Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

• 21-04-2019 7:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate stickied Season 8 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

Note - No spoiler tags required for the current episode in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pretty good second episode, will certainly please those who found the first episode boring. Nice seeing Arya getting her kit off haha.
    Lot of laugh out loud moments in it again which is a bit strange, brans opening line for me was a standout line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Aria still looks like a kid. Gendry doesn’t. I found it uncomfortable.

Built tension alright but would have preferred if more stuff happened beyond reunions and conversations.

Is the crypt a good place to take shelter from a necromancer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Built tension alright but would have preferred if more stuff happened beyond reunions and conversations.

Is the crypt a good place to take shelter from a necromancer?

If he gets that close to them they're dead anyway. Agree with you about Arya and Gendry getting in on being a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Decent episode with hopefully the end of these reunion/feel good moments between characters and it's all business from now on. Odd that Cersi didnt appear once in this episode

I honestly thought Jons big reveal would be more epic but it's really a bit anti climatic and not much of a deal tbh

That end was a bitch as u just want it too continue and now we have too wait another week

Happy with the leak as I can now go asleep instead of being up til 3am too watch it. Hard too knw will next weeks be leaked ??

The hound what a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Enjoyed that episode. Felt like the final bits of levity and fun the show had left. Things are going to get sad, brutal and bloody from this point on.

How much time has actually passed in the show? Book Arya was 9 but aged up to 11 in season 1. I know it's medieval times and all but Gendry, come on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

J. Marston wrote: »
    Enjoyed that episode. Felt like the final bits of levity and fun the show had left. Things are going to get sad, brutal and bloody from this point on.

How much time has actually passed in the show? Book Arya was 9 but aged up to 11 in season 1. I know it's medieval times and all but Gendry, come on...
    The world's about to end, there's no time left for morals.

Could have made one episode out of tonights and last weeks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Mc Love wrote: »
    Pretty good second episode, will certainly please those who found the first episode boring. Nice seeing Arya getting her kit off haha.
    Lot of laugh out loud moments in it again which is a bit strange, brans opening line for me was a standout line.

I feel dirty - but happy at the same time :D

But seriously, Arya has been my favourite character throughout, but I still see her as a baby - I was very conflicted during that scene. I would liken it to seeing your daughter get nailed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Lol HBO had a tweet earlier about 'things Arya did before 18' , now it's obvious why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I am not ready to see Lyanna Mormont die on the battlefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Pretty good second episode, will certainly please those who found the first episode boring.

:confused: They literally sat/stood around almost the entire episode engaging in smalltalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Pretty good second episode, will certainly please those who found the first episode boring.

Not sure about that ... was quite a boring episode really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hmm....hiding all the noncombatants in a crypt full of dead bodies when your enemies can raise the dead has... a certain obvious flaw as a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You're not the only one, it seems :o

YizGfQil.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They could have really done without that scene with Arya and Gendry.
    It just felt tacked on.
    Although apparently she was 11 for season 1 so therefore she would be 18 now so it shouldn't feel out of place.
    I suppose because we've watched her as a child from season 1 it was always gonna be awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The show seems to have lost any semblance of subtlety and has been taking too many Member Berries. I felt like these two episodes, this one far more so, wasn’t trusting it’s audience to remember details from the past. It felt very clunky for most of it.

The reunions and big moments, like Jon revealing his lineage to Dani, are still underwhelming. Thank god for all the action that’s coming because I trust they will be consistent with that at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That was kinda Sh!te to be quiet honest. Conversations between characters were predictable. Waste of two episodes imo. Kicking off next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

mike_ie wrote: »
    Hmm....hiding all the noncombatants in a crypt full of dead bodies when your enemies can raise the dead has... a certain obvious flaw as a plan.

How do the resurrections happen. I thought the night king only had power over those he or his army killed as in the Hardhome zombies. Does he have to touch the dead in order to raise them? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I thought that episode was brilliant. Probably the last time we'll get to see some of these huge characters interact.
    Episode 3 is going to be absolute carnage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I really want to see how Bran is getting about in that wheelchair.

He was in a foot of snow at one point, then indoors refusing help from Tyrion in what one can safely assume is not an accessible building.

We really should have seen it by now, what is he going to do when the Night King comes for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Fantastic episode, this is why I watch, not for the big battle scenes, but for the characters.

Regarding Arya's age, Sansa was going to be married to Joffrey when she was 13 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I really enjoyed that. The humour was funny and the interactions were moving. As people have said, it's obvious most of these characters will not speak again. It was nice to enjoy that for a final time and not just rush to the doom.

That is what episode 1 should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I agree, great episode, a real tension builder.

What else would people do when they know almost certain death is heading their way? They would be busy making plans on the best chance of survival, they would sit around reminiscing about times gone bye and they would try get laid for the first/last time.

Next week is surely going to be 72 minutes of balls to the wall action.

My girlfriend and I both agree that was the worst episode of Game of Thrones to date.

We thought the last one was fine cause it brought everyone together in some meaningful way, but this would just had awful dialogue with a focus on all the wrong stuff.

I wish there was only one episode left next week because clearly, if they are finding time to knight Brienne, sing songs, and talk about cocks, there is absolutely nothing of substance left.

Couldn't they even write a few lines more for Dany and Jon at the end? What purpose did it serve cutting the only important part of the episode short. Pathetic. And why did Sam need to interrupt Bran when Bran was finally saying something interesting.

And how the heck did Jaime and Bran meeting get less screentime than Arya and Gendry with Arya being her little ninja self. I feel cheated after so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

It's a spectacular failure, the best kind of failure. All the goodwill built up between certain characters, all to be undone before our eyes.

Any scene with Emilia Clarke is automatically terrible. She was fine as the frail innocent bride in the beginning, but her acting has not changed a bit since then despite having a roller-coaster of a story arc! The CGI dragons have more emotion than her.

What more could you ask for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Could have made one episode out of tonights and last weeks..

We could’ve had a good moan about how rushed the reunions and battle preparation were then! Seriously though, this is hopefully going to be one of the best battle of the show and a number of those characters are going to be bumped off. For all the complaints about pacing last season, think they’ve gotten it right slowing down this season.

Also, Arya threw those obsidian shards with about as much vigor as you'd expect from a Ground Sloth... It's like they're not even trying half the time.

Brilliant television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Very disappointing. 70 minutes of faffing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Jeez Louise, tough crowd, great episode in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

HONESTLY

HONESTLY

Thought we'd get something.

Next Week is Gonna BE ON THO!

I wouldn't consider those disappointed that there has been no plot or character development in two out of six episodes to be a tough crowd.

One week to set up was fine. But two? When the big reveals and moves have no impact on what is actually going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice for everyone to have their few moments before a lot of them die, I cant be the only one who got pippen vibes when he sang in LOTR return of the king before the battle of gondor when podrick sang at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

Thought we got a lot more meaningful dialogue than episode 1 and it didn't feel as rushed. Some genuinely moving scenes. GoT has never been all about the action but about the relationships between characters and that was on full show in this episode.
    Serious foreshadowing that some nasty sh*t is gonna go down in the crypts in the next episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't consider those disappointed that there has been no plot or character development in two out of six episodes to be a tough crowd.

One week to set up was fine. But two? When the big reveals and moves have no impact on what is actually going on.

I agree that the episode is largely padding; just filler before the big battle. But it's the battle that has been coming since the very first episode, with characters who've been there since season 1 or 2, talking about or putting full stops on story arcs from way back when, and some of the characters are likely going to die.

There have been plenty of big reveals and moves which ultimately had no impact on anything throughout the show as half the characters end up dying before it matters. I rewatched the whole show over the past few months and in the earlier seasons spent a fair chunk of the time thinking "Everyone in this scene dies and what they're talking about doesn't matter".

I enjoyed the episode. I thought Brienne being knighted was a great scene, as was every line Thormond said. I thought Theons return played out really well. The Jon and Dany scene was short, but obviously there's more to come, this sets up conflict between them going into the battle. I also enjoyed Sansa's scene with Dany.

It's an episode designed to set up the next one, and definitely counts as filler. But I still enjoyed most of it.

I despised it. If they had let the conversations actually progress, it would have been great.

Sansa and Dany were interrupted.
    Arya and the Hound were interrupted.
    Jon and Dany were interrupted.
    And probably more.

I wish I'd just skipped the episode instead of having actual writing dangled in front of me before seeing it snapped away for no reason. Done with this thread. It's too frustrating to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

bazermc wrote: »
    Very disappointing. 70 minutes of faffing around.

54 minutes actually, excluding opening and closing credits. And I personally found every one of those minutes highly enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One question, where the f**k did Ghost come from?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Good episode IMO. Nobody knows who’ll survive, they’ve spent years either fighting with or against each other and by morning expect to be dead. I’d imagine it’s a fairly realistic human reaction to want to be with others, reminisce, get drunk or laid one last time.

The Dany/Jon arc is set up nicely now too.

Could have done without the Arya/Gendry scene personally and I can’t have been the only one Googling Maisie Williams’ age (21 in real life and 18 on the show) which incidentally came straight up as soon as I typed “Mais...”

GavRedKing wrote: »
    One question, where the f**k did Ghost come from?

:o

I was actually wondering at the end what happened to Ghost but didn’t see him in this episode. When was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Collie D wrote: »
    I was actually wondering at the end what happened to Ghost but didn’t see him in this episode. When was that?

Standing with the three lads remembering their night watch days on the battlements

• Advertisement

I missed that. Stream picture was a bit dark although I suppose that should’ve made him stand out more :)

Also had wrong episode title.

EDIT: Actually wasn’t he with Edd in previous episodes? Not sure about at Last Hearth in Ep801 but he was at Castle Black with the remainder of the Night’s Watch while Jon was travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

I despised it.

Jesus, it's hard to know where you sit with this episode :)

This season not matter what happens is gonna **** off a huge percentage of the fan base. If it was a 10 episode season I'd be loving the catch ups but it's time now to kick. Enjoyed the episode and one I think will stand well in a watch back when it's all done and dusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I thought it was a beautiful episode.

That and the previous episode will age much better by the end of the series when almost everyone is dead.

People are inpatient for carnage and instead should be appreciating saying goodbye to these characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Brienne is brown bread for sure after that scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

That episode was worryingly upbeat episode,

-Bran forgiving Jamie
    -Sansa & Theon meeting
    -Gendry & Arya (a little uncomfortable to be honest)
    -Arya & the hound chatting it out
    -Chats & laughs around the fire with all the ol favourites.

They're all becoming members of the dead army next week aren't they

People are inpatient for carnage and instead should be appreciating saying goodbye to these characters.

And it's not like the episode was void of carnage either. Arya made mince meat of a wooden column, the big ginger fella spilled milk on his beard and Tyrion drastically over filled a cup of wine.

I'd take that over another Brienne vs Arya showdown any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I despised it. If they had let the conversations actually progress, it would have been great.

Sansa and Dany were interrupted.
    Arya and the Hound were interrupted.
    Jon and Dany were interrupted.
    And probably more.

I wish I'd just skipped the episode instead of having actual writing dangled in front of me before seeing it snapped away for no reason. Done with this thread. It's too frustrating to think about.

Its a lovely day out go out for a walk get a bit of fresh air,its only a TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I thoroughly loved this episode. The conversations were on point, the mood was wonderfully sombre with very little grandstanding and it provided a very melancholy stage for some bonding, relationship defining moments and reminders of wonderful character arcs (eg Davos serving the girl who reminding him of Shireen, Theon coming full circle).

I did find the numerous interruptions during pivotal moments of conversations far too contrived but that's a minor quibble.

Enjoyed last week's episode, loved this week's and excited for nexts.

The battles mean nothing without exceptionally good set up episodes like these

Also, loved this tweet! :)

https://twitter.com/niallmoran_/status/1120253262073081856?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I enjoyed that episode ,some nice dialogue and scenes but agreed it had some failings.
    Bran moping around again ,saying very little of note ,when he could be informing people about the night king and how best to stop him .

Can he no longer warg into creatures ,surely he would have known Cersei hadnt sent an army north .
    Did anyone else south not send ravens to inform Winterfell of this ,they still have allies south.
    He should know exactly where the army of the dead yet instead its up to Tormund and co to supply this information.

Are the Unsullied and Dothraki outside the walls of Winterfell ,if so then surely that will be the end of them .
    The strategy of fighting the dead at Winterfell seems a bit crazy ,would retreat not be a better strategy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Enjoyed that, really nicely setup for next 1.
    Arya/Gendry had to happen if potentially they end up uniting houses, perhaps could have been done more subtly. Or perhaps gendry dies soon and she raises kid as Baratheon in his honor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement