Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's for you, won't pass you..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    First of, congrats for getting that far. I don't know how I feel about that saying: who decides who gets what? A Christian God, the universe, Buddha, Odin maybe? And if so, why do some people seem to have far more luck(y breaks) than others? I would think that if there is some force out there that directs these things it would have a better sense of justice and distribute it more evenly?

I used to think like you OP but I think the above post is closer to the mark. Life is entirely random, you might be lucky, you might not be.

Lucky is relative and everyone has their own perception of what luck is. Mine is good health and happiness, everything after that is a bonus. Others believe wealth and money are the key to their luck.

OP you were lucky, one door closed but another opened which suited you better.

Keep us posted on how you get on in the final stages and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I used to think like you OP but I think the above post is closer to the mark. Life is entirely random, you might be lucky, you might not be.

Lucky is relative and everyone has their own perception of what luck is. Mine is good health and happiness, everything after that is a bonus. Others believe wealth and money are the key to their luck.

OP you were lucky, one door closed but another opened which suited you better.

Keep us posted on how you get on in the final stages and good luck.

"The harder I work the luckier I get."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

That saying is horse plop.

I've missed stuff, lost stuff and had stuff taken from me that I worked for and earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The only phrase more slappable than that is "At least you have your health"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd love to hear whether or not you believe that certain paths in life are set in stone, or if maybe it's all just down to chance?

It's not really down to chance or, to be more specific, that there's millions of endless possibilities.

I happen to be like my dad in a number of ways and it has consistently turned out that the most profitable / rewarding optons have been the ones on a the similar course.

This is a good thing in a way. For instance, I'm not too insecure in a job that works alongside people on less pay and conditions who actively aspire to what I'm doing because, despite all else, the basic character structure seems to fit it and I have seen cleverer people than me make incredibly hard work out of exactly same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Why didn't you just put on the spare wheel?
    If it was a 3 hour journey surely you had 15 minutes wiggle room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I hate that phrase. If I get where I want to in life it will be down to my own grit, determination and hard work. If it's for you don't let it pass you is how I like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Had an interview for a job I didn't want a few weeks back.

Wasn't too bothered so just went through the interview without making much effort while still remaining professional with answers to questions I was asked.

Anyway, made my way back home thinking I had no hope of getting the job.

A week later the agency rang to say I didn't get the job but the company had another role available at double the salary so I accepted it and 2 weeks in it's going really well, it's a great place to work. My new boss just happened to mention that the job arose because someone else didn't turn up for interview and made a really lame excuse.

PS: On the way to the interview, by car, an absolute lunatic in another car overtook me at twice the speed limit (with a flat tyre) trying to catch the train that had already left the station. I guess that train wasn't for them because it had already passed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A load of b011ox really
    Said post failure to achieve/do something, to justify said failure, to deny the responsibility for the failure to some universal preordinations or machinations. In this case, lack of preparation or cutting things too fine caused a missed oppurtunity. No grand scheme in play.

"Good luck" in the next interview OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Had an interview for a job I didn't want a few weeks back.

Wasn't too bothered so just went through the interview without making much effort while still remaining professional with answers to questions I was asked.

Anyway, made my way back home thinking I had no hope of getting the job.

A week later the agency rang to say I didn't get the job but the company had another role available at double the salary so I accepted it and 2 weeks in it's going really well, it's a great place to work. My new boss just happened to mention that the job arose because someone else didn't turn up for interview and made a really lame excuse.

PS: On the way to the interview, by car, an absolute lunatic in another car overtook me at twice the speed limit (with a flat tyre) trying to catch the train that had already left the station. I guess that train wasn't for them because it had already passed them.

Lol! I enjoyed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No I don't believe it. It's a combination of what you do yourself, and chance. There will be really nice coincidences - like your situation OP (good on you for being shortlisted - very best of luck!) and Fizzlesque's story is great, love it.

They made a positive change themselves which happily had an equally positive domino effect, yet it might not have. Same with you resuming the job hunt instead of moping around.

Yeah, I'd like to think that it's true, like there's definitely an element of fate at play..
    Unfortunately though, I think that whatever was for me might well have passed me by..
    That was probably my own fault though partly anyway..a series of unfortunate events..
    Hopefully it hasn't and it'll all work out.. not really holding my breath though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah, I'd like to think that it's true, like there's definitely an element of fate at play..
    Unfortunately though, I think that whatever was for me might well have passed me by..
    That was probably my own fault though partly anyway..a series of unfortunate events..
    Hopefully it hasn't and it'll all work out.. not really holding my breath though..

But the point of the saying is, what's meant to be *can't* pass you by. Whatever happens is for a reason and if it was meant to be it would have happened... You can't believe in the saying but also think what WAS meant to be HAS passed you, it's a complete contradiction.

This is it wrote: »
    But the point of the saying is, what's meant to be *can't* pass you by. Whatever happens is for a reason and if it was meant to be it would have happened... You can't believe in the saying but also think what WAS meant to be HAS passed you, it's a complete contradiction.

I said I'd like to think it's true..

Advertisement