Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

....... wrote: »
    Why has no one else made a dragon glass javelin so that they can try to take out Viserion?

No-one living has the Night King's throwing arm: the Steve Backley of Westeros:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No-one living has the Night King's throwing arm: the Steve Backley of Westeros:p

they built a ballista in Kings Landing so why not in winterfell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Forces could easily retreat and scatter.

Dany off to the Iron islands.

Jaime/Tyrion off to the Twins (dont the lannisters hold it now?).

Wildlings etc off to the dreadfort or deepwood motte etc...

Maybe the thing to do would be retreat backwards to the wall seeing as the army of the dead are now south?
    The Lannisters have Riverrun. The Twins are probably empty since Arya poisoned them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Riskymove wrote: »
    they built a ballista in Kings Landing so why not in winterfell

Bloody capital getting everything while rural areas get nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Redriddick wrote: »
    Here s a thought I had last nite when lying awake. What if Arya can use the many faced god to become a white walker and sneak up and kill the king??

How would she kill one to take it's face though? When they get stabbed with Valyrian steel they disintegrate. Not likely to take a face while they are still alive and get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Why has no one else made a dragon glass javelin so that they can try to take out Viserion?

Or just dragon glass arrow heads, fire a few vollies and they should hit a few of the white walkers, which means large chunks of the wights drop.

However it wouldn't make for good visual entertainment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A blitz of arrows are an inaccurate means of planning to attack. Traditionally it's used more so as a defensive tactic to stop people from coming into a range. There's little to no point in doing this with a valuable resource. Keep it for where it's going to be more effective with various blades (for close combat) and spear points (to keep them at a distance from you).

Why throw away something that might miss, which you are going to need? How many will you have to throw to get one to hit? And how clear is it, that it'll be a fatal hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I can envisage a scene similar to the final battle in LOTR, when the ring melting caused the enemy to basically disappear.

A heroic (perhaps even suicidal) and successful attack on the Night King causes all the wights to shatter just as defeat seemed inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

I reckon with what's happened before they're bigging Sansa up lately for a dramatic collapse... Sansa will die in the crypts while Arya tries to save her, Arya goes mental and kills looooads of wights down there and pretty much saves everyone down there, except Gilly/Sam.
    On land, Theon dies, Jamie dies, Brienne lives, Thormund lives, Bronn arrives too late, tries to kill someone (Tyrion/Jamie/The Night King), but he's arrived too late and is killed...
    For The Night King to die, Bran has to die also, the Night King leaving his mark on him will have something to do with that...
    Once the Night King is beaten they'll travel South to King's Landing...
    The vision of the Throne Room in bits and a dragon flying over it shows only one dragon if I'm right? Jon has always been honourable and true to his word, he bent the knee to Daenerys so even after the big revelation it won't change anything for him, and he'll convince Daenerys and they'll get married and live happily after after... :rolleyes: I think Cersai is ready for the dragons when they come back, or at least thinks she is.. The massive crossbow thingy will be set up and another load of wildfire will be waiting for Jon/Daenerys. Once either of these die, (I'm guessing it'll be Daenerys who's pregnant) the other will go berserk (as his wife and child were just killed) and wreck King's Landing and the Throne Room. After a while whoever is still alive, I'm guessing Jon, will go mad and be killed by Jamie (Kingslayer). After everything has settled down, the only true heir to the throne would be Gendry surely? I can see something happening him, the Red Woman coming to his aid and saving him... He'll obviously marry Arya who is the new Queen Of The North after saving everyone in the crypts and because Sansa is dead, is the only Stark left alive... Arya weds Gendry... Once he dies does that make Arya the heir?

Too Long? Lots of people die, Can't wait to see Sansa be killed, never stops moping, Jon/Daenerys end up on the throne. More people die. Arya wins the Game Of Thrones...

End Scene; Arya peels off her face to reveal the face of Jaqen H'ghar, everyone now learns how to be a faceless man at school. Everyone now makes their holy communion in the Church of The Many Faced God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Course the opposite holds true too - loads drop but then NK raises the dead and next thing youre back fighting 1000s again!

Does this not prove that Jon's army are fighting an impossible battle. One of the goodies kills a few wights maybe a white walker and his sires, however in the meantime a group of 50 goodies made up of unsullied, dothraki and wildings are killed and raised again as wights. Completely pointless. Not to mention all of the dead Starks in the crypt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That would be too obvious.

There is a serious lack of strategy from Jon and the rest of his allies .

Would retreating not be a better strategy and try and engage in some sort of an ambush on the Night King when he isnt really expecting it ?
    Try and take him out instead of engaging in a dirty battle.

We saw at the Battle of the Bastards that Jon has very little strategy ,its just brute warfare and that isn't a very clever policy against an opponent with no fear and almost unlimited troops .
    Its not like a normal battle where if one side gains the upper hand the other will retreat out of fear or need to regroup.
    The dead are mindless and they will keep coming ,morale will not drop ,there is no possibility of mutiny .

Granted the living have Dragonstone weapons but these need to be wielded in close combat .
    I'm not sure how many Dragonstone arrows are available ,these would obviously be the weapon of choice.

The White Walkers all seem to have those ice spears on their horses so its risky to deploy the Dragons as they are vulnerable to these .

There will be alot of casualties I fear and these casualties will immediately switch sides which is a huge factor in the outcome of the battle.

Should be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Granted the living have Dragonstone weapons but these need to be wielded in close combat .
    I'm not sure how many Dragonstone arrows are available ,these would obviously be the weapon of choice.

To be fair, we saw last week they’ve used the dragonglass to help fortify the castle, e.g. putting it on the edge of the chevaux de fris, which should slow up the dead and allow for more single combat. Plans like that are good: essentially their strategy is just to defend the castle until they get to shoot their shot at the Night King.

But I agree in the main, this looks like a bad plan. For example letting Jaime just assign himself to Brienne’s flank...they know Valyrian Steel swords kill White Walkers! How are they not strategising around whoever has them battling them then the Dothraki/Unsullied handle whatever wights make it through the barricade?!! I don’t mind them making mistakes, that’s part of dramatic tension, but not using the little knowledge we know they do have is criminal!

The reality is, though, that we don’t fully know their plans. Just watching the preparations unfold in the background, there’s clearly more than we’ve seen. So I’ll give them a pass on it until we see how it plays out.

I don’t think I’ve ever been both dreading and looking forward to an episode like this before

You'd wonder why they didn't try to team up with the children of the forest too..

leggo wrote: »
    chevaux de fris

hqdefault.jpg
    Fancy word for a boardsie poster:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You'd wonder why they didn't try to team up with the children of the forest too..

Aren't they all dead now? I thought the last of them was in the cave with the old TER.

hqdefault.jpg
    Fancy word for a boardsie poster:p

Not gonna lie, I had to Google. I thought I knew what they were called, then went to type it and it just wasn’t there. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Watching one of those predition youtube things and a good point came up - Well a few

In the trailer, we never see the NK army at winterfell, just in front of a big city type place.

We also never see a wight in the battle scenes - none

We have seen the throne room totally destroyed in previous Bran visions and dany walking through it.

This particular theory is the NK has gone to KL - and Cerseis army and the GC is the one attacking winterfell.

If you watch the trailer it kind of makes sense. That or, the main NK army has gone to KL - but it was also pointed out the NK never lets the army out on its own, he is always with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

ardinn wrote: »
    Watching one of those predition youtube things and a good point came up - Well a few

In the trailer, we never see the NK army at winterfell, just in front of a big city type place.

We have seen the throne room totally destroyed in previous Bran visions and dany walking through it.

This particular theory is the NK has gone to KL - and Cerseis army and the GC is the one attacking winterfell.

If you watch the trailer it kind of makes sense. That or, the main NK army has gone to KL - but it was also pointed out the NK never lets the army out on its own, he is always with them.
    Can any one make out the skyline of the buildings in the last scene with the white walker is it winterfell or kings landing

no hope

[IMG][/img]nk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The NK will definitely be involved in this battle. Hes either flying the dragon or up on a height observing. Someone mentioned why can they summon the help of the children of the forest. They were all killed by the NK and his army when protecting Bran. I can see the army of the dead winning this battle and taking many casualties and Jon Snow and his allies fleeing South with Bran. I predict deaths for Brienne, Jamie, Lady Mormant (guaranteed), possibly Sansa and Tormund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To be fair, we saw last week they’ve used the dragonglass to help fortify the castle, e.g. putting it on the edge of the chevaux de fris, which should slow up the dead and allow for more single combat. Plans like that are good: essentially their strategy is just to defend the castle until they get to shoot their shot at the Night King.

Yes ,that is true ,I saw that in the behind the scenes video ,minor details in the larger scheme of things though .

Why are they relying on Theon and his men to guard Bran ,surely would you not entrust this to your best warriors ?
    I know that they want to entice the Night King in but its a bit crazy having Theon as a bodyguard ,he couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag until recently.
    But I agree in the main, this looks like a bad plan. For example letting Jaime just assign himself to Brienne’s flank...they know Valyrian Steel swords kill White Walkers! How are they not strategising around whoever has them battling them then the Dothraki/Unsullied handle whatever wights make it through the barricade?!! I don’t mind them making mistakes, that’s part of dramatic tension, but not using the little knowledge we know they do have is criminal!

Yes it all seems a bit haphazard with regard to the strategy or lack of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Thinking back to the first episode when Cersei made a big deal of the GC not bringing the elephants. There has to be a point to that - she mentioned it in two different scenes.

What did she want them for?

Also, I don't think Jaime & Brienne will both die - one will die saving the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The official blurb tells you where the NK is. Look it up if you want to know if this popular theory is coŕrect.

Why are they relying on Theon and his men to guard Bran ,surely would you not entrust this to your best warriors ?
    I know that they want to entice the Night King in but its a bit crazy having Theon as a bodyguard ,he couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag until recently.

To be fair, Theon can fight, it's more a case of his courage being in question. He took Winterfell with 20 men and, if you remember early on when Osha and the other wildlings held Bran captive, it was Theon and not even Robb who saved him.

What I'd say the gaping flaw is there is that the lad has serious form for turning on people when the going gets tough! Turned on the Starks when his da gave him a guilt trip, turned on Sansa when she begged him for help from Ramsey, turned on Yara when Euron sacked the ship! He'll probably die honourably here to redeem himself but man...why would you trust this lad if Bran is that important?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Excellent (imo) summary, explanation, and review of episode 2 (with some conjecture for next episode)

The official blurb tells you where the NK is. Look it up if you want to know if this popular theory is coŕrect.

No thanks - Ill know in 8 hrs

Last week I dozed off about about 1:30am and woke at nearly 2:30. I was recording episode so started watching then but was still groggy and missed stuff.

Debating whether to sleep now for an hour or try and sleep for a few hours later. What do you lot do?

Excellent (imo) summary, explanation, and review of episode 2 (with some conjecture for next episode)

Watched it earlier. Very good. Great for people who haven't read the books but enjoy the extra depth to the lore.

Not particularly spoilery for someone who wants to read the books iirc but some of his videos could be.

The Sunday Times listing for this episode says:
    The Night King and the army of the dead reach Winterfell, and an epic battle between the living and the dead begins.

So if your theory is right, either the ST is lying to us, or someone has been lying to them...

• Advertisement

Last week I dozed off about about 1:30am and woke at nearly 2:30. I was recording episode so started watching then but was still groggy and missed stuff.

Debating whether to sleep now for an hour or try and sleep for a few hours later. What do you lot do?

I wait till tomorrow evening. :o

I wait until tomorrow night to watch it and I avoid social media for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I stay awake and watch it at 2am on Sky and i plan on doing that for all the episodes i wouldnt be able to wait until tomorrow knowing people have already seen it ....

That’s what I’ve been doing too except I dozed off and woke at 1:30 last week! I’ll watch it again tomorrow night.

Gonna be 3:30am before bed tonight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

That’s what I’ve been doing too except I dozed off and woke at 1:30 last week! I’ll watch it again tomorrow night.

Gonna be 3:30am before bed tonight though.

I work shift work and its falling nice for me in that i dont have work on any of the mondays the 6 episodes are on so i stay up as late as i want :D

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    I wait until tomorrow night to watch it and I avoid social media for the day.

Me too, but if I'm on the Internet at all I can't help seeing bits and pieces, the headline of the Guardian review of the episode or whatever. Hasn't really mattered for the first couple of episodes because not much happened but if someone big gets killed tonight I'll find it hard to remain oblivious until 9 tomorrow evening...

Me too, but if I'm on the Internet at all I can't help seeing bits and pieces, the headline of the Guardian review of the episode or whatever. Hasn't really mattered for the first couple of episodes because not much happened but if someone big gets killed tonight I'll find it hard to remain oblivious until 9 tomorrow evening...

It will probably be harder to avoid spoilers tomorrow, because it's going to be an eventful episode.

I might just stay offline altogether.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    It will probably be harder to avoid spoilers tomorrow, because it's going to be an eventful episode.

I might just stay offline altogether.

I would stay off it altogether...there will be memes all over the place.

Tonight's episode is one you really need to watch live if at all possible. One click onto social media tomorrow without thinking and it could all go wrong fast!

• Advertisement

Tonight's episode is one you really need to watch live if at all possible. One click onto social media tomorrow without thinking and it could all go wrong fast!

That happen to me last week.
    I accidentally clicked into Twitter and saw Brienne trending. I was expecting something big to happen to her when I watched that night but it was just the knighting scene.

If I watch at 2am - I'll either fall asleep or not pay enough attention because I'm tired.

I'm going to try a total online ban tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kids are back in school so I’m getting up at 5:30 to get all their stuff done lunches uniforms etc. then I’m gonna watch it and wake them after 7. Best laid plans never work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Or listening to the wrong radio station...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Don't forget about the front page of the Daily Mail, at least on the website. They might even hold back the presses for the finale. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Don't forget about the front page of the Daily Mail, at least on the website. :rolleyes:

Very easy ignore that rag

Or listening to the wrong radio station...

Yes, staying offline may not cut it for the Monday Night's Watch. We may need to lock ourselves in a wardrobe (without our phones) all day or something...

• Advertisement

Wake up!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Work at 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I must admit to having a less-than-favourable view of episode 2, and wasn't planning on watching it over again before ep. 3. However, I'm now changing my mind after reading through this thread.

As for it being the "worst episode ever"? No. I know there have been certain episodes over the run of the show that have left me feeling a bit unfulfilled, but as far as I'm concerned this is the greatest TV show of all time, certainly the one I have invested myself in most. So I think that even the episodes that are possibly below-par (in the way that they didn't totally grab me) are still far superior to almost anything else on TV.

I must definitely re-watch the Brienne knighting scene again. So many comments here about how beautiful and moving it was, whereas I just felt it was a bit on the cringe side.

On the flip side, I didn't really have a problem with so many important conversations being interrupted - on the eve of the most vital battle in the history of mankind, surely conversations would be interrupted as more important events took precedence (I did wonder if Theon turning up would really be considered important enough to barge into a private meeting between the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and the Lady of Winterfell though!)

Same. I went to google "What is the significance of the knighting screne..." after reading the comments here.
    Just seems to be the usual maudlin sentimental scene that presages the death of a character and just means one or both of them will die in the next episode.
    Something that was fine and had impact the first few times it was used, but is now just too obvious and the impact is lost.
    In that vein, Greyworm is also a cert to die too.

Guys, this is the episode 2 thread. Don't talk about episode 3 here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement