Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Virtues (new drama from Shane Meadows)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Great series. Really enjoyed. I loved this is England too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Shane Meadows doesn't do nice, and he must now be one of the masters of gritty, broken Britain drama's.
    Loved this series,superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Goodigal

Totally absorbing and harrowing stories. Loved Helen Behan in it. Her character reminded me of me in the car looking for an address! But the build up to the ending was incredible. Loved the fact that it was 90 mins long - I was not aware of that when I started to watch it, but I wouldn't turn it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Between The Virtues, This Is England and Dead Mans Shoes, Meadows does cataclysmic finales like nobody else in the business. Every one of them had me holding my breath and gripping onto something for dear life.

Absolutely.

Wasn't sure whether to carry on after first episode of the Virtues, which was heart-wrenching, but soldiered on. I was rewarded though, as the tone varies as the plot progresses, which- adding to the fantastic acting- makes it compelling viewing.

ps; using the VHS footage in cinema verité style was genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Excellent throughout.
    The pissupfromhell in e1 brought the viewer in. I could feel the pain, embarrassment, sickness, guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Just watched Barry Keoghan on Tommy Tiernan, very good interview. Shane Meadows needs to give Barry a call, I'd love to see a collaboration between the 2 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Goodigal wrote: »
    Totally absorbing and harrowing stories. Loved Helen Behan in it. Her character reminded me of me in the car looking for an address! But the build up to the ending was incredible. Loved the fact that it was 90 mins long - I was not aware of that when I started to watch it, but I wouldn't turn it off!

Yeah I thought she was brilliant. Standout for me. Stephen Graham is always great, obviously , but Helen Behan was absolutely superb. Totally believeable and natural. It was like watching someone on a hidden camera show rather than someone acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

That finale was one strong cup of coffee! :eek:

Niamh Algar stole the show for me, unbelievable acting work. In episode 1 I thought she would be the more annoying/unsympathetic character of the show but ended up being the complete opposite. Just wanted to give her a hug!

Some very provocative ideas about the cyclic nature of abuse in there too, and how so many abusers have been abused themselves and is a learned behavior. I like that it also gave the counter argument to this, very thought provoking. Meadows genius is that on the surface it appears to be simple, slow burning storytelling but there's a lot going on under the surface. The flipping of audience expectations at the end with Dinah and Joe was very clever too.

Even for a feature length episode, it seemed to end abruptly. Got the feeling he's maybe leaving the door open for another series or even a special sometime in the future. In any event, a remarkable piece of grim tv :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What was the sister in? It's driving me nuts, was it A Date for mad Mary? She played the very same character in whatever it was.

Found her, she was in a Ch4 series "Pure", well worth a look, she's a great actress.

She was also in The Drummer and The Keeper, Irish movie

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

really great last 90 minute episode with superb acting all round,i just wish they filmed it in ireland instead of Yorkshire,passing off yorkshire as Ireland just spoiled it a wee bit for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

dom40 wrote:
    really great last 90 minute episode with superb acting all round,i just wish they filmed it in ireland instead of Yorkshire,passing off yorkshire as Ireland just spoiled it a wee bit for me.

He got Irish reg cars any way did you notice? One CE I think anyway. But I suppose nobody outside of UK would think it wasn't Ireland. Maybe inside UK too. Most probably cheaper to film in UK.

dom40 wrote: »
    The pub was obviously an English pub, but didn't pay it no never mind.

bobbyss wrote: »
    He got Irish reg cars any way did you notice? One CE I think anyway. But I suppose nobody outside of UK would think it wasn't Ireland. Maybe inside UK too. Most probably cheaper to film in UK.

yes i noticed the car regs were all irish they even had the insurance/tax/nct discs on some of the windscreens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Pumping the pints was a bit of a turn off, only us paddies would notice it.

CoBo55 wrote: »

noticed that in the first episode the pup was as english as feck they tried to make it look irish with the tricolours hanging everywere .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

noticed that in the first episode the pup was as english as feck they tried to make it look irish with the tricolours hanging everywere .
    To be fair.. he was still in Liverpool in the first episode in an "Irish bar".. not too uncommon over there I'd say.

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair.. he was still in Liverpool in the first episode in an "Irish bar".. not too uncommon over there I'd say.

true i forgot that,but the pub he went into in the last episode was supposed to be in ireland but it was as english as the queens head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I noticed a comment in The Guardian that the final scene was reshot after the wrap party.

I have no idea what happened but apparently it was felt by the cast that the finale was too redemptive??

If anyone has any more details it would be very welcome.

I started getting pissy in ep4 when the town he went to was so obviously not in Ireland!

The acting and casting was superb. I don't know that I could pick out another show that was cast so well. The children were utterly awesome, they didn't even look like they were acting, which really sold me. Helen Behan was brilliant but for me Niamh Algar stole it.

The whole downward spiral in eposide 1 was incredibly true to life and really have to say I have rarely seen better television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

yes i noticed the car regs were all irish they even had the insurance/tax/nct discs on some of the windscreens.

I noticed every car reg was from a different county and although in louth I dont think I spotted an LH reg :):)

The flipping of audience expectations at the end with Dinah and Joe was very clever too.

Storytelling par excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Superb drama 10/10

Best thing I've seen on TV since... This is England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I too noticed the pumping of the pint and it irked slightly. But when those sort of details are the only concern, it is a sign of a brilliant piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

CoBo55 wrote:

What do you mean by pumping the pints being a turn off? That paddies would notice it? I don't get it. Did I miss something?

bobbyss wrote: »
    What do you mean by pumping the pints being a turn off? That paddies would notice it? I don't get it. Did I miss something?

In the Irish pub he got two pints of Guinness, the barman used the English style pump that we don't have in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I'm no expert; not a social worker or whatever, but- I think
    Dinah's gonna have real trouble trying to get access to her kid now.
    If you don't laugh, you'll cry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Loved it. SG is a fantastic actor. He was brilliant in Little Boy Blue also which hasn't been mentioned. I guess the show was geared towards an English audience so the pub stuff wouldn't be as obvious to them. If the only thing people can complain about is pint pumping and ferry timetables, I think it's a job well done :D

LFCFan wrote: »
    Loved it. SG is a fantastic actor. He was brilliant in Little Boy Blue also which hasn't been mentioned. I guess the show was geared towards an English audience so the pub stuff wouldn't be as obvious to them. If the only thing people can complain about is pint pumping and ferry timetables, I think it's a job well done :D

He was brilliant in little boy blue, that was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This was brilliant.

The part that stands out for me were the scenes at the beginning with his son before he emigrated.

They were so emotional and well acted, even more poignant when we learned about his own background later on.

It would have been easy to cut those scenes short, given that most of the plot took place with his Irish relatives after he left on the ferry.

Skid X wrote: »
    This was brilliant.

The part that stands out for me were the scenes at the beginning with his son before he emigrated.

They were so emotional and well acted, even more poignant when we learned about his own background later on.

It would have been easy to cut those scenes short, given that most of the plot took place with his Irish relatives after he left on the ferry.

"Show, don't tell"- the mantra of script-writing. The emotional impact works through realization; so well done in The Virtues. It doesn't have to be an M Night Shyamalan style revelation to pack a punch when done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just watched it again... That meadows lad is something else. When Dinah said "I wish I f*n was" on drugs she reminded me of paddy considine,! Also PJ Harvey did an an amazing job with the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Deep breaths needed after that final episode. The scene with Joe breaking down had me gasping for air. Meadow's work has been described as gritty so often it has become a disparaging cliche. His fearless approach to the uncomfortable realities of life should be applauded.

I have no issues with how he closed out the series, especially Joe's ending. The almost child like questioning of his abuser was perfect, as was the decision to let him live with the consequences of his actions.

All said this was as near to perfect TV drama as you could ask for.

Special mention to the casting staff who were note perfect in their choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I started getting pissy in ep4 when the town he went to was so obviously not in Ireland!
    Down
    Padded it
    The acting and casting was superb. I don't know that I could pick out another show that was cast so well. The children were utterly awesome, they didn't even look like they were acting, which really sold me. Helen Behan was brilliant but for me Niamh Algar stole it.

The whole downward spiral in eposide 1 was incredibly true to life and really have to say I have rarely seen better television.

Downloaded it and haven't seen the last episode yet, so I'm stepping carefully here to avoid massive spoilers but I had to agree about the kids -the littlest lad in particular was just fantastic, his grimaces when they were at the table meeting Joe for the first time were just hilarious. I laughed out loud at him. He didn't seem to be acting at all. I wonder if that's down to a director who really knows how to get the best out of kids, or if the boy is just a fantastic actor?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Absolutely harrowing stuff. Meadows is merciless in his writing style,really really cuts to the bone,leaving the viewer on edge throughout.

I was genuinely upset by episode 1,the pub scene really hit me,I could relate a lot to Joe.

