Milford.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

According to lad at work tally men are predicting John O'Donnell will top the poll in Milford.
    All I can say is shame on anyone who voted that self serving money grabbing scammer I know most of them are but he has proven that he should be getting out of prison now rather than running for election.

• Advertisement

All I can say is shame on anyone who voted that self serving money grabbing scammer I know most of them are but he has proven that he should be getting out of prison now rather than running for election.

Quite agree. The problem is he's also an effective vote grubber. "They can say what they like about John but he's the only man if you want something done" seems to be a popular stance with his supporters which translates as planning permission and potholes fixed. The sort of low level parish pump scamming Irish politics thrives on. See also Lowry, Healy Rae dynasty etc.

Text from my former wife's brother in law at the count. "Aw sweet Jesus O'Donnell topping the poll Blaney in second either McGarvey Friel or Doherty for last seat"
    My tentative bet there is Doherty. Hard to see Blaney or O'Donnell voters going anywhere other than SF unless Friel does well in Fanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

No doubt the same people who've voted him in will be all over Facebook moaning about corrupt politicians again next week.

Ridiculous that people like that can even run when they've been so blatantly caught taking back handers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

No doubt the same people who've voted him in will be all over Facebook moaning about corrupt politicians again next week.

Ridiculous that people like that can even run when they've been so blatantly caught taking back handers.

In my opinion this is the true face of Irish politics in general.
    No one really cares what you have done if you can promise them something in return.

No one really cares what you have done if you can promise them something in return.

Maybe. The politician in the news recently for road repairs polled very badly in his home town. So, at least some people do seem to care....

Meanwhile, however, as long as those who have been proved to engage in wrongdoing get re-elected, then accountability will be sorely lacking in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah its one of the few remaining hangovers from the bad old days, there's been massive social change in the country these past 30 years but politics still seems to boil down to "he fixed the roads" / "great man for the parish" type nonsense.

Depressing to see FF poll so highly across the county as well considering how little they've changed since the crash and the stance they're taken on all recent social issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yeah its one of the few remaining hangovers from the bad old days, there's been massive social change in the country these past 30 years but politics still seems to boil down to "he fixed the roads" / "great man for the parish" type nonsense.

Depressing to see FF poll so highly across the county as well considering how little they've changed since the crash and the stance they're taken on all recent social issues

I don't think it's a case of everything's forgotten and ff will do ok next time, I think it's a case of there not being a party who are really different and you could really believe that they would make changes for the better for people and the country. Health care being just one, both of the biggest parties have tried to repair this and failed.

"All politics is local" may be a cliche but it's one for a reason. People will spend their time roundly condemning party A, B or C but still vote for their candidate so long as he is perceived to be "a good constituency man".

Michael Colm elected over the quota on the first count in Glenties. Another FF bastion of decency O'Domhnaill currently 6th, with 6 seats to be filled. Would be hilarious to seem him miss out.
    Mcbrearty seems to be safe in finn valley

retalivity wrote: »
    Looking like that now. But his first preferences dropped by 600 votes from 1595 in 2014 down to 965 this time out. Thats a big, big drop in support. Serves him right for jumping on ANOTHER bandwagon, namely Fine Gael

Michael Colm elected over the quota on the first count in Glenties. Another FF bastion of decency O'Domhnaill currently 6th, with 6 seats to be filled. Would be hilarious to seem him miss out.

It looks like either O Domhnaill or Noreen McGarvey will take a seat. Loss of support in Falcarragh/Gortahork hurt O Domhnaill badly. I personally won't be shedding any tears.

Fair play to Michéal Cholm.
    He worked hard over the past few years, and was rewarded for it.

It looks like either O Domhnaill or Noreen McGarvey will take a seat. Loss of support in Falcarragh/Gortahork hurt O Domhnaill badly. I personally won't be shedding any tears.

Fair play to Michéal Cholm.
    He worked hard over the past few years, and was rewarded for it.

O'domhnaill gone now on the 7th count. Guess his road wont be getting fixed anytime soon...

O'domhnaill gone now on the 7th count. Guess his road wont be getting fixed anytime soon...

No loss. It's just a pity the same didn't happen the other O'Donnell, too.

Heard Enda Bonner on the radio earlier and was a not a happy camper having been eliminated. Very critical of the local FF crew especially someone he has worked with for the last 40 years. Wonder who that is? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

Anyone know O'Domhnaill's actual job is or was?

• Advertisement

Tigerpants wrote: »
    Anyone know O'Domhnaill's actual job is or was?

He is/was a 'full time councillor'.
    Expect to see him weasel into udaras or something now

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

He is/was a 'full time councillor'.
    Expect to see him weasel into udaras or something now

Haha I meant what was his actual job before being elected in 2009

No idea what job he had before being elected in 2009 but just for the record I had a look at his first preference votes and he failed miserably this time around

2009 - 2011 votes - topped the poll and was first cllr elected on 7th count
    2014 - 1889 votes - topped the poll and elected on first count
    2019 - 979 votes - eliminated after 8th count

muffler wrote: »
    Only a few weeks to go so time to make the predictions or discuss the runners and riders so to speak.

One of the shocks so far is the official confirmation of Frank McBrearty running on the FG ticket. A very clever move by the party HQ but a bit of a knife in the back for the 2 candidatures already selected at local level.

Hahahaha 3 days after being elected he may be on the way out already!

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/420692/frank-mcbrearty-denies-he-is-quitting-fine-gael-and-launches-an-attack-on-party-colleague.html

I have been told that he is considering it yet the newspaper article merely quotes him as saying its a rumour and he has no idea where it came from or started.

I was surprised when I heard of him joining FG but I wouldnt be surprised though if he left again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Fine Gael should have known he wasn't a viable proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So does he stay in his seat and turn into an independent?

Or what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He becomes an independent.

Should he leave the seat for any reason, FG get to nominate the replacement assuming the council use the same replacement rules as others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

NIMAN wrote: »
    So does he stay in his seat and turn into an independent?

Or what happens?

Fine Gael should do everything in their power to prevent him from taking the seat and co-opt a party person. That sort of cynical duplicity is unacceptable and just makes politics more of a joke in peoples eyes.

Advertisement