Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing breed ?

• 21-04-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Are people changing ewe type this coming year after lambing or even ram breed ?

What way will people be expanding this year or in the coming years , after this years lambing ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭kay 9

Going to change from mules to something that can have lambs themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 24 manno

Something wrong with your mules or ram if they can't lamb themselves. Mine rarely ever need to be handled. I run them with Texel and Suffolk rams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

manno wrote: »
    Something wrong with your mules or ram if they can't lamb themselves. Mine rarely ever need to be handled. I run them with Texel and Suffolk rams.

The 2nd generation Suffolk of a mule is a great ewe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Same experience here unless a triplet coming backways the odd time. Always have very big lambs and milk well off there back

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

kay 9 wrote: »
    Going to change from mules to something that can have lambs themselves

What age were your mules? Lambing would never usually be an issue with them, some people would say they wear out to soon (bad bags and prone to the odd prolapse) but I would say they probably rear as many lambs in 5 crops as a lot of other crosses in 6 or 7 so it’s easily justified to replace them earlier if any issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement