Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7 Kin" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That's hardly a spoiler, it was from the trailer before the season even started.
    As it turns out, I might be off with the location a tad, with it being all dark and stuff.

Read the first post of the thread. Only episode discussion allowed. Mentioning (future) things seen in a trailer for Season 8 is undoubtedly a spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

....... wrote: »
    Only his bones are there. The silent sisters cleaned them and put them in a box that Baelish gave to Catelyn.

Id be more worried about mummified remains that are more or less in one piece (if any exist).

I think the crypts do not turn out to be safe, but maybe not for the reasons we might think.
    Didn't Bran, Rickon and co escape Theon through the crypts? So there must be secret passages etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Didn't Bran, Rickon and co escape Theon through the crypts? So there must be secret passages etc.
    They hid down there from what I remember and came back up after Ramsay had taken Theon prisoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Will the iron bank have a roll this season?.

If there is a battle for Kings landing, could the iron bank help deanarys.

Say offering the mercenaries more money to switch sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My predictions for who might die next week.

Beric Dondarrion - I like Beric but his character is dead in the books anyway so he'll always be on my list simply because his character has lived longer than it should. That being said, since they didn't go ahead with the Lady Stoneheart storyline I suppose they can basically do anything with the character.

Podrick Payne - The reality of war is that young men die all the time. So as away of capturing that reality, Podrick will probably die. It would be a huge loss for Brienne too, to have the person she has mentored all these years to perish instead of her. Would be like a mother losing a son I think.

Edd - That scene between Jon, Sam and Edd made me realize that they are the last survivors of the group that joined the Night's Watch at the start of Season 1. I don't know what happened to the rest of the Night's Watch but i'd say Edd will probably die in the battle leaving only Jon and Sam left.

Davos Seaworth - Will probably die trying to save Lyanna Mormont or that girl he spoke to who wanted to fight.

Thormund - Finally I think Giantsbane will die in the battle. It'll be a huge blow to the fans to see a character that has become so beloved and brought about a lot of fun moments in the show to perish in the battle. Such is the nature of war I suppose. Although I also suspect he'll become King of the Wildings as well so i'm kind've iffy on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They're walking us through the little ninja's weapon plenty. And they walked us through the first big crossbow as well. I'm not going to assume that they're making a big crossbow since they haven't mentioned the dragon once apart from Bran.

So because they used a narrative device to build tension one time(the crossbow reveal) it follows that it should be used all the time does it. There's such a thing as going back to the well too soon you know.
    Westeros is about to have a battle like no other in thousands and thousands of years.. A battle with the White Walkers south of the wall. And all we know is Breinne's hill is pretty good. So yeah, I'd like to be walked through the preparations for a couple of minutes. Could some information not be garnered from Tormund as to how the WWs attacked Last Hearth? Was there evidence he used the dragon at all? Did they make it over the walls? Did giants smash the walls? All potentially interesting conversation.

Was Tormund there during it? I assumed he arrived after like Edd. Look I'm sure the books will be full of the sort of munitae you want, but this is a visual medium they have to pick and choose what details to give and what to hold back. Personally I'm glad they haven't choreographed the whole battle plan ahead of time for us and that there may be some surprises ahead.

Will Arya be waiting in the gods wood to protect Bran and take out the NK with her spear. Will the NK turn up at all, or as others have theorised bypass Winterfell entirely in favour of Kingslanding. What traps do they have planned to thin out wight herd. Who will die. All of these questions are thankfully still up in the air because they chose not to show their whole hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Pretty sure Grey Worm will die - once you mention going off somewhere after the battle with your beloved, you're dead.

Brienne - yep, she'll die, but she'll die a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

Pod - he dead. He sang a sad song before the battle, so ...

The Hound, yep, he's dead too -will probably save Arya as his final redemptive action.

Jorah Mormont - Pretty sure he's dead too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The Hound, yep, he's dead too -will probably save Arya as his final redemptive action.

Nah - the Hound has to finish out by killing his brother.

I noticed that they didnt give him or Beric much of an emotional moment in episode 2 - so I think they are both still wearing plot armour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Rickon is surely still a candidate for zombifying?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Pretty sure Grey Worm will die - once you mention going off somewhere after the battle with your beloved, you're dead.

Brienne - yep, she'll die, but she'll die a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

Pod - he dead. He sang a sad song before the battle, so ...

Jorah Mormont - Pretty sure he's dead too.

I think they'll flip it - Missandei will be the one to die

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »

You dont get to see the beaches of Naarth when you express that thats all you want out of life after the war.......

rawn wrote: »

And he'll still go to protect her people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭all the bais

scoobydude wrote: »
    Easy... Simpsons season 8 brought us some of the greatest moments in comedy

Lousy smarch weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Riddle101 wrote: »
    My predictions for who might die next week.

Beric Dondarrion - I like Beric but his character is dead in the books anyway so he'll always be on my list simply because his character has lived longer than it should. That being said, since they didn't go ahead with the Lady Stoneheart storyline I suppose they can basically do anything with the character.
    They could possibly have him resurrect someone alá Lady Stoneheart. A bit of a nod to the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

They could possibly have him resurrect someone alá Lady Stoneheart. A bit of a nod to the books?

Sansa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

And he'll still go to protect her people

*wipes away tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Daith wrote: »
    Sansa?

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They could possibly have him resurrect someone alady Stoneheart. A bit of a nod to the books?
    You're getting Beric and Thoros confused. Thoros resurrected Beric a bunch of times but he died on the mission to capture a wight, so unless Melissandre shows up, no one is getting brought back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

If this series finishes without any role for the Iron Bank/repercussions from them I will be deeply disappointed. I suspect the golden company might be the mechanism by which the bank intervenes in events in Westeros and puts Cersei in her place.

Fairly sure Beric gave his life to resurrect Cat and make her Lady Stoneheart.
    Passed the flame along, or something like that.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt it be great if they got the battle for humanity out of the way in the next ep, and then have 3 further episodes of an accountant trying to reconcile the Westeros filings for the last few years. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You're getting Beric and Thoros confused. Thoros resurrected Beric a bunch of times but he died on the mission to capture a wight, so unless Melissandre shows up, no one is getting brought back.
    I'm not.
    Beric resurrected Lady Stonehart/Cat. And then he died.
    Thoros wouldnt' do it so Beric gave his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

That could be one of my all time favourite episodes. I'm not ashamed to admit tearing up at the line "Rise Brienne of Tarth, a knight of the Seven Kingdoms" and her reaction.

I also loved Davos and Gilly both connecting with a lookalike of Sylese who taught them both to read.

Sam giving a Valyrian steel blade back to House Mormont and granting Jorah the absolution that Jeor never got to.

Theon coming back to die in Winterfell as a Stark with Sansa whom he saved and survived abuse with. To sacrifice his life defending the little brother he'd betrayed. Heavy sh!t man.

I'd rather have scenes like those than a recap from Tormund of thing we've already seen and that has been mentioned twice already or the unveiling of ...a scorpion, the revelation of which was pretty flat when Qyburn did it in the previous season, and it's hard to make anything Qyburn related flat.

Episode one, put everyone in place for the ultimate sacrafice. Episode two reminded us why the f*ck we care about the loss of these characters.

The only bad points of the episode were when Sansa was confronting Dany and Jon confronting Dany were interrupted in fairly tropey outside ways.

You get the feeling that pretty much everyone at that fireside Sean Nós sesh could die next week, though I expect one of the Lannisters to make it back to Kings Landing.

It would be easier to predict who I don't think will die next week.
    The Hound for Clegane Bowl.
    Arya to cross Cersie off her list
    A Lannister for Valonquar (possibly in tandem with Arya above) Jaime will probably die, might even prove himself Azor Ahai in the process. Tyrion might survive the battle and catch a bolt in the belly from Bronn
    Jon/Dany 50/50, I'm leaning towards Dany - enraged by the loss of another love and without Tyrion's wisdom, flies off to melt Kings Landing. If Jon survives, I can't imagine he'll give two sh!ts about Cersie
    Bran, my own crack-pot theory is that if the Three Eyed Raven is trapped in an eternal struggle with the Night King and if there can be multiple TERs there can be multiple NKs. This NK is defeated and Bran isn't marked by the new one, he can travel way, way north and hide under another tree as an air gapped backup of mankind's history. Bran might even over see some building at Eastwatch on his way.

