Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa query

Options
  • 19-04-2019 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I’m currently on a J-1 which expires in September. I have missed the H-1B window. However, I just started an Intership with a company and they want to know is there a way to extend my Visa through sponsorship behind the expiration date of the J-1. Any advice or knowledge would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Which J1 are you on? Short version is there is no way to extend it as they are temp visas.

J1 Summer - no chance.
    J1 12 month Grad - you can stay for a month (or two?) after the visa expires, but only for traveling and not employment

You could try and get your employer to jump through the hoops and offer you a J1 Trainee Visa - which is 18 months but you need a college degree + 1 year work experience already completed - will most likely require a trip home first.

Your employer should be the one trying to help with your visa situation, not the other way around! Ask them to consult an immigration attorney

Thank you for the in-depth response, I am on the latter the 12 month program. I have an undergraduate and masters degree completed as well as 12+ months of work experience. Does this work experience have to be in a specific field or is it sufficient to be combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Which J1 are you on? Short version is there is no way to extend it as they are temp visas.

J1 Summer - no chance.
    J1 12 month Grad - you can stay for a month (or two?) after the visa expires, but only for traveling and not employment

You could try and get your employer to jump through the hoops and offer you a J1 Trainee Visa - which is 18 months but you need a college degree + 1 year work experience already completed - will most likely require a trip home first.

Your employer should be the one trying to help with your visa situation, not the other way around! Ask them to consult an immigration attorney

Thank you for the in-depth response, I am on the latter the 12 month program. I have an undergraduate and masters degree completed as well as 12+ months of work experience. Does this work experience have to be in a specific field or is it sufficient to be combined?

Advertisement