Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland weekend solo trip ideas

Options
  • 19-04-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Bored of sitting in the house alone. All friends are married off, so just myself now.

Any ideas for interesting weekend solo trips.
    I've got my own car. Based in Belfast.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I am very biased but I love Galway. Head down to Dublin and then across on the motorway, will be less than four hour drive. People are friendly, great pubs and food. Plenty of day trips based from the city including Cliffs of Moher or Aran Islands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Get yourself a little campervan and the island is your oyster. Lots of interesting places to visit and good pubs to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

My fave place in Ireland used to be Carlingford. Beautiful and not that far from Belfast.
    Kilkenny is also fab for a week-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Going solo what would you be doing without getting lonely?
    How would you handle evening meals?

Thanks for the suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It all depends on how you look at it. Do you "need" other people to have a meal with? Some people cant even go to the toilet without someone near them which is quite sad as it makes you very dependent on other people. For meals, depending on your personality, you could order a big meal and sit down and watch the world go by or if you want a bit of privacy sit away from the crowds, enjoy your meal and soak up the quietness.

If you are more social, you could try and eat near the bar and make small talk with the barman or with the people around you, some of them might be up for a bit of chat too and you may meet interesting people. You could also meet nobody who is interested in chatting but that's the risk you take. Plus many times after sight seeing the whole day you aren't in the mood for anything but a quiet meal! Go and see the country, there are so many beautiful and interesting things in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Glendalough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Rathlin Island and see the puffins. (I''d love to see puffins!)
    I also want to travel the Antrim coast road
    Visit that famous Beech Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Inishowen peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ferry to Scotland maybe, explore there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go to a surf school or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Play with your phone. Isn't that what everyone does in a restaurant - solo or accompanied.
    Seriously though.. solo dining is a pleasure. Any concerns are only your own anxious perceptions. Sit by the window or on the terrace, bring a newpaper. Choose a quiet informal place, maybe a gastro pub or a beer-garden. Choose a swanky spot and demand constant attention. Get a take-away and sit in the park with the pigeons. Stay in a youth hostel and you'll probably find some pleasant company. Happy travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Try and find a spot where you can eat at the bar. Probably rules out a lot of places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve done a fair bit of solo traveling, all be it work trips in the main. So you adjust to the whole alone thing. The bar for food followed by a couple of drinks is grand in the evening. Have your book, kindle, tablet with you, that’s perfect for staving off boredom. Though pick a city / place where you can research daily activities such as museums, walks, shopping, sights... I’ve been solo for a couple of work trips in Barcelona, Madrid, Copenhagen, London and found a good itinerary in each city to keep me easily busy and entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

There's meetup groups around the country for going to gigs. Facebook probably good for this kind of thing. There's a site called meetup.com also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ve done a fair bit of solo traveling, all be it work trips in the main. So you adjust to the whole alone thing. The bar for food followed by a couple of drinks is grand in the evening. Have your book, kindle, tablet with you, that’s perfect for staving off boredom. Though pick a city / place where you can research daily activities such as museums, walks, shopping, sights... I’ve been solo for a couple of work trips in Barcelona, Madrid, Copenhagen, London and found a good itinerary in each city to keep me easily busy and entertained.
    This. I do a huge amount of solo travel, and it doesn't take long to get accustomed to breezing into a bar or café or restaurant on your own. And you don't feel restricted by having to accommodate someone else's preferences. And thank God for smartphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think technology now does make it MUCH easier. You can be chatting to mates, girlfriend in real time either by video or the likes of WhatsApp/Facebook. So you never have that disconnect that say might have existed 15-20 years ago. When I started traveling solo it in 2005 on these trips it was more or less relying on the phone in your room as you could expense it.

Advertisement