I expect pretty much most of the other people/Direwolves/Dragons to die.

I don't think the Night King is on his way to Kings Landing (isn't he after Bran), but it is exactly what Robb Stark did with his forces against Tywin in the first season.

They're funding Cersie's hiring of the Golden Company, I think they only get involved when people fail to pay their debts and Cersie paid the crown's debts in full with Tyrell gold last season. A drawn out siege of Kings Landing could effect their repayments, but I don't think there are enough episodes left for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

The Golden Company are famous for never having broken a contract, it would be silly to have them switch sides last minute imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

golfball37 wrote: »
    The Golden Company are famous for never having broken a contract, it would be silly to have them switch sides last minute imo.

What if the leader is the faceless man?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I expect them to switch because of a pre-existing contract in place. Next week can't end any other way than Jon/Dany's armies being gutted..... possibly with even another dragon going down.

Realistically there will be nothing for Cersei's army to fight unless some sort of swerve happens with the Golden Company.

I expect them to switch because of a pre-existing contract in place. Next week can't end any other way than Jon/Dany's armies being gutted..... possibly with even another dragon going down.

Realistically there will be nothing for Cersei's army to fight unless some sort of swerve happens with the Golden Company.

Jon and Dany in chains in front of Cersei. Tyrion too probably. Qyburn / Jamie approaches the throne to beg a pardon for Tyrion. Mask off, needle out, poke poke poke, Cersei dead by Aryas hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I also loved Davos and Gilly both connecting with a lookalike of Sylese who taught them both to read.

Shireen.

They're funding Cersie's hiring of the Golden Company, I think they only get involved when people fail to pay their debts and Cersie paid the crown's debts in full with Tyrell gold last season. A drawn out siege of Kings Landing could effect their repayments, but I don't think there are enough episodes left for that.

I completely forgot that the iron bank had been repaid. I thought she had reneged on them. Still can't remember them being paid tbh but I guess it has been a while between seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm not.
    Beric resurrected Lady Stonehart/Cat. And then he died.
    Thoros wouldnt' do it so Beric gave his life.
    In the show, Thoros is the one who resurrects people and he's dead, so no more resurrections.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

In the show, Thoros is the one who resurrects people and he's dead, so no more resurrections.
    This is also true in the book.
    Beric creating Stoneheart was the only time he done it. Every other time it was Thoros.

So conceivable Beric does it, sacrifices himself to bring Sansa (or someone back).

Pter wrote: »
    So conceivable Beric does it, sacrifices himself to bring Sansa (or someone back).

If the dragons get destroyed could the magic go out of the world again, leaving Jon dead, Beric dead and the Red Woman powerless, the Mountain dead, etc..

Depends if the dragons caused the magic or vice versa.

....... wrote: »
    If the dragons get destroyed could the magic go out of the world again, leaving Jon dead, Beric dead and the Red Woman powerless, the Mountain dead, etc..
    It's possible for all bar the Mountain.
    That was Qyburns ****ery rather than their magic.
    It's also what makes Dany resistant to fire

• Advertisement

Depends if the dragons caused the magic or vice versa.

The lore is that the dragons caused the magic to come back into the world.

But only some magic - the NK was still there up beyond the wall sticking his finger into Craster baby faces and making them white walkers.

I know the lore says that but......the lore is based on century old observations. It could be a chicken and egg thing that was misidentified back in the day (i think).

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It's possible for all bar the Mountain.

There does seem to be different ways of being undead.

Theres Jon Snow/Beric Dondarrion - raised by the magic of the Lord of Light.
    Theres White Walkers - made by the NK.
    Theres wights - made by white walkers - they seem mindless.
    Theres the Mountain.
    Theres Benjen Stark - he has a weird undead buzz going on.
    Theres the NK - made by the children of the forest.
    Theres 3ER - currently Bran, but previously yer man in the tree roots.

And warging seems to have taken a back seat entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought that too and checked the wiki. It says they broke a contract with Myr in A Feast For Crows.

