Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Virtues (new drama from Shane Meadows)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

See mcsavage on the VHS footage??

Yeah, he broke my immersion. I swear I was expecting him to pick up a kid a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

you're not meant to believe he walked from belfast to Louth

No not really. But the scene itself was too long. It began to drag. That's when I first thought it wasn't as good as episode 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Thought the scenes between Graham and his sister were exceptional, the sense of loss and helplessness was palpable. It showed just how powerless kids are and how confusing the adult world is to them. Loved the scenes around the table with the kids, all so natural and not over dramatised.

Creepy builder character could prove interesting. He's played by Mark O'Halloran of Adam and Paul fame so could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Loved the table scene too, and the sister and her drama. Jaysus how do you pull off such natural acting like that, especially with kids? I loved this episode again, didn't even mind the long walking scene, loved the putting together him walking away (leaving) as a child and now walking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What was the sister in? It's driving me nuts, was it A Date for mad Mary? She played the very same character in whatever it was.

Found her, she was in a Ch4 series "Pure", well worth a look, she's a great actress.

Was she in anything else? Very familiar to me too but I haven't seen Pure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

She was in This is England tv series and had a few scenes with Stephen Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

that's not Meadows :)...he's the big cheese you meet him at the next stage!

Love it😊 he was so good in this is England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cozar wrote: »
    Love it😊 he was so good in this is England.

hard to believe he's a married man now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

bobbyss wrote: »
    But the scene itself was too long. It began to drag.
    I loved it - thought it looked beautiful. And kinda haunting with th'auld celtic mist. Great song performed by Lisa Hannigan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Superb opening two episodes. Dont get the criticism of the opening of episode two, its archetypal Meadows visuals and the gorgeous Lisa Hannigan backing track added to it.

Spine tingling acting from both in the bedroom scene and over all hugely effecting.

I can guess where it's going to go and it wont be a happy place, Stephen Graham just gets better with age.

Different character altogether from say Combo but just as powerful.

Brilliant Brilliant television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bedroom scene was great, but I found the sofa scene with the 2 girls the complete opposite, acting was poor dialogue was poor even the shooting felt different, quite odd

Another excellent episode. Helen Behan was fanfcukingtastic in this one. She played the Irish mammy to an absolute tee, raging anger but trying not to laugh. Mark O'Halloran was excellent also in his extended screen time. Difficult to know how its going to pan out but its gripping stuff.

Another excellent episode. Helen Behan was fanfcukingtastic in this one. She played the Irish mammy to an absolute tee, raging anger but trying not to laugh. Mark O'Halloran was excellent also in his extended screen time. Difficult to know how its going to pan out but its gripping stuff.

yeah helen stole that one she was great, Jaysus mcsavage played a creep really well :)

yeah helen stole that one she was great, Jaysus mcsavage played a creep really well :)

I was watching it and thinking I know that face, who the hell is he, it was only when I looked at the IMDB page that I saw it was him. Creepy is bloody right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure hes doing much acting .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Have been really enjoying this the last few weeks, big Meadows fan and nobody does gritty realism like him. Also worth seeing is "A Room for Romeo Brass", it's a real gem and has some familiar faces from other Meadows films, plus an absolutely unhinged early performance from Paddy Considine.

Stephen Graham has been fantastic, he has such an unsettling screen presence, can go from being nice to a raving maniac in an instant, like in the end of This is England, where he turns on Milky for no reason.

The opening scene of first episode where Joe starts to weep quietly at his exes dinner table was both pitiful and disturbing, and I was waiting for the moment in the bar scene where he would go off. Saw Rocketman last night and he was fairly comical in it, such a great actor.

I got the feeling in the first episode that he did something terrible while drunk the night before and why he had to leave Liverpool so quickly, but it hasn't gone with this so far. I thought oul Sinbad was going to get it at the ferry ticket desk too :D:D:D

I like that it's not signposting things, leaving the viewer to fill in gaps. But seeing Mcsavage was fairly jarring lol, one of the more random tv appearances of late that I can remember. Kept thinking of Mic the Bull and the "Quares" :D:D:D:D:D

Just got around to episode 3 now. Christ another utterly painful drunk scene. I know a guy (friend of a friend) who gets exactly like that when he drinks too much - to a T. And he's carrying a lot of pain also - masses of issues to work through. If Stephen Graham hasn't been through the same, by god he's perfection at depicting it. The real deal.

It was funny too, but SO uncomfortable.

He is an amazing actor, so compelling to watch. A friend mentioned that he has dyslexia and apparently he relies on his wife to help him read scripts and choose roles.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/line-dutys-stephen-grahams-dyslexia-14811310

It's starting to fall flat for me. Not enjoying it. It should focus on him and his past. Why is there a focus on his sister in law? Let's get on with HIS past. She's a good actress but I just feel she's getting in the way. We haven't seen any abuser as of yet. Lots of flashbacks.

