Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you be the main driver on a car you don't own?

Options
  • 20-04-2019 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

My grandmother is the main driver on her car that's in her name. I'm a named driver on her policy. Could she sell the car to me, as in transfer the car into my name but remain the main driver on the insurance policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jp1506 wrote: »
    My grandmother is the main driver on her car that's in her name. I'm a named driver on her policy. Could she sell the car to me, as in transfer the car into my name but remain the main driver on the insurance policy.

No, unless they’ve changed the rules in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is nothing fundamental that prevents this (stop the 'insurable interest' nonsense if you don't understand it).

But in an effort to minimize risk exposure, none of the insurance companies in ROI I am aware of would quote her in such scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably not, it could be seen as fronting.

Advertisement