Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it right to be skeptical?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Oh right, so I guess the philosopher Socrates would have been too dumb to figure out what Jesus was talking about.

Where's your proof that Socrates even existed?

Clearly you don't understand evolution. What good would Jesus have been if he existed in the time of Neanderthal man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Effects wrote: »
    He had to wait long enough for humans to evolve to a level where they could understand and accept him. It's not that difficult to understand.

Best comment on this thread so far...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yup. And to the materialist (in the sense already discussed) this means it’s not real, or not important, or not meaningful, or none of these things. Hold onto that thought.

Yuval Noah Harari picks up on that theme in his book, Sapiens. He basically says that our biology is material reality, and everything else is an imagined reality (religion, nation states, culture, public limited companies, economics etc. etc.) that may be useful or even valuable, but is ultimately a construct we use to make sense of the world and our experiences in it.

Obviously, as a Christian I disagree with many of his conclusions but it's still a really stimulating read that approaches these questions from a purely materialistic perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The star positions over Bethlehem at Christmas for the birth of Jesus could never have happened, the bible is a joke of a book if it can't get basic real facts correct.

False.

The scientific and cosmological evidence today confirms the narrative written two thousand years ago about a cosmological event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO7Dz0uOMjM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

hinault wrote: »
    False.

The scientific and cosmological evidence today confirms the narrative written two thousand years ago about a cosmological event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO7Dz0uOMjM

I think the best that can be said is 'maybe'. Not the 'never happened' as our co-poster puts it, but not solid scientific or astronomical evidence either (I suggest you meant 'astronomical' rather than 'cosmological'?).

Advertisement