Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much attention would a multi seat tandem attract in ireland ?

Options
  • 19-04-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

how much attention would a tandem with 3 seats or more attract in Ireland ?
    Where would you get one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

We used to see a father and two daughters cycling one to school locally. They got a huge amount of attention every day. It never lost the novelty value to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wsa30h

oh Thanks lumen forgot that was there. really shelly2 where was it that you saw the triple?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Myself & Mrs 8valve borrowed a two person racing tandem for a few weeks last year; we used it exclusively on Waterford Greenway (to get used to it and to avoid her nervousness cycling in traffic) and we got huge attention every time.

Everyone has seen one on TV/in books/on the net but very few people have actually seen one in the flesh/metal.

it is true that most people havent seen one in the flesh i am currently cycling a viking regency tandem that i got the back handlebars welded to be higher up. i cant imagine the attention one might get with a triple or a quad tandem in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Any bike store in Dublin that have tandems for sale?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any bike store in Dublin that have tandems for sale?
    I saw one for sale in Halfords on airside a few months ago.

i asked halfords once and they couldnt get one so i got one on amazon also ebay seems to have a few just look at the seller feedback and make sure its atleast 94 percent and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Why not just order from UK? A quick search shows pricing below £800. I recently saved €350 by buying a Guvnor from the UK. Delivery for €30.

i got mine from a uk seller on amazon for 700 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

It was Ballymun Road, Glasnevin. Beside the Met Office.
    I haven't seen it recently.

i think they might have sold it was it black in colour ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I saw one for sale in Halfords on airside a few months ago.
    this is the one i saw, was in january:
    not what i was expecting to see in halfords:

470891.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Expert cycles have one outside the front door...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Genuine question - Why are you so concerned about how much attention you would get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

In South Tipp, about 20-25 years ago, a few lads put a 6 or possibly 7 man bicycle together.

It was out around Fethard Mullinahone direction.

It was a pretty agricultural piece of kit, and I can confirm not CE certified.

Put together for some charity.

Probably rusting in a ditch now

Not concerned just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I drove through Ballinamore Co.Leitrim yesterday and there were 4 forsale outside the Boat yard on the Canal.
    I only paid attention because the were 3 seater.

How much where they selling them for ?

what brand were they ? Esroh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I know a lad looking for a pilot for a tandem if you want to give it a trial....

Depends where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Tallaght...D24

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Great fun, we rented one in Cardiff Bay for the day one year at the Rugby, you can pick up some speed on the flat on one,

Do they still have them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

cargo bike frame nice shame it aint like a fully sized proper three seater frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Esroh wrote: »
    I drove through Ballinamore Co.Leitrim yesterday and there were 4 forsale outside the Boat yard on the Canal.
    I only paid attention because the were 3 seater.

Would I be right in thinking a 3 seater tandem with 3 decently fit riders would go like a hot snot? Since you've essentially got 3x the power output with the same wind resistance (albeit more rolling resistance)

Someone posted a manual for a three seater here a couple of years back. It included a stern warning to dismount if you reached a downhill steeper than 2%, iirc - the brakes have to deal with three times the momentum a normal bike carries.

• Advertisement

yeah makes sense triples are incredibly hard to get in Ireland.

Advertisement