Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag?

Options
  • 21-04-2019 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I recently got a Canon SX430 IS. I'd like to take some photos outdoors. I'd like some kind of carrying case I can put across my shoulder but don't want to advertise the fact I'm carrying a reasonably expensive camera. I'm looking for something that doesn't have a massive camera brand logo written on it. Maybe something that looks like a fishing bag or small rucksack, just a bag that looks like it contains something that isn't of any value. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a bag made by Temba that just looks like a courier bag, but carries some camera gear very well.
    They make several sizes from like 8 to 17. I have a 13.
    I can carry one camera body, a battery grip, 2 spare batteries, 12mm, 14mm, 20mm and 50mm primes, 28-75mm and 70-300mm zooms, a flashgun, a weatherproof cover for the bag, another for the camera, a tripod quick-release shoe, and a color control target.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Get some camera bag inserts and then use any bag you want.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I use this one all the time and it's fairly discrete: https://www.connscameras.ie/p/lowepro-event-messenger-150/p-056035364631

It's fits a lot but there's also a smaller version.

elperello wrote: »
    This Berghaus day pack will take a lot of gear and is easy to carry.
    You will look like any other hill walker and nobody will think it's full of camera gear.

Completely unsuitable. Just drop all your stuff in the top and let it slosh around?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Effects wrote: »
    Completely unsuitable. Just drop all your stuff in the top and let it slosh around?

Well if you do just drop all your gear in you may have a problem.
    On the other hand if you pack carefully....
    Working for me for years now.

Well if you do just drop all your gear in you may have a problem.
    On the other hand if you pack carefully....
    Working for me for years now.

How do you separate your camera from your lenses and other gear?
    I have a bunch of different bags, for different purposes, but a top loading bag that's not designed for camera gear doesn't seem great to me. I prize functionality more than anything. I also remove the Lowe Pro logos from my bags and have never had any issues in terms of safety.

How do you separate your camera from your lenses and other gear?
    I have a bunch of different bags, for different purposes, but a top loading bag that's not designed for camera gear doesn't seem great to me. I prize functionality more than anything. I also remove the Lowe Pro logos from my bags and have never had any issues in terms of safety.

I have a couple of re-purposed old bags that I put the camera and tele lens into so they don't bump off each other. I can get my lunch and waterproof pants in as well, water bottle in the side pocket .

Perhaps I should have explained that I do a bit of hill walking and sometimes like to take the camera. I find the frame of the Berghaus very comfortable.

If not carrying other gear I can just put the camera bag into the backpack.
    Taking the logos off sounds like a good idea if one is concerned about security.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should have explained that I do a bit of hill walking and sometimes like to take the camera. I find the frame of the Berghaus very comfortable.

I've been looking for a decent bag that will work for both camera and hiking actually. I use a Lowe Pro Vertex a lot in the city, but I find the hip straps a bit high.
    I usually put a smaller camera bag into my bigger hiking bag but would prefer something that functioned for both a hiking bag and camera bag.

I've been looking for a decent bag that will work for both camera and hiking actually. I use a Lowe Pro Vertex a lot in the city, but I find the hip straps a bit high.
    I usually put a smaller camera bag into my bigger hiking bag but would prefer something that functioned for both a hiking bag and camera bag.

I find that the airflow frame is the key to comfort in a day pack.
    I have used a few bags over the years but I find the Berghaus the best.

There is also a Lowe Alpine available with a frame - Airzone znd18. It has two zipped pockets and an open pouch at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I put my camera bag into an old ruck sack. Nice snug fit, can just about get at everything, looks to the whole world like I'm carrying spare socks and a packed lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Just bought my first camera to use on an upcoming trip to Iceland but now im looking for a backpack that can be used for both camera (Canon m100 + 2 lens) and waterproofs, flask, map etc. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Just bought my first camera to use on an upcoming trip to Iceland but now im looking for a backpack that can be used for both camera (Canon m100 + 2 lens) and waterproofs, flask, map etc. Any recommendations?

Sounds like a job for the full-size National Geographic camera bag. (Lots of room for lots of crap, built very ruggedly, and with very supportive and pretty comfortable harnesses to spread the weight of the bag and it's contents across your shoulders, chest, and hips.
    The really big ones, I don't think are made anymore, so you might need to find them used. The ones they now call "large" aren't nearly as large.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use one of these: Manhattan Portage

With inserts like this: Ape Case

I keep different selections of gear in seperate inserts so I can easily pick and chose what I carry... I can also use the bag for other stuff, because I can easily remove the camera gear. The roll top bag is incredible quality, difficult to steal from and super waterproof...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A quick look on Amazon came up with Lowepro 250 AW II Fastpack Backpack for Camera I've no idea if it would work for you but I can vouch for Lowepro gear in general.

Also spotted this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Whistler-450-Backpack-Camera/dp/B013JHU9SS/ a few more options - but at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I wrap my cameras in t-shirts and throw them into my normal backpack.

Advertisement