If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to Atmos

Options
  • 21-04-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, 

I'm upgrading the home cinema set up (already posted a thread about getting a new TV) and I'm looking for help converting the current 5.1 setup to Atmos. 

My current receiver is a Marantz NR1608 which is Atmos ready so should be good there. My current speakers are KEF KHT 1005.1 (these guys - https://www.richersounds.com/kef-kht1005.html ).

First question is are the speakers fit for purpose or do they need upgrading? 
    Second question (presuming I'm keeping the KEFs) is what (and how many) Atmos speakers would suit them? I'm open to all options including ceiling speakers if that's the way to go. 

The room is 18ft wide by 13ft long. Ceiling is just under 8ft high. 

Actually one other question while I have you there. I'm moving my turntable into the same room. I have a Project pre-amp so no problem if I want to connect to the Marantz. Just wondering would I be better off picking up an inexpensive (<£200) dedicated stereo amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers (eg. Wharfedale Diamond 9) instead?

Thanks for reading. 

All the best.

Michael

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.