Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the going rate for building a pc?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

beauf wrote: »
    Science Studio is an interesting channel.

I'm sad that he's being sued, and that it seems more serious than he initially felt it would be. It's completely frivolous. He's one of the few PC guys I can stand to watch because he's a man grown and doesn't have dick jokes and cringey humour in his every video like bitwit, J2C, and the big fella that collabs with J2C sometimes. It's Science Studio, Gamer Nexus, and Gear Seekers (you peek, we seek) primarily for me, with Aunty Lisa from MobileTechReview for laptops and digital art solutions. Oh and L1 Tech, though he's too smart for me to follow most of the time :pac: good for Linux stuff though.

Hope he comes out of it unscathed but that update video he posted last week worries me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The irony (considering this thread) being he's slagging of pc builders for posting unrealistic prices. His reason being you can build a pc cheaper than they most places sell it.

Of course any drama is click bait, and his business is ad revenue from views. There's been a lot of these I'm being sued videos lately some even made a parody of of it for Aprils first.

I was expecting some content about making income from flipping pcs. Couldn't really find any. As a lesson in building a YouTube channel however it's text book.

The irony (considering this thread) being he's slagging of pc builders for posting unrealistic prices.

Sigh... there is no irony if you are attaching something that exists only in your head. That's called 'confirmation bias'.

Pity he doesn't mention his income from flipping pcs in his video about his channels income then. ...

This guy is another channel builder....

https://youtu.be/enooLt7DDOY

Here he (6.20) said he's flipped 12 to 13 pcs in a year.

https://youtu.be/uFnvt6dKlvg

https://youtu.be/enooLt7DDOY

It seems the way to make money is not flipping pcs but to make videos about flipping pcs. Or videos about other pc builders silly prices.

I didnt realise this was a thing on YouTube. But I guess every channel is doing the same thing. Power of social media and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I have built quite a lot, and I take my time, because one mistake could add another 2-3 hours worth of work. I usually take 5-7 hours per build. Been paid 3 times so far for people I don't really know. The biggest issues are your not really making much money for your time unless your charging upwards of €100 which most people would just put towards a pre built. And if anything doesn't work its immediately your fault and your going to "Fix/Replace" it.

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I have built quite a lot, and I take my time, because one mistake could add another 2-3 hours worth of work. I usually take 5-7 hours per build. Been paid 3 times so far for people I don't really know. The biggest issues are your not really making much money for your time unless your charging upwards of €100 which most people would just put towards a pre built.

This is very true, especially if you're the type that wants to get the person 'the best rig' they can out of it and spend too much time looking for the best components and deals :pac: If someone was to do this for a bit of extra money, I would recommend they put together a list of components for different 'tiers' of rigs and stick to that for a few months. That is if they're seeing a few clients vs doing it for a few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

I made this post purely to see if there was someone in this fine community who could help me put together my first ever gaming pc as I’m not too confident about doing it myself first time with €1500 worth of components, thankfully I’ve found someone who is generously willing to help and actively refusing any compensation and I’ll be assembling my new baby alongside them this weekend. I’d just like to point out that without the help from people in this community I don’t think I would have gotten this far and got the best value for my money

Glad you got sorted OP, enjoy the rig :)

Just in time for the Steam Golden Week sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ogsjw wrote: »
    Payment isn't going to 'jinx' the build, folks... :pac:
    When you receive payment for building, you have to pay tax on the income. You then have to build enough to support yourself, and to pay the taxman. You'll need to build them quickly, and hope that all the parts work. Law of statistics means that there's a higher chance of breaking something the more times you do it, as said parts are from an external vendor.
    Hundreds of thousands do this thing that supposedly no one does. :rolleyes:
    In larger countries. Ireland is a small country, where everything has to be sent by air or boat if posting outside of Ireland.

[QUOTE=ogsjw;110053828The original claim was 'it's too risky to charge'.[/QUOTE]
    If it's done as a favour, should something break down the line, the person will need to look after it themselves. If you charged, the person can go back to you for you to fix it, and it becomes your problem.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    When you receive payment for building, you have to pay tax on the income.

Yeah I'm sure this happens a lot!!! :pac:

The line of thinking regarding charging changing the dynamic of breaking a component is wrong, get the hell over it already. Everyone else has long moved on.

This thread is as accurate financially as wheeler dealers is. Don't ruin it for them.

Even ScienceBoi starts off his latest video with mentioning he spent a fair while building and flipping rigs with a 50 markup.

Lawd.

