Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinged mechanism on rear pannier rack

Options
  • 20-04-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I’ve a pannier rack that came with my new bike and it has the strong hinged flap that would nearly take the fingers off you. I’ve no idea of a functional purpose for it. Anyone know? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Carrying a newspaper. Or other stuff. Think you can also get panniers that are held in place by this but I might be dreaming

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thenumber3 wrote: »
    I’ve a pannier rack that came with my new bike and it has the strong hinged flap that would nearly take the fingers off you. I’ve no idea of a functional purpose for it. Anyone know? Thanks.

Holding stuff down? I have one on my commuter, sometimes it holds a rolled up jacket.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

Fair enough, thanks. Yeah, beyond holding something that’s pretty flat can’t see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

You can wedge a fairly large item between the hinge and the saddle/seat post. I used to wedge a large rucksack in there.

It's handy to have bit certainly not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The original Kryptonite u-locks were, I've read, designed specifically to be held in place by those spring-loaded retainers.

Not what the mechanism was designed for, obviously, but I thought that was mildly interesting.

They're ok, as said, for holding newspapers in place, and satchels, for example. Something that can lie down with a shallow profile.

• Advertisement

There's that story:
    IMG_6230kryptonite3small.JPG
    https://sheldonbrown.com/kryptonite.html

A Pletscher rack is what it's called, it seems.

Add basketballs to the list of things already mentioned here:
    The key feature is the mousetrap, which lets you carry small loads—basketballs, newspapers, clothing, like that—on top of it.
    It's a stupendous saddlebag support. Even without the optional rails, it holds most panniers no problem. The rails are good if you plan to use panniers often.
    https://www.rivbike.com/products/pletscher-clem-rack

Advertisement