If I'm being honest I don't like the idea of Arya being the one to kill Cersei. I'd prefer it to be Jaime as I think it makes sense. Jaime is the kingslayer and perfectly suits the Valanquor storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Would be interesting to see Beric give his flame to someone. It'd be a better nod than seeing the Hound piss in a river anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I've a theory going on that anyone who deliberately takes life ( as against self defense or in battles) gets their coneuppance e.g. Rob and Ned Stark and their be-headings.
    Also I'm not sure we aren't being told a tale with a message here and that all the power seekers will come undone and only the unassuming or altruistic will be left, eg Gendry, Varys, Thormund, Brienne.
    There will be some picking up the pieces after next week but the Night King will surely live to feature again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I've a theory going on that anyone who deliberately takes life ( as against self defense or in battles) gets their coneuppance e.g. Rob and Ned Stark and their be-headings.
    Also I'm not sure we aren't being told a tale with a message here and that all the power seekers will come undone and only the unassuming or altruistic will be left, eg Gendry, Varys, Thormund, Brienne.
    There will be some picking up the pieces after next week but the Night King will surely live to feature again.

Not to poke holes, but... Thormund smashed the Lord O' Bones into pieces with his own club... Ned and Rob both executed tried criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought that too and checked the wiki. It says they broke a contract with Myr in A Feast For Crows.

They broke that contract to honour an older one, Beneath the Gold, Bitter Steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

awec wrote: »
    Tormund's character is starting to bug me. They've just turned him into the comic effect character. Big, uncouth tough guy who likes the big woman.

Every time he opens his mouth they try make him say something witty.

Agree with the poster above who mentioned they should have talked more about what they saw.

Isn't the line about suckling a giant's teat straight from the books?

Tormund Tall-Talker is one of his names, isn't it? He's always talking ****e in the books.

I was a bit blindsided by actually having a good episode not full of gratuitous nudity and violence to keep you distracted from how badly written and devoid of substance it was. It was a bit of a throwback episode to when GRRM was still principally responsible for its contents.

Set things up very nicely, and some really important moments from characters that hadn't had much or any screen time yet, but needed to to make sense of and complete their arcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

jebidiah wrote: »
    Not to poke holes, but... Thormund smashed the Lord O' Bones into pieces with his own club... Ned and Rob both executed tried criminals.

🀔 that was different 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

scoobydude wrote: »
    Easy... Simpsons season 8 brought us some of the greatest moments in comedy

I ment the other guy.

Varys' character doesn't seem to be doing much in recent times. We haven't had so much as an intelligence report from him, plus he seems blind to what's going on nowadays. If Varys had spies in King's Landing, he might have known about Cersei's plan but i'm guessing his spies now belong to Qyburn. Which means Varys is kind've useless if he can't provide information as a Spy Master.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Varys' character doesn't seem to be doing much in recent times. We haven't had so much as an intelligence report from him, plus he seems blind to what's going on nowadays. If Varys had spies in King's Landing, he might have known about Cersei's plan but i'm guessing his spies now belong to Qyburn. Which means Varys is kind've useless if he can't provide information as a Spy Master.

there is a fair bit of this going on tbh - characters are relegated largely to confine the scope of the series in order to enable it to be finished in this final season. No time for varys to intrigue, to properly meet the golden company, to have a significant role for the faceless men, even to let important dialogues finish without interruption.

This is not a criticism of the show - tbh they need to truncate the ever expanding scope of the books if they are going to tie everything up.

I had forgotten the show had Cersei pay off the iron bank, I imagine that the books intend(ed) a more important role for the bank and the golden company where it punishes her for failing to honour her debts on time, especially in light of the Lannister words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Fian wrote: »
    there is a fair bit of this going on tbh - characters are relegated largely to confine the scope of the series in order to enable it to be finished in this final season. No time for varys to intrigue, to properly meet the golden company, to have a significant role for the faceless men, even to let important dialogues finish without interruption.

This is not a criticism of the show - tbh they need to truncate the ever expanding scope of the books if they are going to tie everything up.

I had forgotten the show had Cersei pay off the iron bank, I imagine that the books intend(ed) a more important role for the bank and the golden company where it punishes her for failing to honour her debts on time, especially in light of the Lannister words.

I'm pretty sure she paid off the iron bank in full, then immediately took out another loan

• Advertisement
Advertisement