Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Control

Options
  • 19-04-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

So Mrs LEIN has been told by the doctor that she can no longer take the pill.
    A bit of a shock as we are both in our early to mid-30s and probably still reasonably fertile.

She's not too keen on the coil or bar implant.

We have three months left before current pills are gone.

What do the good posters here use as birth control?
    Looking for some ideas we could run with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

LEIN wrote: »
    So Mrs LEIN has been told by the doctor that she can no longer take the pill.
    A bit of a shock as we are both in our early to mid-30s and probably still reasonably fertile.

She's not too keen on the coil or bar implant.

We have three months left before current pills are gone.

What do the good posters here use as birth control?
    Looking for some ideas we could run with.

Do you want to have more children? If not the snip is the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you want to have more children? If not the snip is the best thing ever.

We're undecided, have two but don't want to go down the permanent route just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Mhmm, as above, if you are finished your family then a vasectomy is the way to go.

Otherwise, I've had the implanon in for the past 2.5 years (due to be changed in July) and I really cannot fault it. I have previously tried numerous pills, depo provera, evra patch and nuva ring. The nuvaring would be a close second to the implanon for me but unfortunately I'm a statistic because I fell pregnant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Without getting into too many personal details, is the reason for stopping the pill because of the hormones/some other illness? That would have an impact on what alternatives are available.

I'd suggest she ask her doctor for a list of what options she _can_ use, and the two of you work through that list working out the pros and cons of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Implanon used here for 9years now. Worst thing is remembering when it needs to be changed. (Every 3 years, I put it on health app on my phone) As other posters have said I can’t really fault it. I also agree that the snip is the best option but husband doesn’t believe me.
    Best thing I ever did was stop taking the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Following with interest.We are done, and the pill didn't agree with me before.Also doubt my ability to remember to take it every day.Leaning towards implanon and/or the snip.Interesting to hear other views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What’s her reason for not wanting a coil etc? Is it the hormonal aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I've had the Marina coil and it's the best thing ever.
    It also has the lowest dose of all the hormone based contraceptives available.
    I only had mine taken out as we are TTC, but I'll definitely get another one in the future. I've had 2 over the last 11 years.

The pill was not suitable for me and I had bad side effects from the injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Friends of mine use the contraceptive patch and injection with no issues. I have only heard negatives about the Implanon. I have only used the pill so am no help personally. My cousin is currently expecting a baby having gotten pregnant on the coil so I know I won't rely on that when we decide we are finished adding to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There is the injection. Now do the research on it before going for it.. is pretty crap coming off it, takes ages for your body to adjust back to normal and if ye did decide ye wanted to have more kids can take longer... Was on it for a few years back in the good old days, and it was great because sure that was the end of the montlys but coming off it didnt feel great..

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    There is the injection. Now do the research on it before going for it.. is pretty crap coming off it, takes ages for your body to adjust back to normal and if ye did decide ye wanted to have more kids can take longer... Was on it for a few years back in the good old days, and it was great because sure that was the end of the montlys but coming off it didnt feel great..

I had opposite experience with the injection I had a period for three months straight

was that just at the beginning when you first took it?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Mirena coil is like a gift from the heavens. Best thing i ever got. Lowest dose of hormones and no period with 5 years.
    Each person has different results obviously, but I definitely recommend it.

Milly33 wrote: »
    was that just at the beginning when you first took it?

I wasn't chancing bleeding again for another three months so switched to a different type of birth control. I did try it twice a few years apart and had same reaction both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

norabattie wrote: »
    Mirena coil is like a gift from the heavens. Best thing i ever got. Lowest dose of hormones and no period with 5 years.
    Each person has different results obviously, but I definitely recommend it.

Apparently the jaydess (I may have spelled that wrong!) coil has even less hormones than the mirena. I’save had it recommended for that reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I had opposite experience with the injection I had a period for three months straight

I had the same experience as you, except for it went on for about nine months! I got the injection three times cos the doctor said it could take time to settle down, so to give it a chance, but I either had spot bleeding or a period for the best part of nine months. Also put on a pile of weight with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You could try the cycle awareness apps with protection (condoms) for risky days. Clue, fertility friend, there are a few to choose from. Some are certified as birth control.

I also can’t take hormone related BC, so before the snip, this is what we used successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

High risk of clots is the reason for coming off the pill.

I personally know two couples who have had a surprise baby using the coil.

We may go down the condom route for the first few months.

As I said, undecided on having more children so the permanent routes are off the table for now.

Sure condoms work just aswell, just not the boots own brand ones so i have heard haha.. Tisnt a easy decision for a women, so perhaps a bit of time to decide would be best option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm using the Evra patch and have been doing so for the past 13 years. Change the patch once a week for 3 weeks and then once a month have a patch free week where I have my period.
    I did have a chat with my GP about going on a coil type contraceptive and she said that if the patch is still working well for me then to stay using it rather than risking changing my method of contraception and it not agreeing with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement