Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing destruction. Burnt out. Now horse stables!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It’s always someone else’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt someone would have the balls to go vandalising traveller's houses.
    They're not known for their timid nature if there is a problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

zell12 wrote: »

I've always envied the quick and unrestricted access that Travellers and Illegal Immigrants (more elegantly described as Asyslum Seekers) have to Kitty Holland and her pals in the Irish Times's "bleeding heart" unit.

I wonder would Kitty be willing to give similar coverage to the unfortunate member of the Settled Community who opened this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I wonder did the family take a photo and report anyone they caught dumping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

biko wrote: »
    I doubt someone would have the balls to go vandalising traveller's houses.
    They're not known for their timid nature if there is a problem..

Must have been the Amish again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

STB. wrote: »

Absolute rubbish.....

Pity none of them can actually clean up after themselves.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My house would have rats and flies around it too....

If I didn't actually clean up after myself and my kids, threw rubbish out the back, dumped nappies for the council to clean up etc.

You've gotta laugh at them. They create the filth then moan about conditions they live in.

biko wrote: »
    Please stop referring to these people as "animals". They are still people.

It’s an insult to animals calling them animals, no animal would act the way they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I worked on the Ballybane Irish Communtity Resource Center in the early 2000's (the extension to the existing gym/hall).

Was on that job for a good few months. The surrounding estate then was smaller but there are plenty of stories I could tell you from then. Absolute mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same as when these particular houses were being built and at the same time being stripped of pipes, tiles, etc. Par for the course with these sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why doesn't our reporters and news agencies actually do some work and show them up for who they really are....

Obviously there are to many in the private sector making shed loads of money off providing the housing and building such sites for them.

They burn anything that a family member died in so that would explain why most houses on the sites are destroyed but don't forget the stripping of materials and also the stock piling of anything such as precious metals that they have to burn outer sheathing off to expose the metal....

Scrap yards that take in materials off these should be shut down and only registered and legal forms allowed and once procedures are followed for public and environmental safety.

Theft of catalytic converter is huge now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And then what do we do? Build more prisons? Condemn someone else to live with them?
    All well and good exposing the behaviour but what can be done (within the confines of the U.N convention on Human Rights) to eradicate or confine the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Cllr Larkin said the photographs depicted the “wanton destruction” of houses that were built with public money. He estimated that some €2 million worth of “damage and destruction” was caused to the properties – “an utter disgrace” given the huge number of people deemed homeless and on the City Council’s housing waiting list.

If someone came into Galway and robbed €2 million in a bank heist, it’d be all over the news, but here you have €2 million worth of damage caused to public property, that’s €2 million of taxpayers’ money, and there isn’t a word about it,” fumed Cllr Larkin.

I think that Cllr Larkin summed it up there. There has to come a point where we start to frame wanton destruction of publicly funded property in this manner, it is no better than robbery. We have a far too lackadaisical attitude to these things and while there are people willing to make excuses for it, it will continue, while it's "PC" to ignore it , media outlets won't cover it with the vigor it deserves lest their patronage be affected.
    At this point to say some communities can't help it is the ultimate degradation of their humanity.

I'm actually glad we have a Councillor willing to take this on, it requires some serious guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think that Cllr Larkin summed it up there. There has to come a point where we start to frame wanton destruction of publicly funded property in this manner, it is no better than robbery. We have a far too lackadaisical attitude to these things and while there are people willing to make excuses for it, it will continue, while it's "PC" to ignore it , media outlets won't cover it with the vigor it deserves lest their patronage be affected.
    At this point to say some communities can't help it is the ultimate degradation of their humanity.

I'm actually we have a Councillor willing to take this on, it requires some serious guts.

Although totally different cases, this reminds me of the child grooming etc in those English cities, that the authorities turned a blind eye to as they didn't want to appear to be racist.

Now that travellers have got protections under the law, everyone in any place to say so is scared sh1tless of calling them out, for fear of being called a racist.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. And fair play to this guy for highlighting it, unlike others who are pussyfooting around, using generic language that isn't offending anyone.

If I went in and wrecked a house belonging to the local authority, I'd be arrested and put in jail, yet these folk are allowed to ruin perfectly good houses and f&*& all is done about it. They appear to be above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

flazio wrote: »
    And then what do we do? Build more prisons? Condemn someone else to live with them?
    All well and good exposing the behaviour but what can be done (within the confines of the U.N convention on Human Rights) to eradicate or confine the problem?

Hmm! that might well be a solution.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hmm! that might well be a solution.

OK maybe "eradicate" wasn't the word I was looking for but, you get my point. We want the problem off our doorsteps, We elect officials to decide what to do, they don't have a clue other than to put the problem on someone else's doorstep, and on and on it goes.
    Is there anyone out there with a workable idea that will not have us in international courts for discrimination, racism cultural appropriation etc.
    Tell me there's light at the end of this tunnel.

Advertisement