Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Business class - check in Dublin airport

Options
  • 21-04-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am on a rare business class ticket heading to USA in near future - I note that there is a 'business class' check in at Dublin Airport.

My question is, what is the benefit of checking in there versus checking in online in advance and just doing bag drop?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hi
    I am on a rare business class ticket heading to USA in near future - I note that there is a 'business class' check in at Dublin Airport.

My question is, what is the benefit of checking in there versus checking in online in advance and just doing bag drop?

Thanks!
    It’s just a dedication area where you basically don’t have to que up with cattle class, you can probably check in online and still drop your bag off in the business class area without queuing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

‘There are not the same delays as big tag and drop. Also your luggage gets the business class sticker which means it is first off the plane in the USA. Its a more personalised service and to be honest, it’s just one of those perks of being “business” also don’t forget you get priority screening (fast track) with business (something I keep forgetting when going through DA).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

While the Q may be shorter I find business class people tend to make more small talk. And the staff have to oblige them and the Q moves shortly. Sometimes you are better off in the cattle market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

ted1 wrote: »
    While the Q may be shorter I find business class people tend to make more small talk. And the staff have to oblige them and the Q moves shortly. Sometimes you are better off in the cattle market

A few hundred people versus 4/5 and economy goes faster?! It must be some amount of small talk! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats what the couches are for...

The staff on the business desk tend to be more experienced and fly through the check in process.

A lot of people have multiple bags, multiple connecting flights onto strange airlines which add time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ve only ever used the Business/AerClub check in at T2 in Dublin since it opened. (10-20 flights per year)

95% of the time it’s grand, with either no one or 1-2 people in front of you.

The very odd time you can turn up and there could be a line of about 7-8 groups waiting to check in. This is usually because of a ‘problem*’ passenger. You know the one who queries every single minute detail at the check in desk, and makes arguments for the sake of making arguments.

* problem passengers are found at all check in desks (business & cattle), and in my experience are usually American and/or elderly).

Maybe problem passenger is a bit harsh a description to use, but they make a 45-60 second process drag out to about 5-7 minutes, and sometimes even longer for no reason at all!! Just because they can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’ve only ever used the Business/AerClub check in at T2 in Dublin since it opened. (10-20 flights per year)

95% of the time it’s grand, with either no one or 1-2 people in front of you.

The very odd time you can turn up and there could be a line of about 7-8 groups waiting to check in. This is usually because of a ‘problem*’ passenger. You know the one who queries every single minute detail at the check in desk, and makes arguments for the sake of making arguments.

* problem passengers are found at all check in desks (business & cattle), and in my experience are usually American and/or elderly).

Maybe problem passenger is a bit harsh a description to use, but they make a 45-60 second process drag out to about 5-7 minutes, and sometimes even longer for no reason at all!! Just because they can.

Spot on there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Thats what the couches are for...

The staff on the business desk tend to be more experienced and fly through the check in process.

A lot of people have multiple bags, multiple connecting flights onto strange airlines which add time.

Spot on. I only use it when trying to book through a couple of flights.

As an aside I will grant you that the "occasional" Business passenger is the worst. Asking CC who are the hardest passenger to deal with it's not First (who travel like this always and are used to it) or Economy (expect nothing) but the occasional Business class travel who flies Economy personally. They literally want everything coming to them - especially freebies and free alcohol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, enough is enough, this was a thread about Check in, NOT about private aircraft. A significant number of off topic trolling posts have been deleted, and if there are any more, infractions will follow.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

I am travelling to JFK with AL next week and thinking off adding lounge access for an extra €30.
    I actually thought AL used 51st & Green but it appears they have their own lounge which looks a bit basic and cramped.
    I checked with DAA and get access to 51st & Green also for €30.

Has anyone experiences with both and which would they recommend?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Hey
    For your Atlantic flight I would choose the 51st and green. It is after CBP so you can enjoy it for much longer than you can the EI lounge in T2.
    technocrat wrote: »
    I am travelling to JFK with AL next week and thinking off adding lounge access for an extra €30.
    I actually thought AL used 51st & Green but it appears they have their own lounge which looks a bit basic and cramped.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hey
    For your Atlantic flight I would choose the 51st and green. It is after CBP so you can enjoy it for much longer than you can the EI lounge in T2.

I would actually agree with you on that.

The breakfast is actually pretty decent there. The coffee is far superior. Although during busy periods getting a place to sit is a little difficult.

TIA

The Aer Lingus lounge is before US border pre clearance, so don’t bother with it, as when you leave, you still need to do the 30-120 minute wait to get through pre clearance. Get through US pre clearance and use 51st & Green if you want to use a lounge. You then leave the lounge as the flight starts to board, so you get maximum bang for your buck.

Also, the Aer Lingus lounge is rubbish at Dublin Airport. They have soup & crap coffee. 51st & Green has great food options as well as barista coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Aer Lingus lounge is before US border pre clearance, so don’t bother with it, as when you leave, you still need to do the 30-120 minute wait to get through pre clearance. Get through US pre clearance and use 51st & Green if you want to use a lounge. You then leave the lounge as the flight starts to board, so you get maximum bang for your buck.

Also, the Aer Lingus lounge is rubbish at Dublin Airport. They have soup & crap coffee. 51st & Green has great food options as well as barista coffee.

+1 for 51st and Green, a very decent lounge, nice view too. Plus free booze for anyone needing a pre-midday straightner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭notuslimited

I have experience with both and I would recommend 51st and Green over the EI Aer Club lounge. Better nibbles and view out of the window. The 51st lounge is also less crowded as it’s bigger.

Having said that, I would also recommend that you keep your money in your pocket as neither are worth the money. If you are on the 105 the food can be a bit hit and miss. I would buy a breakfast from one of the restaurants. It will be much better than anything you will get in the lounge. If you are on the 109 and you want to have a drink before you get on board, I would head to the public bar.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I wouldn't bother with either of them to be honest, my advice would be to save your thirty quid and put it towards a nice restaurant dinner when you get there...
    If you really must sit in a lounge before you fly then the 51st makes more sense as it's after CBP.

I wouldn't bother with either of them to be honest, my advice would be to save your thirty quid and put it towards a nice restaurant dinner when you get there...
    If you really must sit in a lounge before you fly then the 51st makes more sense as it's after CBP.

Maybe the poster wants to actually sit in a lounge before their flight. You know, like the reason why they asked?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭notuslimited

Maybe the poster wants to actually sit in a lounge before their flight. You know, like the reason why they asked?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

People respond to this thread because they are trying to offer some advice from their own personal experience. They do it with the best of intentions and not to get their post count up like others you might see lingering about.

People respond to this thread because they are trying to offer some advice from their own personal experience. They do it with the best of intentions and not to get their post count up like others you might see lingering about.

I just don't get it. This thread is about business class and then a question about the lounge. Why do people feel the need to go to the effort to respond to a thread to tear it apart?

Why fly business class when you can fly economy?
    Why buy a BMW when you can buy a KIA?
    Why buy a Rolex when you can buy a Seiko?

Maybe some people want these things. I have flown TA many times out of Dublin both in business and economy. I ALWAYS go to the lounge. It nice to chill out and relax before a flight. Only thing I dont like about 51st is the furniture is a bit grubby going on the last time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As mentioned above a piece of personal opinon was shared. No-one was "tearing apart" the suggestion. no-one was telling the OP off for wanting to go to the lounge

I too would agree that lounge experience is dependent on what you want from it. Some ppl like the quieter surroundings, some the booze, some the food. 51st & green offers great views of the runway and aircraft movements. Personally I like the brekkie in the T2 upstairs food area. But the OP may be looking at which option is best as a 'treat' from themselves and their companion. 51st is probably a better option as you can spend more time there.
    If travelling to the US I think 51st is worth the entry if you will spend more than an hour there, otherwise not worth it for 30 mins. (I like the views!) Again that is my preference which Im sharing in a non judgmental capacity.

My response was based on having status and free access to both, I would not pay for either tbh as they are not worth the money imho. It's pretty easy to get status with AA if you know you will be flying to the US multiple times in a year I paid €90 for a "challenge" which meant I needed to knock up 12.5k km in a month to get boosted to gold, and as I already had 2 trips booked in the same calendar month it was very easy to hit and worth the €90 spend of my own money giving me lounge access in all of Dublin, Heathrow and multiple US airports for the next 12 months, plus I almost always got business class access on the domestic US legs as a bonus, small though it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Opinion sought, opinion offered, what's wrong with that?
    I have access to both and never use them, I certainly wouldn't pay to use either but each to their own.
    I prefer to buy a Butler's coffee than the free coffees in the lounges, I don't drink so the alcohol doesn't entice me and they can be like bus stations at times with the amount of people coming and going trying to get their thirty quids worth of free buffet food.

Things have a got a tad heated since I last posted!

Like most on here I am an aviation enthusiast hence the interest in 51st & Green lounge with its views of the runway.
    I am taking the 105 flight and got the upgrade bid email from AL but looks like biz class has sold out so pointless putting in an offer.
    Rather I’ve decided to pay extra for a window seat and treat myself with lounge access than splash out big time on a biz class bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Things have a got a tad heated since I last posted!

Like most on here I am an aviation enthusiast hence the interest in 51st & Green lounge with its views of the runway.
    I am taking the 105 flight and got the upgrade bid email from AL but looks like biz class has sold out so pointless putting in an offer.
    Rather I’ve decided to pay extra for a window seat and treat myself with lounge access than splash out big time on a biz class bid.

Fair play, take the opinions of everyone on here on board (no pun intended) and do whatever you want.

I’m thinking of doing the same myself heading to the US in a few weeks. Listening to the comments though I’m not sure it will make sense for me. Might wait to see how long Pre Clearance takes and if quick pay the higher “on the day” price.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Fair play, take the opinions of everyone on here on board (no pun intended) and do whatever you want.

I’m thinking of doing the same myself heading to the US in a few weeks. Listening to the comments though I’m not sure it will make sense for me. Might wait to see how long Pre Clearance takes and if quick pay the higher “on the day” price.

€35 for lounge access is a good starting point for extra pampering before shelling out big bucks for biz class :D

€35 for lounge access is a good starting point for extra pampering before shelling out big bucks for biz class :D

Exactly, and if someone is doing a once in a year/once in 5 year trip to NY for shopping or whatever, what's an additional €35 to sit in a nice lounge, and enjoy some nice drinks/coffee/food while you wait, feeling part of the jet-set!!

If anything, paying for 51st & Green would make the most sense and be best value for money, as it's the one lounge you'd probably spend most time in, given the early arrival time at the airport for pre clearance etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Exactly, and if someone is doing a once in a year/once in 5 year trip to NY for shopping or whatever, what's an additional €35 to sit in a nice lounge, and enjoy some nice drinks/coffee/food while you wait, feeling part of the jet-set!!

If anything, paying for 51st & Green would make the most sense and be best value for money, as it's the one lounge you'd probably spend most time in, given the early arrival time at the airport for pre clearance etc...

I generally get free access via status or occasionally flying business but I always go to 51st and Green. Aside from buffet and good coffee, I often use the excellent shower facility’s. Overall it’s worth the money, especially if your on a later flight and like a pre flight drink

Casati wrote: »
    I generally get free access via status or occasionally flying business but I always go to 51st and Green. Aside from buffet and good coffee, I often use the excellent shower facility’s. Overall it’s worth the money, especially if your on a later flight and like a pre flight drink

Aye its by far the nicest lounge I have been into at Dublin airport and it was always fairly empty when I was in there, so plenty of space, time to relax, have a bit of breakfast, a coffee or a beer depending on what takes your fancy, great views of the runway and only a very short walk to your gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye its by far the nicest lounge I have been into at Dublin airport and it was always fairly empty when I was in there, so plenty of space, time to relax, have a bit of breakfast, a coffee or a beer depending on what takes your fancy, great views of the runway and only a very sort walk to your gate.

the gin selection though :eek::eek::)

Advertisement