The acting was sublime,with an extra special mention for Stephen Graham,the guy is gifted as an actor.

Emotional rollercoaster from start to finish.
    I'm glad I watched it but strangely,I'm glad it's over.

Excellent show. 10/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Masterclass in relatable, realistic drama. Honestly a straight 10/10. Powerful performances and the whole affair is so relatably realistic, like a window into the lives of real people.

Could not recommend this enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I thought it was fantastic.

I find myself a but reluctant to watch things like the Magdalene Laundry, I find them too hard to watch TBH, so I was a bit unsure about that, My O/H wanted to watch it otherwise I might have missed it altogether.

But I was so glad I did - it was such a well balanced mix of realism including humour, with well-rounded characters who had their strengths and weaknesses, that it really took you along with it, right to the end.
    And God, poor Craigy. Still, I was kind of relieved he wasn't one of the abusers, as I had feared at one point. And poor Dina!
    Such fantastic actors, all of them really. Or just so well written and directed!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

volchitsa wrote: »

I find myself a but reluctant to watch things like the Magdalene Laundry, I find them too hard to watch TBH, so I was a bit unsure about that,/QUOTE]

Same. But after reading posts about it here recently, I had to give it a go.
    It's not just about packing emotional punches. It"s so well crafted.

volchitsa wrote: »

I find myself a but reluctant to watch things like the Magdalene Laundry, I find them too hard to watch TBH, so I was a bit unsure about that

Same. But after reading posts about it here recently, I had to give it a go.
    It's not just about packing emotional punches. It"s so well crafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Imo Stephen Graham is thee finest actor of his generation.

He really comes into his own in roles like this,playing the ordinary Joe ( No pun intended).

Humanity and emotion portrayed on screen par excellence. He's scary,vulnerable, volatile and weak all at the same time.

Nobody can pack emotion into a dialogue-less scene like he can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but if you like Paddy Considine he was in a film a couple of years ago called Journeyman with Jodie Whittaker (Dr who,broadchurch)which is worth a look.

Really loved Journeyman.

I think it's strengths lie in the acting and in the pared back simplicity.

Paddy Considine has proved himself to be a great actor and director.

Jodie Whittaker shone in this one too.

Dead man's shoes and Tyrannosaur were both great films.

Hoping for a new resurgence of British realism. One of my favourite movie genres.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Really loved Journeyman.

Dead man's shoes and Tyrannosaur were both great films.

Dead Man's Shoes' ending was so gut-wrenching. Tyrannosaur; all the actors were fantastic.
    Definitely will check out Journeyman.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bit late but just finished this over the Christmas holidays. Shane Meadows does it again - it really shows how a well written character drama can make the time fly by much more than some OTT action drama.

Stephen Graham does not get the recognition he deserves - 'The Virtues' seems to have got no nominations for any awards yet! The wounded, vulnerable character he played was amazing and I really appreciate his acting range given I had also watched 'The Irishman' on the same day when he plays a loud mouth gangster.

Credit to the whole cast too though - how does Meadows get this sort of acting and why aren't more people doing this? As volchitsa posted above, he even got great performances from the kids especially the young lad which can be very difficult.

Looking forward to his next outing, which I'm sure will be a cheery uplifting barrel of laughs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stephen Graham was on Graham Norton on the NYE Show and Graham mentioned how it 2019 was Stephen's year with Line Of Duty and The Irishman.. but couldn't believe he didn't mention this - which was up there with the best TV of the year IMO.

I guess there's no way of watching this without cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Courtn2

The All4 app should sort you out.

Courtn2 wrote: »
    The All4 app should sort you out.

Excellent, thank you.
    Had thought it was BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Basq wrote: »
    Stephen Graham was on Graham Norton on the NYE Show and Graham mentioned how it 2019 was Stephen's year with Line Of Duty and The Irishman.. but couldn't believe he didn't mention this - which was up there with the best TV of the year IMO.

I noted that as well, possibly that line of duty is a BBC production and the irishman is a popular movie. Otherwise maybe Graham didn't want to have any discussion around the virtues as isn't exactly material well suited to light hearted chat show.

Well, that was bloody amazing.
    Excellent acting all the way through.

Was not expecting that end scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

finished this show last night.

Great story, acting and music.

Really uncomfortable at times. Casting was perfect. Absolutely horrible what some young kids have gone through in this country in institutions and still are no doubt.

Glad it was only 4 episodes as I wouldn't want to be in that world for much longer.

theme song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

VM3 tonight at 10pm I think it starting

Advertisement