Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist Assaulted in North Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hopefully they are caught soon. Utter scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Hopefully not cycling related as such, other than he happened to be on a bike at the time.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Sounds a bit like the car could have been one of the weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

scotchy wrote: »
    Hopefully not cycling related as such, other than he happened to be on a bike at the time.
    I was just thinking that - i.e. the collision was a sort of apprehension of someone they were after anyway rather than a collision with an unrelated cyclist.
    A number of men got out of a black saloon car and assaulted the man with weapons after their car collided with him on Swans Nest Road shortly after 10.30am on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

scotchy wrote: »

Hopefully. But even still, some of the comments already online about this story would make you question ever getting on a bike again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Hopefully. But even still, some of the comments already online about this story would make you question ever getting on a bike again

If he was walking would it question you walking ever again?

If he was walking would it question you walking ever again?

If all the comments said he deserved it for walking, then maybe, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

If all the comments said he deserved it for walking, then maybe, yes.

What comments here said the cyclist deserved it for cycling? None.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

yes please let us know the forum people said he deserved it for cycling. Hard to believe.

TCM wrote: »

I never said here, I said online. Comments on the independent article are a mix of arguments over postcodes and people suggesting it was likely the cyclist or “Lycra brigade” who started it, “go what he deserved” etc. which is a great little insight into the attitude of some towards cyclists for no reason other than that they cycle. Nothing new in terms of cycling articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I never said here, I said online. Comments on the independent article are a mix of arguments over postcodes and people suggesting it was likely the cyclist or “Lycra brigade” who started it, “go what he deserved” etc. which is a great little insight into the attitude of some towards cyclists for no reason other than that they cycle. Nothing new in terms of cycling articles.

Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't appear it was because he was a cyclist to me either, rather because he was a specific person.

TCM wrote: »

The indo doesn't have comments as far as I See? Nothing like you are saying on the journal or here. Please link your assertion about people blaming cyclists as nobody else sees it. Without the links it just looks like you are trying to cause friction where none exists. So as already asked numerous times show the links please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Good God people, can you stop looking for something to fight about?
    There are some comments under the Facebook post by the Indo on this, but I'm damned if I'm going to collate then.

Usual rules apply - no speculation please about a motive, or lack thereof, as this is a criminal offence being investigated by the gardai.

work wrote: »
    The indo doesn't have comments as far as I See? Nothing like you are saying on the journal or here. Please link your assertion about people blaming cyclists as nobody else sees it. Without the links it just looks like you are trying to cause friction where none exists. So as already asked numerous times show the links please.

Yes I’m just making it up to stir ****... it’s the same on any cycling article unfortunately. Even when cyclists are killed there are comments about traffic delays due to accidents. I tend to try and ignore the comments but in an incident as serious as this, I find it concerning that there are people who take it as an opportunity to have a dig at the cyclist. Even if it is a targeted attack/not random, the attitude is still present.

“Being a cyclist he probably deserved it”

https://m.facebook.com/thejournal.ie/#!/story.php?story_fbid=2378691385484605&id=137576076262825&anchor_composer=false

“Bet it was the cyclist who started it he wanted all the footpath .road etc ha ha“

“Aka one of the local Stephen Roche wannabes got smart with the wrong car and had manors put on him”

“Don’t know the details but a lot of cyclists have an attitude the road belongs to them....the need to understand that vehicles have more rights and i am sure most of them drive daily as well so should know the rules...we same them in Galway wearing very little protective gear and lights and stop streets means nothing....pass on the inside or outside with high risk and makes every move the car owners problem...”

https://m.facebook.com/Independent.ie/#!/story.php?story_fbid=10157478142228470&id=96796398469&anchor_composer=false

Edit: painstakingly drafted on mobile so didn’t see the mod warning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Would hi viz have helped?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

scotchy wrote:

That's what I read into the story too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pkiernan wrote:
    Would hi viz have helped?

Yes. It would have made it easier for them to hit him in this case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

“Don’t know the details but a lot of cyclists have an attitude the road belongs to them....the need to understand that vehicles have more rights and i am sure most of them drive daily as well so should know the rules...we same them in Galway wearing very little protective gear and lights and stop streets means nothing....pass on the inside or outside with high risk and makes every move the car owners problem...”

He's got a point, I never pay attention to stop streets.

Yes I’m just making it up to stir ****... it’s the same on any cycling article unfortunately. Even when cyclists are killed there are comments about traffic delays due to accidents. I tend to try and ignore the comments but in an incident as serious as this, I find it concerning that there are people who take it as an opportunity to have a dig at the cyclist. Even if it is a targeted attack/not random, the attitude is still present.

“Being a cyclist he probably deserved it”

https://m.facebook.com/thejournal.ie/#!/story.php?story_fbid=2378691385484605&id=137576076262825&anchor_composer=false

“Bet it was the cyclist who started it he wanted all the footpath .road etc ha ha“

“Aka one of the local Stephen Roche wannabes got smart with the wrong car and had manors put on him”

https://m.facebook.com/Independent.ie/#!/story.php?story_fbid=10157478142228470&id=96796398469&anchor_composer=false

Edit: painstakingly drafted on mobile so didn’t see the mod warning :)
    Sorry for being so naive but I didn't believe people could be so ignorant. Is this not a form of hate speech. Anyway thanks for linking, its saddens me to see this and I do not know the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not joking, you cannot mention the word 'bicycle' in a group of non-cyclists without at least one of them foaming at the mouth. And this effect, as is normal, is amplified online

Sorry for being so naive but I didn't believe people could be so ignorant. Is this not a form of hate speech. Anyway thanks for linking, its saddens me to see this and I do not know the solution.

No bother, never read the bottom half of the internet :D

Hopefully it’s mostly keyboard warriors all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

see I think this is a problem with Media reporting - ok so let's suppose this was a little Chav in his grey tracksuit* on horseback and 'the lads' hopped out of their car to give him a hiding for whatever reason: I wonder if the media would have the headline with 'Jockey assaulted...."? don't think so. I reckon it's not entirely deliberate but putting the word 'cyclist' in automatically just because this person happened to be on a bike that time, adds to the problem and fuels the anti-cyclist crap that people who like to comment on stories spew out (such as the asshats that thought the poor missing Owl last week actually did attack a child and threatened to kill it if they saw it...that sort of person...)

*I realise a lot of nice people might have tracksuits that happen to be grey, but if ye grew up where I did then it's a bit of a label to be honest

“Gardaí said the attack was not a random one targeting cyclists in general and the victim appears to know his attackers.“

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-for-more-garda-on-the-streets-after-armed-thugs-attack-cyclist-39-38037642.html

Advertisement