But his pointers are actually solid advice, if someone wanted to pursue it.

Heres link for the wheeler dealers...

https://dublin.craigslist.org/d/computers/search/sya

Heres link for the wheeler dealers...

https://dublin.craigslist.org/d/computers/search/sya

I don't understand what you're going for with that broken English, but who in Ireland uses Craigslist? :pac:

No idea but thats the video your recommending. "How to List a PC on Craigslist"

Textbook Wheeler Dealer.

No idea but thats the video your recommending. "How to List a PC on Craigslist"

Textbook Wheeler Dealer.

He's a yank (and a very succesful one I might add).

In Ireland we use Adverts, and increasingly, Facebook for selling stuff.

You new in the country beauf?

Its the same all over the world "apparently", so it doesn't matter where anyone is or what site they use. Its exactly the same.

Get in there before Mike Brewer hears about it.

it doesn't matter where anyone is or what site they use. Its exactly the same.

You should travel more (though I guess this is your travelling as I don't think you're from Ireland?). Facebook is definitely used all over the world for sales, but Irish people also use a site called Adverts, the Americas tend to use Gumtree/Craigslist, European Countries have their own version of Adverts, China has something connected to WeChat, hell, Japan still uses Yahoo Auctions heavily; when was the last time Yahoo was relevant in the west? lol. Also ebay is pretty international but is becoming second fiddle to facebook at this point....

Let us know how you get on so....if you're that confident about it, should be licence to print money for you.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on so....if you're that confident about it, should be licence to print money for you.

I think you may be going through something mate, never said I aspired to it personally. This thread, since the OP, has been for one individual doing it for another individual, possibly as a once off. Read the OP again. No worries if English is not your first language, wires get crossed :)

That's such a surprise.

Perhaps those guys on youtube also realised there's more money in making videos than doing PCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

his thread, since the OP, has been for one individual doing it for another individual, possibly as a once off. Read the OP again.

No it was not here's the OP again
    LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    How much do you charge for building a pc? Is there even a professional service for things like this in Ireland? I’d imagine it could be a pretty lucrative side venture for anyone competent enough to do it!

Once off PC build a "lucrative side venture" ?
    Do you really think that's what he had in mind? How much would you have to charge for a once off build for it to be considered lucrative?

tuxy wrote: »
    No it was not here's the OP again

Once off PC build a "lucrative side venture" ?
    Do you really think that's what he had in mind? How much would you have to charge for a once off build for it to be considered lucrative?
    I read it before posting that last comment.

'He'd imagine' =/= I'm actually asking for someone to do it, which is what he was asking, if you'd read the thread.

Both possibilities are actually fine to posit however, lots of people do it (tech youtubers frequently mention they do it even) and the reality remains that charging 50 for a build does not change how screwed you are in the 0.1% chance you are responsible for a component breaking.

He wasn't saying people could get rich off it, nor was anyone else.

Honestly beyond pathetic I'm still having to repeat that.

tuxy wrote: »
    Once off PC build a "lucrative side venture" .....How much would you have to charge for a once off build for it to be considered lucrative?

Lucrative side venture - producing a great deal of profit.. making a living of it...viable business.

...Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...;)

Lucrative side venture - producing a great deal of profit.. making a living of it...viable business.

...Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...;)

He used it once, you have no way of proving he's wrong, and at least put some effort in and post the gif...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Op's system is built and running (minus drivers and app / time constraints limited this).
    I didn't think people on a forum section like this would ever want money for this? Its a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

deceit wrote: »
    Op's system is built and running (minus drivers and app / time constraints limited this).
    I didn't think people on a forum section like this would ever want money for this? Its a lot of fun.

Can’t thank you enough man, now to patiently wait a couple weeks till I get my peripherals sorted and I can finally become part of the master race =P

Really need pictures to oggle....

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »

"Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life". That's why some people get into the tech youtuber market too.

Grats on the rig OP.

Now let's see Deceit's cable management :pac:
    LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    I can finally become part of the master race =P

You now have a machine that is used daily by the best minds into the world to look into the cosmos, to cure disease, to improve lives the world over, to empower and democratize. Starting this journey using this cringeworthy phrase that insecure 14 year olds use to put down others is not an amazing start ;) Enjoy the platform; you can even emulate other very worthwhile platforms on it ;) You can even develop your own content, completely for free, with free and open source software. The PC platform is about freedom and flexibility, not gatekeeping, it's not a tree-house with a 'No Girls Allowed' sign hanging off it ;)

Advertisement