If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound bar or surround/Atmos sound for LG 49SK8100PLA

Options
  • 21-04-2019 3:14pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, the family room is being redecorated, which gives me the option to put in wiring for an appropriate sound system,  the TV (recent purchase from yourselves) is being built into a new wall unit, which gives me the chance to hide the wiring for things like the Sky + box and the like.

It's now a case of deciding which way to go for the sound side of things, the walls can be channelled if I do it now, I have a Samsung Blue Ray Home entertainement system (HT-F4500), which could go in with this set, or I can put in a separate amp and speakers, or a sound bar.

Looking for ideas, the room size is 4.8 Mtrs wide and 4 Mtrs depth, ceiling height 2.5 Mtrs. Wiring at floor level is unfortunately not an option, as the floor is tiled, and there are doors either side of the wall that the TV will be mounted on. I can get wires above the ceiling if I do it now, before the wall unit goes in, or Bluetooth to the rear with mains power on that wall is an option. 

I don't need ( and can't afford) crazy money for the sort of top end systems that are out there, we don't watch enough films and the like to justify that sort of spend, but I'd like to be able to get better sound that we can from the set on it's own, we had an old 5.1 system that died a while back, and that made things like sci fi films a lot nicer to be watching ( and listening) to, and while the LG sound is not bad, there's no way that it can produce sensible bass like the sub woofer can.

So, what are my options?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

So, the family room is being redecorated, which gives me the option to put in wiring for an appropriate sound system,  the TV (recent purchase from yourselves) is being built into a new wall unit, which gives me the chance to hide the wiring for things like the Sky + box and the like.

It's now a case of deciding which way to go for the sound side of things, the walls can be channelled if I do it now, I have a Samsung Blue Ray Home entertainement system (HT-F4500), which could go in with this set, or I can put in a separate amp and speakers, or a sound bar.

Looking for ideas, the room size is 4.8 Mtrs wide and 4 Mtrs depth, ceiling height 2.5 Mtrs. Wiring at floor level is unfortunately not an option, as the floor is tiled, and there are doors either side of the wall that the TV will be mounted on. I can get wires above the ceiling if I do it now, before the wall unit goes in, or Bluetooth to the rear with mains power on that wall is an option. 

I don't need ( and can't afford) crazy money for the sort of top end systems that are out there, we don't watch enough films and the like to justify that sort of spend, but I'd like to be able to get better sound that we can from the set on it's own, we had an old 5.1 system that died a while back, and that made things like sci fi films a lot nicer to be watching ( and listening) to, and while the LG sound is not bad, there's no way that it can produce sensible bass like the sub woofer can.

So, what are my options?
    Hi Irish Steve.

Thanks for the post.

You could indeed still use your current HTF4500 setup. I'm not familiar with this system so not sure how it sounds.

There are many option you could change to depend on your budget.

If you wanted to stick with a 5.1 setup then there are system like the Denon AVRX2500 + Elac cinema 5.1 priced at £449
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13653-denon-avrx2500-jbl-cinema-5-1-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Or perhaps the AVRX2500 paired with the Fyne F300 5.1 pack priced at £899
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13679-denon-avrx2500-fyne-audio-f300-5-1-av-speaker-pack-black-av-receiver-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

For a soundbar you could look at the POLK MAX SR priced at £499 which come with a subwoofer and wireless rear speakers priced at £499:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203213-polk-max-sr-5-1-home-theater-soundbar-wireless-rear-surround-speakers.aspx

There are very few other soundbars with wireless rears that doesn't cost over £1000.

What sort of budget are you thinking and i can see what else might fit into it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I will indeed have a look at those suggestions, I had also been looking at the SK9Y from LG, with the add on of the SPK8S kit for the rear, albeit that there would be some wiring between the rear receiver and the speakers, as that seems to tick a lot of the appropriate boxes, given the capabilities of the TV.

The SK10 won't fit the unit that the set is going in, I have a max width limit of 1200mm, so the 9Y is the only option there, and I was kind of hoping that with both TV and sound bar coming from LG, they might "play" better together than mixing manufacturers.

It's more than some of the suggested options, but we don't upgrade that often, so I'm kind of looking to try and make sure we cover as many bases as possible.

Is that a viable and appropriate direction to be looking?

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

I will indeed have a look at those suggestions, I had also been looking at the SK9Y from LG, with the add on of the SPK8S kit for the rear, albeit that there would be some wiring between the rear receiver and the speakers, as that seems to tick a lot of the appropriate boxes, given the capabilities of the TV.

The SK10 won't fit the unit that the set is going in, I have a max width limit of 1200mm, so the 9Y is the only option there, and I was kind of hoping that with both TV and sound bar coming from LG, they might "play" better together than mixing manufacturers.

It's more than some of the suggested options, but we don't upgrade that often, so I'm kind of looking to try and make sure we cover as many bases as possible.

Is that a viable and appropriate direction to be looking?

Thanks

Steve
    Hey Steve.

The SK9Y would be an excellent product to add. I've heard it on demo here at the store (Excluding rears) and it was very good!

The SK9Y can also decode and output a Dolby Atmos soundtrack which bring even more life to movies that have the Atmos soundtrack.
    The SK9Y is currently priced at £599
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203307-lg-sk9y-5-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos.aspx

I've checked and don't seem to see the SPK8S on our site so I'd would need to check if we can actually get our hands on them. They seem to be priced around the £149 mark.

The only other you could possibly look at would be the Sony HTZ9F which is also priced up at £599
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203249-sony-htzf9-soundbar.aspx
    There is also a deal of £100 off the SAZ9R rears dropping them down to £199

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.