Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery

Options
  • 21-04-2019 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to get eye surgery done! Where would best place locally to Sligo to get it done. As far as I know optilase no longer operate in Sligo!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there.
    I’ve sent you a PM with information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lizze

Hi,
    did you have it done?? i am also thinking of having it done! I am based in Galway and also have to travel to have it done if I go ahead. If you are in the west we will have to travel to Dublin for another consultation prior to surgery, for the surgery and then for the checkup after! It's a lot of extra time and expense. Are the Lazor eye companies/clinics open to discussing the prices? does anyone know are they flexible with their prices? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I got it done with optilase in Dublin. THere is one in Galway, Sligo and Galway too.

I can't remember how much I paid for mine. I think it was about €2,800 or something like that.

You can usually get an additional €500 off but that would remove the lifetime warranty on it, from what I remember.

As for haggling, I didn't do it. They gave a few deductions and then I gave the name of someone who had it done with them before so go a further €100 off too.

THere was a free consultation which lasted about 30-40 minutes- you won't be able to drive for a few hours after this and you won't be able to read bus numbers / your phone for an hour or two either.

Then there was the treatment itself which keeps you there for about 2 and a half hours but the actual laser part is only for about 5 minutes.

THen you have a check up 5 days later to see how it's pregressing. I think there may have been another a month after but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

can you finance laser now? like an above poster im from sligo to, very interested to where ye got it done in the end? best price and such

• Advertisement

Optilase have financing according to their website.

https://optilase.com/laser-eye-surgery-pricing/

I've no idea on the interest rates on it but I assume it's with a 3rd party finance house and not taken out through Optilase themselves.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Optilase have financing according to their website.

https://optilase.com/laser-eye-surgery-pricing/

I've no idea on the interest rates on it but I assume it's with a 3rd party finance house and not taken out through Optilase themselves.

thanks for taking the time to link me that page, its a shame its so expensive, but hopefully its an investment, any problems after you after your surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

St. Westy wrote: »
    thanks for taking the time to link me that page, its a shame its so expensive, but hopefully its an investment, any problems after you after your surgery

And it might be not permanent:) So look for somebody that will give you lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

can you finance laser now? like an above poster im from sligo to, very interested to where ye got it done in the end? best price and such

Hi, I haven't gone through with it yet.. I am still asking people. Alot of people at work has got it done in the Mater in Dublin. Apparently the doctor who does it there, was the very first doctor to do it in Ireland. I can't recall his name though..

My vision wasn’t too bad beforehand (-2.75 or something like that) but I still think it was worth the money just to not have to wear glasses and to be able to see signs properly while running and even getting to wear sunglasses while driving.

If your vision is really bad it will be a complete life changer for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi, I haven't gone through with it yet.. I am still asking people. Alot of people at work has got it done in the Mater in Dublin. Apparently the doctor who does it there, was the very first doctor to do it in Ireland. I can't recall his name though..

Michael o Keeffe runs the clinic in mater private. Top fellow at his game. Had it done ears ago, got about 15 years out of it.

patspost wrote: »
    Michael o Keeffe runs the clinic in mater private. Top fellow at his game. Had it done ears ago, got about 15 years out of it.

Bingo! That's his name! I heard great things! 15 years?? I thought it was for life??

It might be but not always. You might get worst in a year or less or you might loose your sight after operation. That's why i will stick to contact lenses.

loki7777 wrote: »
    It might be but not always. You might get worst in a year or less or you might loose your sight after operation. That's why i will stick to contact lenses.

Lose your sight after the operation? Holy moley! Damn that sounds risky! :eek:

Your eyes might get infected and go blind by wearing contacts. Best to just wear glasses.

Your glasses might break and glass could cut open your eyes causing blindness. Best to just go with your natural vision.

You might die try crossing a road by getting hit by a bus because you weren’t wearing your glasses.

All pretty small percentages, just like losing your sight for laser eye surgery.

\

very rare, even extremely rare to lose your eyesight after laser, with todays technology and knowledge got over the years, when it first came out it was like 3 grand an eye, and very little known about it, nowadays its such a common surgery to get and you hear no stories of bad experiences, so don't be spreading fear, besides I need to get it done to further my career, so its just a matter of time now, waiting until this lockdown is over:pac:

https://www.facebook.com/LasikComplicationscom-40484458189/
    A chance to have vision problems after LASIK(don't know the other method) is around 1-5% which is high.

You do what you have to do but ppl should be aware as well.

https://www.facebook.com/LasikComplicationscom-40484458189/
    A chance to have vision problems after LASIK(don't know the other method) is around 1-5% which is high.

You do what you have to do but ppl should be aware as well.

Vision problem does not equal blindness.

People had vision problems before getting the surgery

Is it 1% or is it 5%? Surely this anonymously run Facebook page is a fountain of well sourced, accurate, and unbiased information.

There are potential issues with every surgery and the team in the clinic will make you well aware of all the information you need to consider.

cloneslad wrote: »
    There are potential issues with every surgery and the team in the clinic will make you well aware of all the information you need to consider.

Will they - i can't see any q&a over there?

Off course this FB page is just an example but to have a solid proof you would need to meet a person like that. 1% is 1 person in 100 to have some problems with visions and ok now we can see perfect using glasses/contacts.
    We can see normal but what if after the operation you won't be able to see as before it - will somebody take a blame for it and try to help you or "you singed and now it is your problem"?

I know that ppl like firefighters need perfect vision to work so it is only chance for them but for the rest there is a risk to calculate.

Infection while using contacts most of the time is from user neglacy.

Will they - i can't see any q&a over there?

Yes, they will and they do. They will also prevent you getting it done if you aren't suitable. They are not in the business of taking €3,000 from you for the risk of paying you much more than that if you aren't suitable.

solid proof you would need to meet a person like that. 1% is 1 person in 100 to have some problems with visions and ok now we can see perfect using glasses/contacts.

We can see normal but what if after the operation you won't be able to see as before it - will somebody take a blame for it and try to help you or "you singed and now it is your problem"?

It is not 1% for having issues with your vision at it is extremely rare, I would even go so far to hazard a guess as never, that someone in Ireland has gone completely blind from it.

The issues people may get is dry eye or some glare from lights at night.

I don't work for Optilaise or any other company doing eye surgery so I'm not going to keep debating the issue...although I do have loads of time on my hands lately

• Advertisement
Advertisement