Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Channels Dropping

• 21-04-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, just bought a Saorview connect box. Using an internal aerial but signal strength & quality are at or close to 100%. Yet, signal on channels dropping from time to time e.g. RTE1 & VM1. Any suggestions as to what might be the issue. Living beside Three Rock transmitter in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I'd try to locate the aerial so as to minimise chances of interference pickup from other devices, & also physical obstruction from people moving around. (Also outdoor obstructions, say traffic, but there's less you can do about that.)

In or near a window facing the transmitter is usually a good spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

An internal antenna can be terribly hit and miss, particularly if it is a set top job and not a properly installed loft antenna.

I know of two houses that use a set top antenna, both within shouting distance of three rock. One has perfect reception all of the time and the other varies with the weather and how many people may be in the room at the time.

Your best bet would be to try and put something outside, even a small external antenna would probably sort it for you. For a location near Three Rock, a simple correctly grouped contract aerial would do the job. For Three Rock, operating on channels 30 and 33, you need a Group A (Red tip) antenna, horizontally polarised.

Like this one - https://www.freetv.ie/red-group-a-uhf-aerial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Ger Roe wrote: »

I know of two houses that use a set top antenna, both within shouting distance of three rock. One has perfect reception all of the time and the other varies with the weather and how many people may be in the room at the time.

I encountered that myself though both of them were perfect until RTE NL did work on 3 Rock and obviously changed something slightly

Advertisement