• Advertisement

It's starting to fall flat for me. Not enjoying it. It should focus on him and his past. Why is there a focus on his sister in law? Let's get on with HIS past. She's a good actress but I just feel she's getting in the way. We haven't seen any abuser as of yet. Lots of flashbacks.

I just passed on your tip to meadows and he's ordered an urgent rewrite by Amy huberman

I just passed on your tip to meadows and he's ordered an urgent rewrite by Amy huberman

We don't need her on the job. What we need is less side tracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Have you ever heard of Show, don't tell? It's usually what actually keeps you watching/reading/focused!

Who is to say which is the main character? The show was originally called Mary and Joesph, so i guess he thinks he is able to tell two characters story?

I think this show is great. There might not be much going on but the acting, and dialogue is top notch. I wish it was longer than 4 episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Unearthly wrote: »
    I think this show is great. There might not be much going on but the acting, and dialogue is top notch. I wish it was longer than 4 episodes

I'm torn now. Watched the 1st one y'day, and felt battered and bruised afterwards. Acting is obviously fantastic, but is it just relentlessly bleak?

Kept thinking of Mic the Bull and the "Quares" :D:D:D:D:D

I love that character :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

That finale was great but my god tough going.

Shane Meadows is one of the best at these types of dramas and I look forward to the next thing he does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Fairly went out with a bang.Tough to watch.

I need a hug and a lie down after that.

Intensely powerful, stunning performances from the central cast, heartbreaking and i imagine it illustrates to an all too real tee the ripple effect of life in institutions.

Between this and Chernobyl we have been spoiled with incredible TV this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I can’t believe it’s over! I need to know what happens next! Seriously hard hitting and relatable in some way or another to many, many people.

• Advertisement

That was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Compelling viewing

I'm exhausted after that finale - incredible viewing and definitely something that will stay with you.
    Very good interview with Shane Meadows here
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/05/shane-meadows-interview-the-virtues-stephen-graham-trauma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Christ that was tough going, but absolutely brilliant!!

Everything about it was superb. The script, casting, performances - absolutely harrowing to watch but compelling viewing. Well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

jos28 wrote: »
    I'm exhausted after that finale - incredible viewing and definitely something that will stay with you.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/05/shane-meadows-interview-the-virtues-stephen-graham-trauma

Thanks for that link to article Jos. It’s a Great read. I’m too freaked to go to bed now ....

I was surprised she killed her mother and I was surprised he didn't kill yer man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well, that was unremittingly bleak. Thought the mother was a bit pantomime.

Wow, a masterclass in tension!
    jos28 wrote: »
    His work is so autobiographical. Very honest interview. Reminds me of the film Scum.

What's that though? He got his sister's boyfriend to beat up an innocent younger kid but he was all anti bullying and empathetic for people who've been beaten?! That's a weird part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Niamh Algar is a superstar in the making, I would literally watch anything if I heard she was in it. This is some of the finest and most natural acting I have ever seen, from the entire cast btw.

weemcd wrote: »
    Niamh Algar is a superstar in the making, I would literally watch anything if I heard she was in it. This is some of the finest and most natural acting I have ever seen, from the entire cast btw.

Give Pure a look, she's fantastic in it( not hard on the eye either).... With her youth club tits!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Give Pure a look, she's fantastic in it( not hard on the eye either).... With her youth club tits!!!

Oh I definitely have a crush on her now

Brilliant show. Fantastic acting all round.

Jesus Stephen Graham does sorrow to a tee doesn't he? Amazing actor. I like the ending. I was glad he didn't take that drink, I was shouting at the telly. Glad he didn't get himself into trouble and walked away.

Between The Virtues and Chernobly this week we've had some amazing telly, but I'm an emotional wreck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus, I knew this would be good with Meadows at the helm but it really was absolutely breathtaking TV.

Incredible stuff which deserves all the accolades it gets.

• Advertisement

I was shouting at the telly during that scene too, I was delighted when he walked out of the pub. I liked the ending with Stephen Graham and your man from Glenroe, I'm glad it ended that way. Not so happy about your wan and her mother. I would have rather she pushed her and she hit her head or something. I suppose I wanted the happy ending with all demons faced and Joe and Dinah setting up home together. But that was never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Superb TV. Will live in the memory a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Between The Virtues, This Is England and Dead Mans Shoes, Meadows does cataclysmic finales like nobody else in the business. Every one of them had me holding my breath and gripping onto something for dear life.
    Stephen Graham is easily one of the best actors working these days, keeps one-upping his own performances. So funny looking back on him and Jason Statham in Snatch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Between The Virtues, This Is England and Dead Mans Shoes, Meadows does cataclysmic finales like nobody else in the business. Every one of them had me holding my breath and gripping onto something for dear life.
    Stephen Graham is easily one of the best actors working these days, keeps one-upping his own performances. So funny looking back on him and Jason Statham in Snatch now.

And he was brilliant in that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Unbelievable TV, Stephen Graham is incredible but the entire cast was brilliant - acting was so natural throughout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement