Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a second mortgage, rent out first home

Options
  • 19-04-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Wondering how feasible this would be or am I dreaming.

Originally from Cork, bought a house in Dublin two years ago.

Eventually would love to move back home to Cork and buy a house there.

Ideally we would like to keep the Dublin house. Rent it out.

How feasible is it to get a second mortgage in this scenario? Assuming finances deposit etc. Are in order??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

It is possible if you have the deposit for the new property and you can afford the repayments. Bear in mind the interest rate on a rental property is higher than on a principal residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mossy464 wrote: »
    Hi there,

How feasible is it to get a second mortgage in this scenario? Assuming finances deposit etc. Are in order??
    Very feasible, in fact I know people who have been advised by banks to keep properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Tax as a landlord is 40 to 50%

Being a landlord is a terrible job. But if done right could be a nice pension with an inflation proof assett

Everyone is anti hap welfare tenants although if I was investing in property I wouldn't as it can be a diaster I would take a hap tenant at least rent is gaurenteed and paid by the state think hap can be 1800

A private tennent can not pay rent for 18 months leaving you in financial ruin

If you had a brother sister to rent it to that could be an option.

End of the day what age are you , is this the only way to get a half million pension pot, by selling the Dublin home in 20 years

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Totally doable. I’ve done it.

The bank will just look at the spread sheet of money in v money out and your ability to repay them.

Just don’t think that the house down in road is rented for 1500 so you could get that and pay your mortgage and make a little income on top. About 400-800 will go in tax and maintaining the property. Maybe more if you have property management fees.

If your Dublin mortgage is over 1k it could cost you money to rent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure you understand how tax is calculated - that only the interest part of your mortgage payment is an allowable expense when calculating your profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tax is a killer in this kind of scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

utmbuilder wrote: »

Being a landlord is a terrible job. But if done right could be a nice pension with an inflation proof assett

Everyone is anti hap welfare tenants although if I was investing in property I wouldn't as it can be a diaster I would take a hap tenant at least rent is gaurenteed and paid by the state think hap can be 1800

A private tennent can not pay rent for 18 months leaving you in financial ruin

End of the day what age are you , is this the only way to get a half million pension pot, by selling the Dublin home in 20 years

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

HAP rent is not guaranteed, if the tenant ceases making their contribution to the council, the council will cease paying the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Doesn't renting to a relative have the same tax implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Brego888 wrote: »
    Doesn't renting to a relative have the same tax implications?

Yeah but less chance of not getting rent for 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again.

• Advertisement

Let’s also assume you are about 30 with a 30 year mortgage in Dublin for a house that cost 300k. That means you have to rent it at a loss for 30 years and will pay the bank 450k. All to be 60 and have a house you don’t want in a city you don’t live in.

I’d flog the Dublin house, buy something a bit bigger, nicer and cheaper in cork and use the extra to pay down some of the mortgage or just live a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Thanks for all the comments.

Would rent a room scheme work in this situation.

If I was still working in Dublin myself and living in the house 4/5 nights a week and going to cork at the weekends would rent a room scheme be eligible?

Could rent two bedrooms while having one for myself

Thanks for all the comments.

Would rent a room scheme work in this situation.

If I was still working in Dublin myself and living in the house 4/5 nights a week and going to cork at the weekends would rent a room scheme be eligible?

Could rent two bedrooms while having one for myself

Much better scenario.

If you have to travel to Dublin then it will be much cheaper to stay in your own house than try find an alternative. Plus you can earn 14k tax free, can keep an eye on the place and kick out bad tenants at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Hi there,

We did this a few years back and still have the original house rented out . Ignore most of the comments here about 50% tax , unless you have no mortgage on the Dublin house then your tax bill will be low

The way you look at it is simple . If the amount left on the mortgage drops more each year than the amount of money you put into it ( excluding capital appreciation ) then you keep the house in my opinion , For example if the amount you owe the bank drops 7k a year roughly and you have to put 3k into the house (incl taxes) then you keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

How many nights a week do you technically need to stay in your property to properly qualify for rent a room scheme as your primary residence?

We did this a few years back and still have the original house rented out . Ignore most of the comments here about 50% tax , unless you have no mortgage on the Dublin house then your tax bill will be low

The way you look at it is simple . If the amount left on the mortgage drops more each year than the amount of money you put into it ( excluding capital appreciation ) then you keep the house in my opinion , For example if the amount you owe the bank drops 7k a year roughly and you have to put 3k into the house (incl taxes) then you keep it
    You know that only the interest part of the mortgage is an allowable expense for tax? And the interest part reduces steadily over the years, right?

You know that only the interest part of the mortgage is an allowable expense for tax? And the interest part reduces steadily over the years, right?

Yes of course . The amount of interest you can write off against tax is now at 80% and if you rent to HAP then it’s 100% and also even when the interest reduces then the monthly payments will be reducing the principal by more also

I do the maths each year and until now it makes sense . If that changes then I will sell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Let’s also assume you are about 30 with a 30 year mortgage in Dublin for a house that cost 300k. That means you have to rent it at a loss for 30 years and will pay the bank 450k. All to be 60 and have a house you don’t want in a city you don’t live in.

I’d flog the Dublin house, buy something a bit bigger, nicer and cheaper in cork and use the extra to pay down some of the mortgage or just live a little bit.

Put the extra money into a pension plan. Especially if your employer is paying contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yeah but less chance of not getting rent for 18 months

I'd always always avoid renting to friends or family.
    The potential for a falling is far too high.
    Landlord/tenant relationships already have too many potential risks without risking a familial relationship too.

As for the less chance of a relative being delinquent, I'd argue the opposite.
    Along with less chance of an actual tenancy agreement because, ah sure we are family ;)
    Try evicting family for non payment and dealing with the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Yes of course . The amount of interest you can write off against tax is now at 80% and if you rent to HAP then it’s 100% and also even when the interest reduces then the monthly payments will be reducing the principal by more also

I do the maths each year and until now it makes sense . If that changes then I will sell

Ball park figures, if I can get rent of 2k per month, with 160k left on the mortgage, how much will the tax man get?

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you do the calculations yourself. The monthly payments don't generally reduce. The mortgage will be calculated to be cleared with steady payments over the 25 or 30 year period. At the start, it is almost all interest with a little bit of principal. At the end, it is almost all principal with a little bit of interest - but the monthly payment generally remains steady.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Glad to hear you do the calculations yourself. The monthly payments don't generally reduce. The mortgage will be calculated to be cleared with steady payments over the 25 or 30 year period. At the start, it is almost all interest with a little bit of principal. At the end, it is almost all principal with a little bit of interest - but the monthly payment generally remains steady.

He didn't say the payments reduce, he said the interest reduces which means you're paying off more capital which is true.

He didn't say the payments reduce, he said the interest reduces which means you're paying off more capital which is true.

Yep - exactly what I meant. So while your tax bill may increase , your principal is reducing more

bidiots wrote: »
    Ball park figures, if I can get rent of 2k per month, with 160k left on the mortgage, how much will the tax man get?

All dependent on how much interest you are paying . Look at the account for last years interest , add it up and calculate 80% off it

Then minus that from 24k and that amount would be your taxable income( not taking into account all the other things you can do to reduce the tax bill like insurance , Prtb , capital depreciation of furniture , repairs etc

Yep - exactly what I meant. So while your tax bill may increase , your principal is reducing more

Apologies, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

All dependent on how much interest you are paying . Look at the account for last years interest , add it up and calculate 80% off it

Then minus that from 24k and that amount would be your taxable income( not taking into account all the other things you can do to reduce the tax bill like insurance , Prtb , capital depreciation of furniture , repairs etc

I thought PRTB fees were not allowed as a tax deduction?

machalla wrote: »
    I thought PRTB fees were not allowed as a tax deduction?

It is allowed as a tax deductible

• Registered Users Posts: 16 barnabyjones77

Reviving this old thread.

Did you do it? I'm considering the same. Have an apartment worth 300k and a mortgage of 185k. Looking to leave dublin and buy a house. Debating whether to sell the apartment or keep it and be a landlord.

Any updated advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

Thanks @sunnyday1234

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I did something similar in 2020 but stayed in Dublin with my new PPR.

All going well so far... apart from the ever increasing interest rate on the rental property.

The interest is tax deductible at least but it's annoying seeing larger and larger amounts coming out to cover it each month.

Advertisement