Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia e-Soul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

One of the attractions is that-likely to it being more divisive in stying- a good few ex demo e-soul models are available closer to 30 k mark. Since this will be replacing an 06 30 k is about what I’m comfortable with. ID3 tour is well over 40k and e-Niro not far behind unless I get one second hand by luck.

fits wrote: »
    One of the attractions is that-likely to it being more divisive in stying- a good few ex demo e-soul models are available closer to 30 k mark. Since this will be replacing an 06 30 k is about what I’m comfortable with. ID3 tour is well over 40k and e-Niro not far behind unless I get one second hand by luck.

Just remember that there are 2 battery versions of the E-Soul, and the longer range is the one you probably want so make sure this is what you get but the E-Soul is a fine car, not bad to drive and I found the Lane keep assist to be really good, that along with the auto cruise meant driving on the motorway should be quite relaxing.

There are different specs too so make sure you're happy with what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I find the e-Soul a cracking car for what I’m paying.
    Most likely this car will stay in the family for a long tone. At the moment with 120km motorway driving and near Zero temps outside I get 330-350 km of a full battery. Summer time I would easily 450km when minding my speed... 27000km and have not done any CCS charging...
    Love the looks! It’s like a stormtrooper

peposhi wrote: »
    Most likely this car will stay in the family for a long tone. At the moment with 120km motorway driving and near Zero temps outside I get 330-350 km of a full battery. Summer time I would easily 450km when minding my speed... 27000km and have not done any CCS charging...
    Love the looks! It’s like srormtrooper

A lot different from the leaf eah ? :D

Do you still have work charging ?

Love the looks! It’s like srormtrooper

I love the look of it too. Sounds ideal. Actually going in to Kia in the morning to look at e-Niro so hopefully they have one of these there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Looking around at the moment and am really quite taken with e-soul. Can anyone who has one tell me what kind of range they are getting from a charge? E-Niro seems to be much more popular.

I can't talk to the range yet. However, I'm getting one delivered in the next couple of days (202 demo) and am happy to share my thought process as to why I landed on the soul as opposed to anything else. Hopefully, it might help you/someone else.

I'll start off by listing the cars I was interested in and why I discounted them..

1. 2014/2015 tesla model S - too much of a risk if things go wrong on an older car. Examples in my price range had high milage
    2. Tesla Model 3 - too expensive, not mad gone on the looks
    3. ID 3 - good value for money, however, have to spend considerable extra for higher specs (eg lumbar support)
    4. ID 4 - too expensive, same spec issues as ID3
    5. Kona - some very good deals on 221 models and very good efficiency however too small, especially in back seats
    6. Niro -better spec than Kona, worse spec than Soul. Better spec at spec than soul. However significantly bigger price (€5k+) for a less well-spec'ed car (than soul)

So I chose the soul, because
    1. Its a bit less efficient than the others but in reality that only translates into an extra 10 minutes over a 5 hour drive
    2. It is very very well spec'ed, with things that matter to me (maybe not to others), including
    • Electric seats
    • Lumbar support
    • Blind Spot detection
    • Very good sound system

I'm not gone on the looks, especially at the back. But I care a lot more about the inside of the car and the motor/batteries, rather than what others think of the aesthetic. In addition, I like the practical nature of the square boot, especially when back seats are down.

Anyways that's my thought process

I just drove both the Niro and the soul. I preferred the interior of the soul. It just made me smile. Definitely a strong contender if we can live with the boot. Kia offering 3.9% apr hire purchase with 40% deposit. Gonna get other half to have a look at it.

A lot different from the leaf eah ? :D

Do you still have work charging ?

Oh, Jeee... million miles apart so they are... still have the Leaf though and will keep for good by the look of it (with a 22kWh pack in boot this year or next ;) )
    No free charging anymore, but I’m perfectly fine as it costs only a few quid at home...
    EVs for the Win!

I just drove both the Niro and the soul. I preferred the interior of the soul. It just made me smile. Definitely a strong contender if we can live with the boot. Kia offering 3.9% apr hire purchase with 40% deposit. Gonna get other half to have a look at it.

If buying new that’s only €409 per month on PCP with €15k bulk payment at the end of the 3 years.
    Yeah, I agree with you that the e-soul has a soul inside compared to the, what I find, commercial look of the e-Niro

I can't talk to the range yet. However, I'm getting one delivered in the next couple of days (202 demo) and am happy to share my thought process as to why I landed on the soul as opposed to anything else. Hopefully, it might help you/someone else.

