Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT salary deductions

Options
  • 20-04-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what salary deductions will be on my payslip once I start working as a primary teacher.

These are the ones I can think of

Paye income tax
    PRSI
    USC
    Pension deduction
    INTO sub (non compulsory)

Are there any others?

I know there are salary protection policies, but are there any other compulsory deductions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what salary deductions will be on my payslip once I start working as a primary teacher.

These are the ones I can think of

Paye income tax
    PRSI
    USC
    Pension deduction
    INTO sub (non compulsory)

Are there any others?

I know there are salary protection policies, but are there any other compulsory deductions?

Thanks

1.5% spouse and child deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

5% Coppers deduction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Millem wrote: »
    1.5% spouse and child deduction.

Handy when you are an orphan and a life long bachelor and infertile.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I’m a bit too mature for the Coppers deduction!!

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Handy when you are an orphan and a life long bachelor and infertile.

I read somewhere that it is all refunded if you die and you don’t have kids or a spouse.

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that it is all refunded if you die and you don’t have kids or a spouse.

Refunded to who? The state If you've no next of kin.

Refunded to who? The state If you've no next of kin.

From the asti website....

So I get it back so long as I don't die, don't wed or have kids?bit unfair to those that do have spouses/kids and don't die

So I get it back so long as I don't die, don't wed or have kids?bit unfair to those that do have spouses/kids and don't die

I presume it goes into your estate if you do die and you have no children or spouse.

I presume it goes into your estate if you do die and you have no children or spouse.

Bit crappy if you die intestate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Don't forget the Additional Superannuation Contribution (ASC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the spouses and child contribution is a good thing.
    I know of a teacher with kids who's spouse died suddenly so it eased the burden of her mortgage and funeral expenses a bit (I presume!)

So if you don't have kids/spouse you get it back
    ... and if you do, think of it as an insurance policy.

I Don't know how much it is.

I would like to know how 'the fund' is managed though... but presume it just goes into the general tax pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought the "getting it back if u don't have kids/spouse" was gone if you started after a certain date?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thank you all. Is the pension made up of three contributions so, the main contribution, the 2% spouse and child contribution (seems to be 2% for new entrants? ) and the ASC which replaces PRD.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

Refund only applies to member of the original scheme (closed to new entrants since late 70's for men and early 80's for women) who never married and had no children at date of retirement. If person was to marry after date of retirement the scheme would not pay any benefits to any surviving spouse of children.

For new members to the revised and now single scheme there is no refund at date of retirement. The scheme will pay benefits to any surviving spouses or children upon death of member, including marriages/births that occurred after retirement date of the member.

Statutory deductions are PAYE,PRSI,USC, Single Pension Scheme Contributions, ASC (Pension Levy with new name - this is a pay cut in every sense as there is added benefit to paying this!). LPT will also be deducted if you own a property and have instructed Revenue to collect it from your salary.

You will also need to keep your Teaching Council Registration current and valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I think the spouses and child contribution is a good thing.
    I know of a teacher with kids who's spouse died suddenly so it eased the burden of her mortgage and funeral expenses a bit (I presume!)

So if you don't have kids/spouse you get it back
    ... and if you do, think of it as an insurance policy.

I Don't know how much it is.

I would like to know how 'the fund' is managed though... but presume it just goes into the general tax pot.

Was her husband a teacher? I always thought it was a payment to the spouse if the teacher dies. So if something happens to me, my husband and children will receive something but I’ll never benefit financially from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Was her husband a teacher? I always thought it was a payment to the spouse if the teacher dies. So if something happens to me, my husband and children will receive something but I’ll never benefit financially from it.

I could be wrong there so I'm open to Correction. It's just what another colleague mentioned to me. Maybe it's cos the spouse was also a public servant.

Advertisement