I'll start off by listing the cars I was interested in and why I discounted them..

1. 2014/2015 tesla model S - too much of a risk if things go wrong on an older car. Examples in my price range had high milage
    2. Tesla Model 3 - too expensive, not mad gone on the looks
    3. ID 3 - good value for money, however, have to spend considerable extra for higher specs (eg lumbar support)
    4. ID 4 - too expensive, same spec issues as ID3
    5. Kona - some very good deals on 221 models and very good efficiency however too small, especially in back seats
    6. Niro -better spec than Kona, worse spec than Soul. Better spec at spec than soul. However significantly bigger price (€5k+) for a less well-spec'ed car (than soul)

So I chose the soul, because
    1. Its a bit less efficient than the others but in reality that only translates into an extra 10 minutes over a 5 hour drive
    2. It is very very well spec'ed, with things that matter to me (maybe not to others), including
    • Electric seats
    • Lumbar support
    • Blind Spot detection
    • Very good sound system

I'm not gone on the looks, especially at the back. But I care a lot more about the inside of the car and the motor/batteries, rather than what others think of the aesthetic. In addition, I like the practical nature of the square boot, especially when back seats are down.

Anyways that's my thought process

Last time I checked no e-soul had electric seats, at least at the time I did the test drive.

You'll love the auto steer thing, I found it really good.

The thing with the id.3 is the infotainment is also not very good but I'd something I haven't 100% ruled out yet along with the id.4.

I want something that the missus might take over when I'm finished with it so that rules out the e-soul and she doesn't like the look of it at all. But the E-Niro just might get her to give up the Outlander diesel but I'd say she'd like the id.4 most but it is very expensive really.

Other Mad_Lad ideas were the model 3 Performance 2nd hand 55K but the dealer didn't get back to me with financing because I'm not paying 9% interest but they were offering me 16K for the i3.

If only I could get to a dealer but that's going to be a while away yet.

• Advertisement

The e-soul I was in this morning had electric seat adjustment. The e-Niro didn’t.

The e-soul I was in this morning had electric seat adjustment. The e-Niro didn’t.

Sweet, how much is it if you don't mind my asking ?

Sweet, how much is it if you don't mind my asking ?

37 k with our “trade in”

Don’t know if you managed to try the Eco VS Normal VS Sport modes... is drive the eSoul in Eco mode in 99.99999% of the time as I might end up in a ditch or someone’s garden with the power it has... Eco mode easily feels twice as powerful as the non-Eco mode of an L30 :)

Don’t know if you managed to try the Eco VS Normal VS Sport modes... is drive the eSoul in Eco mode in 99.99999% of the time as I might end up in a ditch or someone’s garden with the power it has... Eco mode easily feels twice as powerful as the non-Eco mode of an L30 :)

I was afraid to flick too many switches so didn’t mess with settings much. It was grand and powerful but does sway going round a corner. Was definitely a nice place to be though.

I was afraid to flick too many switches so didn’t mess with settings much. It was grand and powerful but does sway going round a corner. Was definitely a nice place to be though.

I think the E-Niro has better handling from what I've read. The id.3 certainly has less body roll from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

My soul K3 range:
    Winter, with heating etc going, 350-370km.
    Summer, north of 400.

Car has electric driver seat. lumbar etc. harman kardon speakers (bass is something to behold)
    HUD,10"? screen,
    kids love the light show you can put on. The LED's around the doors and the footwells at the front light in tune to the music.
    Boot has a false floor that you can lower to make it a bit bigger.
    Easily fit 5 in it.
    Never take it out of eco as the car cant handle the torque steer in sport/normal mode and you'll spend a fortune on new front tyres.
    The self driving /driving aids are brilliant but not 100% so try to still pay attention while using them.
    As others have said make sure its the long range model you're looking at. You'll know straight away from the range.
    Personally think the side parking sensors are **** but herself doesn't mind them and sure that's what mirrors are for.

Issues:
    Car doesn't heat/cool unless its plugged in.( FFS why not KIA!)
    Mine doesn't come with the ability to use the app.( early model)

ewj1978 wrote: »
    My soul K3 range:
    Winter, with heating etc going, 350-370km.
    Summer, north of 400.

Car has electric driver seat. lumbar etc. harman kardon speakers (bass is something to behold)
    HUD,10"? screen,
    kids love the light show you can put on. The LED's around the doors and the footwells at the front light in tune to the music.
    Boot has a false floor that you can lower to make it a bit bigger.
    Easily fit 5 in it.
    Never take it out of eco as the car cant handle the torque steer in sport/normal mode and you'll spend a fortune on new front tyres.
    The self driving /driving aids are brilliant but not 100% so try to still pay attention while using them.
    As others have said make sure its the long range model you're looking at. You'll know straight away from the range.
    Personally think the side parking sensors are **** but herself doesn't mind them and sure that's what mirrors are for.

Issues:
    Car doesn't heat/cool unless its plugged in.( FFS why not KIA!)
    Mine doesn't come with the ability to use the app.( early model)

Great info thanks!

Is range much affected by headlights/ driving at night time?

no, they all run off the 12v.
    Its the driving speed and the outside air temp that'll do the most damage to your range.

• Advertisement

Thanks. It’s my pick at the moment. Just need to get other half to have a look now.

So I picked us my eSoul today.
    Initial thoughts are very positive.
    I didn't know myself with all that range :-)
    Sound system is very very good. Best I've had since a few cars ago I had the highest spec laguna 3 which has an exceptional Bose system.
    Drivers seat is very good, with a lot of height range. It's electric and has lumbar (like the ioniq)
    LFA / LKA seems similar to ioniq, however the amount of time before car giving out about not holding the steering wheel has increased.
    Only thing missing, that the ioniq had is Ventilated front seats and heated back seats.
    However it does have (like ioniq) front and back parking sensors, whereas I was expecting back only.
    Much better leg room in back seats than ioniq.
    It's bigger and less visually 'questionable' in the flesh. Family are happy with it, much more than they were expecting.
    Next need to figure out how to set up uvo app and intrgrate with home assistant automation.

Finally, I bought it from Liffey Valley Kia. There were perfect throughout the whole process.
    Dealt with a lady called Lisa who was extremely fast, efficient, professional and helpful. Compared to some of the dealers I was trying to work with, she was on a different level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Sound system is very very good. Best I've had since a few cars ago I had the highest spec laguna 3 which has an exceptional Bose system.
    Drivers seat is very good, with a lot of height range. It's electric and has lumbar (like the ioniq)
    LFA / LKA seems similar to ioniq, however the amount of time before car giving out about not holding the steering wheel has increased.
    Only thing missing, that the ioniq had is Ventilated front seats and heated back seats.
    However it does have (like ioniq) front and back parking sensors, whereas I was expecting back only.
    It's bigger and less visually 'questionable' in the flesh. Family are happy with it, much more than they were expecting.
    Next need to figure out how to set up uvo app and intrgrate with home assistant automation.

Finally, I bought it from Liffey Valley Kia. There were perfect throughout the whole process.
    Dealt with a lady called Lisa who was extremely fast, efficient, professional and helpful. Compared to some of the dealers I was trying to work with, she was on a different level

Congrats on the new car. I went with the eNiro myself but like the look of the Soul. You mentioned the sound system is great....is there any brand to the speakers? In my Niro I was disappointed with the sound, compared to previous cars I've had. When I was looking at purchasing the car last year, they were advertising JBL speakers, but it turns out this was incorrect (and only available on the UK models).

Nice one, well wear, E-Soul is a pretty decent car alright, good spec and good range. I remember getting from Carlow Town To Blanchardstown, a bit of pottering around and back to Carlow and had, if I remember correctly, 40% left and at a decent pace too. I was very impressed with the LKA. I really want something like that for my next car. I would love to compare it to VW's Travel Assist.

Congratulations and well wear. When did you order and what colour did you get?

chewed wrote: »
    ...You mentioned the sound system is great....is there any brand to the speakers? .....
    harman/kardon 10 speaker system - which to be honest was one of the deciding factors

• Advertisement

Congratulations and well wear. When did you order and what colour did you get?

Its dark grey, not sure of the official colour. It's 2nd hand 202 from kia liffey valley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

harman/kardon 10 speaker system - which to be honest was one of the deciding factors

I wonder if I was to replace the speakers in my Niro, would that affect the Kia warranty?

chewed wrote: »
    I wonder if I was to replace the speakers in my Niro, would that affect the Kia warranty?

I can't imagine it would in any way whatsoever. Unless you put in nw headunit or amp or something. But not if you were jut replacing the speakers

Hi all,
    For what it's worth, I did a significant amount of driving yesterday. Thought I'd share the stats and efficiency in case of interest
    Route was
    Achill Island to Lucan, Dublin, back to Achill and then back to South Galway.
    Route was a good mix of motorway, duel carriage way, primary routes and some limited secondary.
    I paid relative respect to the speed limits, exceeding slightly on occasion, but mostly at the posted limit, where road conditions allowed.

Total Distance was 742 km
    Efficiency was 5.6 km/kwh

So range, as per yesterday's trip was 358km, which to be honest was more than I expected, given the overall speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/kia-ireland-recalls-certain-passenger-vehicles/?fbclid=IwAR1uRUlUGsNldx_PV92jJkvUYnciekDLK6TKdaLUH1z9Q_aH1TKzmq-LPS0

Kia Ireland is carrying out a voluntary recall of certain e-Soul passenger vehicles.

The affected vehicles were produced between February 2019 and November 2020.

A safety issue has been identified whereby the “Malfunction Indicator Lamp”, also known as the engine warning light may light on the dashboard, and this can influence the braking performance of the vehicle. A software update is required of some Soul EV vehicles. This software update ensures that the braking performance of the vehicle is not influenced in any circumstances upon detection of an abnormal sensor signal.

There are approximately 407 affected vehicles in the Republic of Ireland.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/kia-ireland-recalls-certain-passenger-vehicles/?fbclid=IwAR1uRUlUGsNldx_PV92jJkvUYnciekDLK6TKdaLUH1z9Q_aH1TKzmq-LPS0

Kia Ireland is carrying out a voluntary recall of certain e-Soul passenger vehicles.

The affected vehicles were produced between February 2019 and November 2020.

A safety issue has been identified whereby the “Malfunction Indicator Lamp”, also known as the engine warning light may light on the dashboard, and this can influence the braking performance of the vehicle. A software update is required of some Soul EV vehicles. This software update ensures that the braking performance of the vehicle is not influenced in any circumstances upon detection of an abnormal sensor signal.

There are approximately 407 affected vehicles in the Republic of Ireland.

Mine is one of them to get the braking performance recall done. After getting two letters from the dealer I called and asked if it’s urgent as I did not want to go there before I was due my 3(1)0k service. Got told there’s nothing to worry about, the recall is only a software upgrade that can be done at the next service and is not an urgent matter.
    I’d say I’ll be in for it in June with my current daily driving routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭handpref

Can anyone confirm the max charging rate of a 2020 K3 ESoul ?
    Considering moving to a bigger ev at the moment, after getting stuck in Cashel yesterday with IONITY not working (3 cars charging and everyone had to faff with cards, tags and online top ups), easy go unable to rectify an account issue and the ecars unit only working for me on AC43 I’m thinking of a longer range bigger car.

It’s looking like the esoul can’t be beaten for spec and battery size but can they avail of the high power chargers that are 50kw+ ?

Edit - Also what is the max AC charge rate - for example from a 22kw scp , did it get bumped up to 11kw max ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

2020 eNiro has 11kW AC charging, Soul should be the same. 200A max DC charging so 75kW at a high power place like Ionity.

max Ac on the soul is 7.2kw

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

handpref wrote: »
    Considering moving to a bigger ev at the moment, after getting stuck in Cashel yesterday with IONITY not working (3 cars charging and everyone had to faff with cards, tags and online top ups), easy go unable to rectify an account issue and the ecars unit only working for me on AC43 I’m thinking of a longer range bigger car.

It’s looking like the esoul can’t be beaten for spec and battery size but can they avail of the high power chargers that are 50kw+ ?

Edit - Also what is the max AC charge rate - for example from a 22kw scp , did it get bumped up to 11kw max ?

It's rated to 74 but the best I have got is 48 on an Ionity charger.

Bixler3 wrote: »
    It's rated to 74 but the best I have got is 48 on an Ionity charger.

The maximum I’ve ever gotten was 48kw/h too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I got to 74w on the Ionity at Cashel last summer...

556577.jpg

Bjorn did a good summary, should be below, thanks for the info.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSpEid3jiQ

My scheduled charging stopped working.
    I used to be able to plug the car in the evening, the time schedule button at the socket bay would light up, I’d walk away and it would start charging at the desired time.
    Now the time schedule button blinks for a second, goes off and the charging session starts straight away.
    Any thoughts or similar experience?

• Advertisement

I got 76 a couple of weeks ago in Athlone @ a 150 charger (Ecars).

Looking at the charging speed graph I was close to the max as I was below 40%

My scheduled charging stopped working.
    I used to be able to plug the car in the evening, the time schedule button at the socket bay would light up, I’d walk away and it would start charging at the desired time.
    Now the time schedule button blinks for a second, goes off and the charging session starts straight away.
    Any thoughts or similar experience?

Any luck with a fix peposhi ? Interested to see what the dealer attitude is with Kia, the warranty is one of the major reasons for us choosing the esoul over the id3, that and the software issues.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

So after a lot of lurking on here with the odd post now and then, I eventually dived in and picked up my Kia Soul at the weekend. Not quite new but a 10 month old demo model with 10k on the clock.
    Apart from driving it back home and a couple of trips to the shops, I haven't really used it yet though I'm looking froward to a trip up to Dublin tomorrow.
    The one issuse I'm having is the UVO app. I can't get it to connect to the car.
    Is it meant to work here in Ireland as I've seen a couple of posts questioning if it was available.

So after a lot of lurking on here with the odd post now and then, I eventually dived in and picked up my Kia Soul at the weekend. Not quite new but a 10 month old demo model with 10k on the clock.
    Apart from driving it back home and a couple of trips to the shops, I haven't really used it yet though I'm looking froward to a trip up to Dublin tomorrow.
    Is it meant to work here in Ireland as I've seen a couple of posts questioning if it was available.

I bought a 202 demo a few months ago (unseen) under the explicit condition that that
    a.) it supported UVO
    b.) the garage went out and physically checked that UVO existed on the head unit.

I got verbal confirmation that it did and paid for car and it was delivered.
    However it did not. In fairness to the dealership it was a genuine mistake and they went out of their way to resolve the situation to my total satisfaction - which they did.
    Long story short, I ended up paying extra for a 211 becuase the 202s that they had did not have the app supported hardware in the headunit.

Do you see any reference to the UVO app on your head unit? If not, you might not have it. If yes, you should be ok.

(I'll go out and take a photo in a few minutes)

Long story short, I ended up paying extra for a 211 becuase the 202s that they had did not have the app supported hardware in the headunit.

Do you see any reference to the UVO app on your head unit? If not, you might not have it. If yes, you should be ok.

Yes I can see it in the head unit.
    On the app the first option is to scan a QR code but there is no code on the car screen. The second option is to manually input the VIN. That's where mine is failing. It's saying something about an unstable connection. (It was yesterday and I can't remember the exact wording).

Yes I can see it in the head unit.
    On the app the first option is to scan a QR code but there is no code on the car screen. The second option is to manually input the VIN. That's where mine is failing. It's saying something about an unstable connection. (It was yesterday and I can't remember the exact wording).

Ah good, that sound vaugely familiar. I think I had the same problem when following some instructions but then found I compeltely different set of instructions somewhere which were counter intuitive but worked.
    I'll check my downloads folder or bookmarks and get back to you

Try the instructions here:
    https://owners.kia.com/content/dam/kia/us/owners/pdf/common/enrollment_flow_Paper.pdf

PS From memory: The mistake I was making was that I was trying to do everythign via the app, whereas in reality I needed to be interacting with the headunit at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm joining the family this week with an 2018 E Soul.

UPDATE!

Got the app working.
    Turns out the VIN on the sales contract was incorrect (which is the one I was using).
    Entered the correct VIN from the windscreen and it worked fine so happy days.

Any luck with a fix peposhi ? Interested to see what the dealer attitude is with Kia, the warranty is one of the major reasons for us choosing the esoul over the id3, that and the software issues.

Haven’t contacted the dealer yet. Will update once done.

• Advertisement

If the UVO app is not shown in the menu settings, you don’t have the hardware for it. All early Souls were mis-sold as UVO capable and with a heat pump, me one of the lot who got unintentionally/intentionally tricked by the dealer and Kia.
    I really don’t care now as the car is above an beyond anything I’d ever need ( bar hitch) and by the look of it it would stay in the family for a loooooong time - my wife wouldn’t never give it up lol

Advertisement